LithUnwrap can't read my .mdl

Rarktor

Reaction score
I'm trying to pass a skinless, unanimated model through LithUnwrap for the purpose of starting a custom skin for my custom unit. I'm using Gmax to create the model and dexport to copy it pice by pice over to notepad to create my .mdl. LithUnwrap can't read my .mdl though. This is my first time making a custom skin so I think I'm messing up the .mdl when i create it.

- I'm trying to start a custom skin, I don't want to use one of Blizzard's or anyone else.
- I can't unwrap the UVW of the texture because I haven't made the texture yet.
- I am completely aware that the attached .mdl has no texture. It's purpose is only to pass through LithUnwrap to flatten out the model's faces so I can start the texture.
- LithUnwrap can read other .mdl files, something is wrong with mine.
- I have been removing the first 4 and last 3 lines from the .mdl before trying it in LithUnwrap, I left them in the attached .mdl on purpose so someone else can tell me if I'm cutting out something I need.
- I am starting a custom skin from scratch.

Anyone see why LithUnwrap can't read my .mdl?

Rarktor

Reaction score
Biturn can't read it either and that was what I was using to try to convert it to a .3ds, and LithUnwrap can do .mdl and .3ds.

I'm going to skin the final model in Gmax once I make the skin. The attached .mdl file is just for this forum and LithUnwrap, It's not the actual model, It's a copy.

I remove first 4 lines and last 3, convert to .mdx with MdlxConv(at least that works), then try to open the .mdx with Biturn. No preview, "File is corrupt or unknown version, Error loading data"

mordocai

Reaction score
no you export from gmax into a 3ds format, skin it in lithunwrap, re-import to gmax THEN apply skin, and after that export as mdx. There you have your skin

Fire-Wolf

S.P.D Smoke Pot Daily, Legalize It!
Reaction score
... how else can you freaking export files. Its the same way...
Please fix your post. Thats rude useless spam. He obviously hasn't done this before. I couldn't help, as I haven't ever modeled.

Rarktor

Reaction score
I assume there is another export script other than dexport? I tried saving the notepad as a .3dx rather than a .mdl. LithUnwrap sais: "Error. Not a 3DS model file. Primary ID not found." "There was an error reading the file."

Also, I pulled the Footman.mdx with Warcraft3Viewer. LithUnwrap dose'nt open .mdx. Converted to Footman.mdl with MdlxConv...

LithUnwrap: "There was an error reading the file."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.