-Icewind-

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
-Icewind- (1.06a)

previewpicwebsitesry8.png

CURRENT VERSION: 2.10

Summary
Icewind is an "Aeon of Strife" type map taking place in frigid waters. It has a number of unique features and tons of items, allowing for countless strategies.

Customization
- Upgrade your ship individually (hit points, damage, attack speed, hit point regeneration)
- Upgrade to your a heart's desires with 11 unique ships. Upgrades carry over to these ships, however, each ship specializes in certain upgrades, and is weaker in others, so be careful what you pick!
- Buy weapons of your choice, including weapons that automatically cast spells and weapons that automatically fire. There are a total of 60 weapons to choose from.
- Choose whichever abilities you wish. Every player chooses their abilities from 2 ability docks filled with different, unique abilities. There are a total of 24 abilities to choose from.
- Every level, you get 1 piece of lumber. You can buy a normal ability for 1 lumber, or upgrade one you've already learned for 1 lumber as well. Ultimates cost 4 lumber, and have one level only.

Gameplay Modes:
- Normal Mode = everything is at default
- Gold Rush (-gr) = 2x starting gold, 2x income, 2x ship kill gold, and 2x hero gold (Hero gold is something like: Player 5 owned Player 7 for an extra ___ gold.
- Fast Spawn (-fs) = NPC (computer) waves spawn twice as fast!
- Deathmatch (-dm) = 10x starting gold, first team to achieve 15 kills together wins.
- No Traders (-nt) = No tradeboats!
- Hardcore (-hc) = No abilities, and no tradeboats!
- Gold Hoard (-gh) = First team to reach 100,000 spare gold wins.
- Speed Mode (-sm) = Units/Towers do not auto-upgrade. Heroes level 2x as fast.
- Accelerated Mode (-ac) = +5000 gold, Captains start at level 10.

Screenshots (older versions, something may be changed)

DOWNLOAD ICEWIND
Contact
BNet: Sacreligious @ Clan SCED @ Azeroth
Email: [email protected]

hellmonja27

Reaction score
this sounds so much like Battleships New Era. anyway, i wouldn't mind for another game of such, i mean why not? (anyone wanna make an aerial AoS? it would really give terrainers much fun with the terrain without worrying of playability. :D) as long as it does not feel like Battleship New Era 2.

the thing i read that i liked so far is that you can buy your ships abilities. given that this apart from item/ammo stuff, this would really give endless combinations. that would be pretty neat!

good luck and happy mapmaking.would watch out for this...

Demonfaze

Reaction score
be sure to check out all of the weapons. many of them are triggered, (casting abilities, or having other special effects), which isn't seen in any battle ships map to my knowledge. (I've tried battle ships (sked), battle ships pro, battle ships new era, 13attleships, battle ships 2, battle ships psycho, battle ships imperial, naval combat, cattle chips, ships of war, battle ships advanced, tank wars, tank wars revolution, & others)

anyway i hope you enjoy the map :cool:

P.S. Nothing in this map is based off the DotA template by Ryoko, though some people think I based this map off of it, that belief is false.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
when i saw Icewind i freaked, i was always a fan of icewind dale
imagine my disappointment? :( lol
you should add in special events, like pirates attack the northern path etc, i love having random things that cripple or enable me, it adds an element of realism and excitement :D

Demonfaze

Reaction score
1: raging, it's nice to see you like the map :p, I've hosted yours a few times too :D (love the wisp wheels one). I'd suggest you to come to my clans channel to start up a game but since you have your own clan to manage, that takes priority.

To anyone who hosts it just put lots of !!!'s and you'll usually get people =) at least that's what I do.
Thanks to all the other people who have played the map as well :cool:

2: hellmonja/others: I don't see how this could come from the DotA template, seeing how different it is except that it has 3 lanes. Lanes/passageways are completely in water, with much different pathing in every area between the lanes. Different trees, doodads, units, etc. I personally think DotA's terrain looks more natural & nicer than Icewind (Allstars v6.37 or newest, not Guinsoo's terrain), but I did not take any single bit of their terrain.

3: hellmonja: I have older versions of the map on my computer, but I'm curious, why would you want them? New versions of the map are made to improve older ones. Otherwise, why would people make new versions?

4:I've been suggested to add random effects and events, but they would alter the game and strategies in it. For example a random pirate attack could disrupt a well-planned gank, simply because of bad luck. I play this map with my friends a lot and it is almost impossible to plan strategies when game-changing things happen randomly.

