Importing custom made heroes and units from one map to another, can anyone help me?

M

Mangs

Hi everyone. I’m creating my own campaign in W3 for myself and some friends, using our own made character to make a story. I’m enjoying it so far, but then I hit a huge bump in the road.

Seeing as it’s a campaign with several maps after each other, I really want to be able to import the heroes in the object manager with all their custom-made abilities and stats so that I can use the same heroes in several missions without having to re-create them. I’ve tried to use the import editor, but something tells me that isn’t what it’s there for, or maybe I’m just doing something wrong.

I have searched allot on the internet and all I can find is guides on how to import sound, skins and stuff like that (that includes this forum, yes I have searched allot before I made this topic, but maybe not enough, I don't know), that doesn’t concern me, all I want to be able to do is to take a hero I’ve made in one map and simply copy/paste him/her to the next one. Can anyone help me do this? It sounds simple, but I’ve troubled myself for hours in the editor and can’t find any way.

Thanks for reading =)

why dont you just take the map you already have with all the custom made unit and abilitys etc. and just do it like this:

delete all unit/doodads placed on the map > select another tilset (whatever you want) and re-create the terrain how you would like it.

another way would be: go into the campaign editor > select the header "Custom Data" there you have to put all your custom unit/abilities etc in ONCE and its useable for every map in your campaign

just make shure that you are editing the maps inside of the campaign you used those cutom units, youll find them in the object editor "campaign Units/abilities/etc" if you did everything right

Crt+C the hero on the map you are exporting from, open the map you want to import them to WITHOUT closing WE and Ctrl+V in object editor in your map. I'd copy over all the custom abilities first then the heroes. GL ;)

if he wants to use them in a campaign (like he said) the campaign - custom data way is much easier

just make shure that you are editing the maps inside of the campaign you used those cutom units, youll find them in the object editor "campaign Units/abilities/etc" if you did everything right

Thank you very much for your help, but there is another thing I am wondering about.

How do I edit the map inside the campaign I created? I've edited the campaign editor and pasted in all the special stuff, but I don't know how to implement them in the map I'm making.

save your current map, go into your campaign editor > select the header "general" > in the big windos on the right side with the topic "map files" rightclick on your campaign and select "add map" > add your map > your map should show up in the "map files" window now, rightclick on your map and select "edit map"

Thank you for all your help, I’m really grateful.

However, something weird happened when I followed those instructions. Everything went well and I managed to make my own campaign with special data, but then I hit another bump in the road.

In order to test it out, I did something really simple. I edited the campaign editor and went into the data section, there I made a copy of the Tauren Chieftain, made him my own special hero, gave him some ability and a special name. I saved him, and he was on the unit palette when I looked there. I placed him on the map and started the game, but what happened? An ordinary Tauren Chieftain was there in his place. I tried multiple times with different units, simply copying footmen and called them handmen (pun intended) just to see if it would work with units, but when I tested the map, nothing but ordinary footmen were in the game (yes I checked multiple times and I am sure that it was the custom units I placed on the map).

Obviously, the things I do in the campaign editor shows on the unit palette, but in-game they become changed to normal units of the original kind I used to create them.

Any helpful advice on this problem?

just an idea, dont test the map via test button thingy, instead start warcraft and go to singleplayer > custom campaign > select yours and try (ofc you would have to copy your map into the campaign folder before).

do still the normal unit appear?

Yes they did, so I simply did it the easy way. I have one map with fixed units and when I’m done I simply remove everything and re-create the terrain and all that stuff.

I have however, run into YET another bump in the road. I am studying the demo campaign from Warcraft III and using it as some sort of “manual” on how to create maps. One problem however there seems to be no visible solution to.

I’ve created my own campaign, edited the loading screen to contain the first scenario and causing it to load it when you press the button, but when I press the button in-game (aka starting the scenario) the campaign screen simply reloads instead of loading the actual scenario.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.