Importing help

Single Left Click and Drag, Single Right Click and Single Right Click Copy, Move mouse to the folder of the destination then Single Right Click and Single Left Click Paste.

Got that all down? :rolleyes:

If you don't know where the Left and Right Clickers are go here.

Edit: LOL Did you really +rep me for this? :p thats funny.

@Sevion
good one :p

@Naga Captain
Just a hint mate; when we're talking about creating folders and moving files into them we mean the actual file that you got somewhere on your hard drive, not anything inside the editor.

I'm sorry I mixed up the order of things, but creating folders + moving files comes before importing anything :eek:

:)

*-reps Advena for double posting*

So... like what's your progress? We can't help without your progress XD

Nah, I didn't -rep XP

d[-_-]b

Sorry guys, been busy with other things xD

Well, I'll like, download the image, and it'll open up the editor to nothing, not even untitled, just blackness, and I don't know where to go from from that spot.

Ok well, first you need a map :)
You can create a smallest-possible-whatevermap just to test making this import.
Make sure you remove the melee triggers tho, and place a unit on the map that will (eventually) have the ability or item that have your icon.

So, having created the map we want to construct the custom path that the image file will use. This means creating folders in the wc3 main/root/whatever folder on your hard drive as we've explained before. First one called ReplacableTextures, as my screenshot in an above post shows, and inside that we create three others named as we said earlier.

What you have now is where to save your image file, when you have converted it to .tga and changed the name of it (*BTN_filename.tga* for example).
It's also important to get it into the appropriate folder (CommandButtons folder for active abilities, items, and the like / CommandButtonsDisabled for any disabled icons in your map). Also remember that disabled and active icons have to be renamed diffrently, also as described in som above post :p

Having made sure that all files (let's start with just the single active one that you already have) are in the correct folder, you can import your file into the map, using the Import Manager (looks like a white document with a green arrow on it). Inside the manager you click the button that looks the same as the managers (white and green blabla) that is named Import or something like that (at least, you don't want Export :p).
Find the file in the apropriate folder where you saved it earlier, and double click it to import it into the Import Manager.

There, if you haven't had any wierd problems this far we're doing pretty good :D
Now we're fast approaching the difficult part :p

Now is when we have to change the custom path of the imported file. Open the imported file's settings by double clicking it inside the Import Manager, and then check the box that says "Use Custom Path". The gray field where the path is displayed turns white and you can edit the text inside it.
This is where most people mess up, at least a few times (I know I did, at least :p).
I assume that you're image is the active version of an active button (I mean, not disabled and not passive), and therefor I'll try to construct how your custom path for this single file would look.
Something like this:
ReplacableTextures/CommandButtons/BTNnagacaptaincoolspelliconthing.tga

The colors are for hightlighting what's important ;)

And now, to the great finnale. Now you open your unit editor (don't have WE open, forgot exactly what it's called but you know what I mean I hope) and got to the "abilities" tab inside it.
Here you either create a new ability or change an old one. What you do is; look at where it says "Art - Icon, normal" or something like that. If it's a hero ability it will require a "research" icon too, identical to the "normal" one.
But let's stick to "normal" for now. Open that line to edit it.
Now you see the usual fields where you for example have the dropdown menu that lets you select category of icons and another for the icons. Below those, we find what we're looking for. The dropdown menu that displays all imported images in the map.
Select your icon in that list, press enter, assign the ability to the unit on your map and save :D

Now you have to test if you can see it!
(when you pause you will still get the green-image-of-death, but that's because we haven't imported a disabled version yet. we'll deal with that later)

I hope anyone bothered to read my rambling. And I hope it helps! :D :p

Alright, I'll do everything, but for some stupid reason, it'll say, "No files imported" or something gay like that :banghead::banghead:

Sometimes you get the Custom Path wrong and it won't show up under the Imported drop-down box.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.