[Help]Custom Spell [Read on for description]

Maximusje

Reaction score
I'm having a difficulty with a spell and I need your help.

The spell is based on Breath of Fire, but instead of fire, there is a missile flying towards the target.

What I want to make is that when this spell hits a certain unit-type (in this case, a male hero), it should do 10 extra damage (on top of the normal 10 damage).

Currently I have the following:

Trigger:
  • feministattackon
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • ((Unit-type of (Target unit of ability being cast)) Equal to Hunter) and ((Ability being cast) Equal to Arrow Attack (Feminist))
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Add (Target unit of ability being cast) to feministattackon

Trigger:
  • feministattackoff
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Stops casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to The Feminist
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in feministattackon and do (Unit - Set life of (Picked unit) to ((Life of (Picked unit)) - 10.00))
      • Unit Group - Remove all units from feministattackon

I hoped that by making the spell like this that when the arrow hit a Hunter, he would receive 10 damage on top of the 10 regular damage. Unfortunately, the casting unit stops casting the ability before the missile hits the target, so that the Hunter receives the damage sooner.

Also, if the missile misses the Hunter, it still hits him because these triggers don't work like the regular Breath of Fire where the spell targets a point or unit, but can be evaded.

So... does anybody here know a solution to my problems?

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I think you could make the missile a dummy unit, and once the dummy is within X range of the target of the ability, he will receive the damage.

EDIT: Lemme know if this helps.

Maximusje

Reaction score
I think you could make the missile a dummy unit, and once the dummy is within X range of the target of the ability, he will receive the damage.

EDIT: Lemme know if this helps.

Well it's not a perfect way to do it like this.

I have made a dummy catapult that casts a breath of fire without missile art to the first trigger. It now looks like this:

Trigger:
  • Arrow Attack Feminist
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • ((Unit-type of (Target unit of ability being cast)) Equal to Hunter) and ((Ability being cast) Equal to Arrow Attack (Feminist))
    • Actions
      • Wait 0.50 seconds
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Catapult for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral Pandaren Brewmaster - Breath Of Fire (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Remove (Last created unit) from the game

I added "wait 0.50 seconds" so that the arrow of the normal attack is almost at the same location as the breath of fire attack (luckily 0.50 was my first guess :p).

Thanks for your suggestion - it definately looks better now.

Now the attack can also miss, so the biggest problem is solved.

The only very small issue is the visual of the spell: the damage of breath of fire is done like 0.0x seconds after the normal arrow impacted. Not a problem though and I think I will keep it like this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.