Importing WoW models

mylemonblue

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Or they might be impressed that you went that far :p
Or not... o_O

Either way, I'd like to take some models (Mainly the raptor, love that cuddly model..) for personal use, but it'd be useless in WC3. If the animations and rigging were intact, I'd try some rendering for digital art, but that's just about likely as asking Blizzard for a free level 80 character, seeing as how picky application specific rigging is.

*psst, close the thread!*

Chaos_Knight

Reaction score
But i.. Okay. Why the **** would BLIZZARD agree to that?? Giving someone a model from the game(WoW) and then giving it to Wc3?? They wont earn muchmoney at that, huh??

mylemonblue

Reaction score
Regardless, it doesn't matter what Blizz thinks, it's against this sites policies (I bet.) to support this.

baaabuuu

Reaction score
uhmmm

well i know a site where you can download the models, but according to the
newest update of their rules(blizzards) it is not illegal, anyway the domainname if you still want to is wowinwc3.forumcircle.com, funny thing is that some of them gote allowed by blizzard to make a wc3 mod with wow models.

mylemonblue

Reaction score
"funny thing is that some of them gote allowed by blizzard to make a wc3 mod with wow models. "
Probably because Qarcraft 3 is their game?

I wager they would not feel the same way if you wanted to port them into a Half-Life mod

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Unless Blizzard lawsuited you for some copyright look-a-like stuff.

I don't think they can do that.

Either way, I'd like to take some models (Mainly the raptor, love that cuddly model..) for personal use, but it'd be useless in WC3. If the animations and rigging were intact, I'd try some rendering for digital art, but that's just about likely as asking Blizzard for a free level 80 character, seeing as how picky application specific rigging is.

It won't be.

I wager they would not feel the same way if you wanted to port them into a Half-Life mod

They wouldn't even let me use the name for an Oblivion mod. I think it took all of a week to get a letter telling me stop making it.

mylemonblue

Reaction score
Using the name 'Warcraft', or one of the characters? (eg, Alexstrasza(I luvs...), Arthas, Thrall, etc)

Anyway, I was talking about using the models from WoW in a mod -___-

EDIT: Nvm... I think I see what you meant :p

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
i don't remember the file type of wow, but mdx and mdl is from warcraft

mylemonblue

Reaction score
Does WoW using .mdl or .mdx file on the "Model" folder?

:confused:

Neither. That's why you have to use an external program to convert them into Warcraft 3 friendly format. Then you have to use the Model Editor (I forget the guys name, my bad...) to remove unecisary animations and bones before finally importing it into WC3.

Critters like the mature dragons (eg Onyxia) have a large number of animations that aren't needed and consume extra memory. Additionally, cameras are often way off, and animations loop very quickly, making the unit quite awkward to look at when it's standing still. Best to use native Warcraft models rather than WoW, no matter how awesome they look.

Dirac

Reaction score
Wow i never though this thread would go hot.

Im still very interested about gettin a human model into my wc3 map, if someone knows how, plz pm me or post here

mylemonblue

Reaction score
Again, no one is going to post the exact method here because it's against the sites policy. Emailing you or PMing, that's another story.

Anyway, from the old method using to rip models, you needed several external applications. WoW itself (duh.), a Model Editor that can edit animation lists, a file converter, an MPQ Archive app, and a program that can load the WoW list to extract the textures/models (The only one that could load TBC is long dead and no longer works. It can't even rip from Classic anymore.).

EDIT: As for poly count (And file size, respectively), unless you're going for a completely nude model, it's going to be too high of a file size for Bnet, let alone single player in a large map. The reason is a player model (Orc, Tauren, Human, Blood Elf, take your pick) is quite high compared to WC3 standards. Add to that the leg armor, helmets, shields, weapons, etc... And the poly count would crush a lot of maps. It's not worth it. Model / request a low-poly replica of the character you want.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.