How do the creators of Dota protect their maps?

Ouguiya

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

The question I have today might seem a bit weird, but I urgently need a good answer to it nontheless.

The question simply is: How did or do the creators of DotA protect their map?

I am asking this because I remember vividly the time when dota was known as one of the hardest nuts to break in terms of map protection. Noobs didn't stand much chance.

My problem is simply this: Even though I am not really in favor of map protection, it has become a sad necessity since so many people are just waiting for maps to be released, just to immidietly insert cheats, just because they cannot win otherwise.

I have seen this quite planly with my latest map, Footmen Chronicles. It is only 1 month old, and is only at version 1.55, and already there are hacked versions all over the place (especially epicwar, where there is no control of who uploaded the map).

I currently am using Vexorian's map optimizer (version 1.47c if I am not mistaken), but this doesn't seem to bother some people.

Thus, I hope that someone of you has a better map protection idea to make it quite waterproof for most of the people out there with no knowledge whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Ouguiya

Ouguiya

Reaction score
Yes, sorry, I got the version number wrong.

What I was hoping for was maybe a manual change to perform in the Map-MPQ file or maybe running multiple programs (if this is even possible without creating severe bugs and errors)

Yours,

Ouguiya

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
Don't matter what you do, if warcraft can open your map in game, so it can be deprotected, no matter what program you use.

Some people are saying "IceFrog Use Vexorian map optimizer" other people say "IceFrog use japan program" bla bla...

Both can be deprotected easy without any problem. The quest is, WHAT OPTION YOU ARE USING?

Vexorian Map Optimizer can protect map very good, just active remove WE files/temporary files or something like this.

Just a add, Vexorian Map Optimizer can be used with the japan program, so if you got a map with 3mb, vexorian protect it and make 2,5mb, then japan program improve it and make more hard the protection and make a map with 2mb (just example)

Both program can be founded in wc3campaign.

Edit: Japan/korean/asian program see how it work and you can use it if want, but just one thing... MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, because it can f*ck your map deleting all models/texture/BTN/units in map and other problems.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
There's been other protection methods which I can't remember.
You can try and Search for them though :eek: .

EDIT: I don't think using two protection programs would work :confused: ?
And Vexorian's WC3 Map Optimizer isn't actually made to protect maps;
It's just an 'added' feature.

Ouguiya

Reaction score
Hello again! Thanks for both answers!

Yes I knew that of course, but it makes it impossible to open in the World editor, which can already be called a "protection".

Also, @ Laiev, I know that any map can be deprotected, from own expierience.

However, like I said, there is a diffrence between maps which any run-down cheater can open with some pre-made program, and those which require some skill and knowledge and multiple programs to deprotect.

My only wish is to protect the map as good as possible. I don't intend to make it unbreakable, just was robust as it can be.

Thanks again,

Yours,

Ouguiya

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
You can make two versions of your map;
Then add the crashing triggers into the one you release ;) .

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
@WolfieNoCT

Yes, vexorian map optimizer can protected map just removing the WE files from the map lol

and you can use 2 program ya, just know how to do it, some programs need WE files to improve somethings, if you remove it before you use the other program, the program will crash.

You can use 3 program too, but don't need because the 3º is Widgetizer, what just convert then to .txt and .slk (vexorian and japan program do it)

@Ouguiya

If you got time, search Ultimate Protect System (or something like this) here and a 'expansion' of this what make it more hard to break, after it just close it with some program what you prefer

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
There's no point in going further than vex's optimizing. It obfuscates the code and stops newbs from opening it in the editor. That's all you'll ever achieve.

The hostbot I write has to be able to read map MPQ files in order to create games people can join. I can definitively state that I have never met protection I couldn't beat.

Of course my goals don't include making modifications, but that's pretty trivial when you can extract the map files. For example I once removed the ward classification from the units in castle fight, so I could control them. This was before the secure checksums, so I even tested with friends if it would work seamlessly with the other map (it didn't, caused desyncs).

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
Icefrog also hides alot of the data so if noob unprotect it the costom data wil not show up

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
there are multiple ways.
I don't know the exact name (or method) but there are scripts which detect the number of functions, and if it's higher than a set amount (aka: someone added more) it stops the game, or something akin to that. Someone needs to clarify this one.
Name functions weirdly, and use equations in place of set numbers. 5 = 2+2(2-1)-1 = 5 *hopefully* This method shouldn't be used in functions which are used often.

Monitoring variables such as hero level, kills to death ratio, average damage, resources, health, ect. A weird number either means one kick ass player, or one shitty ass one. Once again, fragment (and try to mislead) what the functions do. The messier you make them, the better.

The weakest anti-cheat method I can think of is simply detecting common cheat strings from your hacked map. Once again, fragmentation and misleading will make it a pain in the ass for the deprotector.

It's very hard to stop the map from opening, but you can make it a pain to do anything on it.

Reaction score
Any map can be hacked, simple as that.

You don't even need to open the map to "hack" it.

Just use Vex's map optimizer and leave it at that, don't go out of your way to protect it.

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
If you convert all object files in your map to .txt and .slk, you don't need much work to get it hard to protect, peoples can deprotect map easy, but restore those files is a f*ck, lot's of people is lazy to do that :D

Protect a map is just for ALL people don't open it, but ever will have a guy what will try to open it.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Widgetizer+Vex's Map Optimizer

Bonus(Set it in Vex's Map optimizer) : (I learn from DotA .j file)
Custom charmap for new functions/variables name : IO10

However, DotA Maps now is hijacked. There are some versions contain cheats is releasing.

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
Custom charmap for new functions/variables name : IO10

I honestly don't get the point of reducing the number of characters. Oh no! I need to use some sort of variable renaming tool to understand the code!

Wait a second, I would already have needed to do that. And now my map file is larger because function and variables names need to be longer due to the reduced charset.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.