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
WastedSavior said:
when i saw Icewind i freaked, i was always a fan of icewind dale
imagine my disappointment? :( lol
you should add in special events, like pirates attack the northern path etc, i love having random things that cripple or enable me, it adds an element of realism and excitement :D
Yup, me too.
But after playing some, I thought it needs vast feedback, it's great!!
Btw, I can help testing and suggesting:
Truly, the pirate idea is good, and I also suggest that you can add other events, like a seastorm, which MUST be avoided, or else ships get to be sinked.
And also, an island with a treasure, well hidden wouldn't be bad, too :)

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
Demonfaze said:
1: raging, it's nice to see you like the map :p, I've hosted yours a few times too :D (love the wisp wheels one). I'd suggest you to come to my clans channel to start up a game but since you have your own clan to manage, that takes priority.

I might pop in sometime, I'm glad you like my map aswell :p

WastedSavior

Reaction score
wouldn't that be the intention? disrupting peoples habbits? you gank people there should be an element of risk? or am i just being narrow minded in thinking that people want a challenge instead of shooting noobs in a bucket =/

Demonfaze

Reaction score
Thaaaanks for the comments :D

1 "...like a seastorm, which MUST be avoided, or else ships get to be sinked..." etc.

This would be cool in certain types of maps, for example like a survival map. But I am trying to take Icewind to a level where people can play it over and over again, doing different things, and not getting bored or frustrated after 1 or 2 tries.

I want to minimize the things that "MUST" be done so that each game has as little repitition as possible....It's boring to do the same thing over and over again.

Disrupting people's habits is up to the other team's skill. For example if someone plays a tradeboat and completes all of his jobs without being disrupted, that is either the tradeboat's skill or the other team's fault (it is easy to sink a tradeboat).

I don't see how it is fair if there is a skillled tradeboat and a weak enemy, that the skilled trader could lose simply because of a random storm. Like said above I want to make the map replayable.

Gaking people has risks, of course. If you travel in a group but don't plan correctly, you risk having your whole team killed. Ganking almost always puts you in between two enemy forces (that's really the only way to get behind someone), which is why it is dangerous. Not to mention that ganking puts you much closer to the enemy base and farther from the safety of your own base.

If you want a "challenge" as you say, where you can't plan out your actions, you should play NotD (Night of the Dead). I think it's one of the best survival maps there is, even though I personally don't enjoy survival maps (because I suck at them :rolleyes:)

-- If you're too lazy to read just read this lol :p --
*If I don't take your suggestion into the map, it is NOT because your suggestion is bad (everything suggested in this thread is awesome). It's just there's so many side effects from many changes (like random events affects teamwork & replayability) that I don't want to see changed. Just wanna make that clear... ;)

*********V1.05********* (download at first post)
--> Patch-up version, preventing backdooring, along with a few fixes & balancing
--> Added a link where you can find every version's changes (since v0.01!)

- Backdooring is now impossible. You must kill the enemy base in logical order to win.
- First Kill reworded
- Cast Net rewards nerfed, but now correctly doubles on gold rush
- Desonator tooltip fixed
- Hired Spy cost lowered to 500
- Firebrand nerfed
- Radiance buffed slightly
- Goblin Dynamite nerfed
- Central Harbor hit points buffed

WastedSavior

Reaction score
well you could always have it a mode.. host or the whole lot of people in the game can vote if they want random events or not? just an idea, cuz id love to host a game and be able to decide important things like that :D

Demonfaze

Reaction score
wow I can't believe I overlooked that haha. Great suggestion.

I'll add something like "-re" meaning "random events" game mode.
It'll probably be something like:
- Random chance every minute for a strong [alliance] creature to spawn for a random team in a random lane (lots of random's haha)
- Random chance for creeps to spawn in the side passageways
- Random chance for a weather change (each with special effects)

EDIT1: fixed post
EDIT2: host chooses game modes, typing them in the first 10 seconds. You can combine every single one in whatever order you want.

hellmonja27

Reaction score
Demonfaze said:
3: hellmonja: I have older versions of the map on my computer, but I'm curious, why would you want them? New versions of the map are made to improve older ones. Otherwise, why would people make new versions?

i just thought the new version is still not ready for a beta test (mainly coz you didn't leave a link back then) so i would like to see the old one whilei wait. but i see you already have the new one uploaded so i'm just gonna try that out, thanks...

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
Suggestions to Demonfaze:

A) Natural disasters:
What I said earlier about the storm, is that natural disasters come and go all over the gae, and ships must keep an eye on them.They could ruin a whole army.
B) Weather forecast:
Hint to solve something above.Warn players when a disaster is on
C)Fishing mini game:
Make a mini game in a place of the map, where players go challenge others in a fishing contest.The prizes are up to you.
D) Treasures:
You can make treasures in some well-hidden places on the map, and then let players search them.Of course make regions so that the location of the treasure(s) is different each time

Demonfaze

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Nikanorou :cool:
Unfortunately I don't plan on implementing them, since, looking in the future I can see problems they may cause.

