General 'Horror frog' breaks own bones to produce claws

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
"Amphibian horror" isn't a movie genre, but on this evidence perhaps it should be. Harvard biologists have described a bizarre, hairy frog with cat-like extendable claws.

Trichobatrachus robustus actively breaks its own bones to produce claws that puncture their way out of the frog's toe pads, probably when it is threatened.

David Blackburn and colleagues at Harvard University's Museum of Comparative Zoology, think the gruesome behaviour is a defence mechanism.

The researchers say there are salamanders that force their ribs through their skin to produce protective barbs on demand, but nothing quite like this mechanism has been seen before.

Read the whole article here.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
dn13991-1_250.jpg

fur? claws? on a frog? man that's creepy...

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score
Wow, that is both creepy and awesome.

QFT.^^

In Cameroon, they are roasted and eaten. Hunters use long spears and machetes to kill the frogs, apparently to avoid being hurt by their claws.

Frog attack!
The fact that they got hair scares me more than their 'claws'. Wuäh.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Thats no ordinary frog... thats: the were-frog
if it bites you you will turn into a normal frog every full moon.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, thats creepy

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
The fact that they got hair scares me more than their 'claws'. Wuäh.

Here's what gives me the gribblies:

In Cameroon, they are roasted and eaten. Hunters use long spears and machetes to kill the frogs, apparently to avoid being hurt by their claws.

People who have lived with these frogs for generations -- who hunt and eat them on a regular basis -- are still scared of these frogs. "No, that spear isn't long enough! Don't you know anything? And you need a machete, too. And maybe a rifle. Can't be too careful."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.