@ A : I don't want to force people to watch out for a minor event like that. I'm adding a mode called "-we" that makes different types of weather changes on the map. Each type of weather affects ships differently (for example, blizzard slows rate of fire and sail speed).

However, these won't be something you can "avoid." People should be paying attention to the game, rather than side-events...

@ B : Same as A

@ C : Same. I don't want things that will draw people's attention away from the main objective. Also I don't want you to be able to get "free gold." Secondly, minigames would hinder teamwork, since they would be played solo. If they were played as a team, that would completely stop the game, so that is also not an option.

@ D : Same. It would just be a distraction to the actual map. Even though it would be exciting, it would disrupt fighting or working as a team, since people would just be looking for treasure.

hellmonja27

Reaction score
overall i'm pretty impressed. this game kicks @ss. ok let's look at the finer stuff on this one:
  • terrain - very nicely done. being a naval AoS game you took time to work on the terrain and make it look awesome. there were fine details there that were really great. going thru the straits could be a veiwing pleasure, sights weren't boring. the icey theme adds to the naval atmosphere too. very nicely done here. with the weather on it really felt cold the first time i played it.
  • shops & items - wide selection of items. DotA alone makes my head spin! this had tons! i didn't check each and everyone though, i hope there weren't any "duplicate" items but so far i've seen none and i liked most of the stuff i bought, especially the cannon ammos. missile arts were great, not only are they high on damage, they looked high on damage too.
  • upgrade system - ok, this one is cleverly done indeed. major props on this. i've experienced some maps using lumber as a special upgrading point. seperating the ship items from the real ship abilities was just amazing. this would really give a lot of combinations for players. excellent work there.
  • units - nothing to say much about the units. they're pretty decent but if i have to criticize them, maybe it's because they're the same old "ship" units. don't get me wrong on this. i'm just saying if you're looking for room for some improvement. i saw naval Aos once that used the Forgotten One as a ship. i also thought some doodads might make interesting ships. anyway the currents ones are still ok.
ok some things to point out:
  • balance - ok why are the towers and creeps of the other forces are stronger than mine? creeps and towers on both sides are supposed to be equally matched, aren't they? i played solo but the enemy just keeps coming and it became kinda frustrating one time.
  • floating texts - ok the floating texts on the shops, that i approve (still i'd rather do without but gameplay would suffer over beauty) but the other floating texts on the terrain just ruins the scene. people can always click on suff and see their names. you have an awesome terrain and if some of the floating texts aren't needed, it would be nice if you removed them.
  • base - the base is a bit hard to manage. the repair bay was in this side but the shops were waaaay out there. so it takes a bit more time to do stuff on the base than you'd wish.
  • too slow - i don't know if this is due to the imbalance or the ships' movespeed (movespeed are ok though. ships moving too fast are just silly to look at) but somehow the game felt a bit dragging and heavy. after 45 minutes i guess, i still were able to destroy just one enemy tower. i can't really pinpoint what causes this feeling but the gameplay really seems dragging.
ok i only have one suggestion. it's a crazy one actually so that's why i will give only one. i was thinking of a naval Aos game that also used land units. u know if you can't fight the tower head on you can unboard a bunch of guys somewhere and have them sneak behind the tower. they could like detonate something that would do some consireable amount of damage to the towers. they could also find some hidden stuff and quests around the terrains. but this would change everything so it's just an idea for you to think about. maybe perhaps in IceWind 2? or in another naval Aos you might think.

overall: the map has a lot of potential, seriously. there were many good things going in the map (especially the upgrade system) but i think some things need fixing. now that i've reread this some of the things might just be my preference, but you decide. things like the floating texts aren't really needed to be changed but as a player, i just would like to point it out. this is still a great game and i can see it can only go better with upcoming versions. goodluck and happy mapmaking... :D

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
Suggestions...

1.-asf mode (-airsurfing):
On this mode, the ships can fly and go all over the map<-.-(quite useless?)
2.item Dead man's chest:
An item that grants bargain prices to other items of the beholder.
3.Smack Cannon (spell):
A torpille is thrown in an area, and creates a tidal wave blowing dmg to nearby enemies
4.Evasive ways (spell-passive):
The ship's prong can swiftly swing, avoiding some of the enemies' attacks
5.Nightscope (spell):
Allows the captain to see farther at night

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
Hey, I'm an avid fan of this map, and I'm just going to bump this thread and give update info:

The official site for Icewind is now http://icewind.scumedit.net/.
You can download the newest version here.

Icewind is currently, as of this post, at version 2.10. It is radically different from what is was when this thread was created. This changelog shows that Demonfaze, better known as Sacreligious, has radically updated the map. There are new game modes, weapons, abilities, ships, trading quests, and much more.

Personally, I love the customizability of this map. It's way better than any Battleships map I've ever played.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.