Loading Screen Subtitle

Luth

Lex Luthor!
Reaction score
WE has a character limit for the title/subtitle. Is that a hardcoded map limit, or a soft limit thats part of WE only? I need one extra character in my subtitle. Whats the best way to go about adding it, if possible?

Luth

Lex Luthor!
Reaction score
:-/ My whole map is only 300k. I'd more than double that size importing even crappy images for a new title screen.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Luth said:
:-/ My whole map is only 300k. I'd more than double that size importing even crappy images for a new title screen.
not really, depending on your current loading screen you can import a small picture just to add a fake title/subtitle.
i dont think it would take more than 50kb or so...

J

JohanPomppas

not really, depending on your current loading screen you can import a small picture just to add a fake title/subtitle.

...Or... You can fake the Subtitle (if it is the text on the two smaller fields before description. ) By typing it into the actual map description and form it to look like subtitle.

n[u]ll

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
anyways... yes, it is hardcoded and even if it wasn't it's just keeping your text from being cut-off by the screen. So, using a custom loading screen is the only way. or try telling us what ur putting in and then we can help u shorten it =/

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
if it's something long then id suggest on the loading screen to say check quests for more w/e and then putting a quest with the long description

or makeing a chat message in-game, or floating text, etc.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Luth said:

thats tiny! you could easily afford to add in a flashy loading screen, dota is 2,491k, 8 times the size of your map!
anyways nice loading screen makes you look professional

n[u]ll

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Luth said:

1) yah that is tiny

2) if you want it to be smaller then use a map protector on your final edit of it. those remove alot of space. less space = less lag, dl faster, and loading screen loads faster. which if the loading screen loads faster why do you even care about what your typing in cause no ones gonna read it. =/

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> dota is 2,491k, 8 times the size of your map!
never look at things this way...everyone knows where to get dota and its players always have the latest version.
for any other map you need to think about the fact that people should be able to dl your map easily...and some of them have slow connections.

> if you want it to be smaller then use a map protector on your final edit of it.
what makes you think he isn't using it already?
besides a map optimizer can't reduce the size of the loading screen (well not directly at least).

WastedSavior

Reaction score
SFilip said:
> dota is 2,491k, 8 times the size of your map!
never look at things this way...everyone knows where to get dota and its players always have the latest version.
for any other map you need to think about the fact that people should be able to dl your map easily...and some of them have slow connections.

> if you want it to be smaller then use a map protector on your final edit of it.
what makes you think he isn't using it already?
besides a map optimizer can't reduce the size of the loading screen (well not directly at least).

thanks mr.sunshine..? have a grudge against dota much? dbz tribute is a really large game and people still dl that from people, they dont go to a website..

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
WastedSavior said:
thanks mr.sunshine..? have a grudge against dota much? dbz tribute is a really large game and people still dl that from people, they dont go to a website..

You can never use dota as an example of a large map that got popular. No one ever downloads dota on battlenet but uses different websites.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
ragingspeedh said:
You can never use dota as an example of a large map that got popular. No one ever downloads dota on battlenet but uses different websites.

why can't he use websites? whats stopping him? its people like you who encourage people to hate dota, theres no reason to "avoid" using dota as an example
we prob shold stop talkin here, if you've got more to say your more then welcome to private message me, or use my msn/aim/yahoo

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
WastedSavior said:
why can't he use websites? whats stopping him? its people like you who encourage people to hate dota, theres no reason to "avoid" using dota as an example

Neither me nor SFilip said anything about us hating dota, now did we? You seem to easily misunderstand things.

Big maps on BNet that is new will have a hard time getting popular because half the people leave under the download, and no, hardly no one then says "I will find this on the internet then!" and go download it there instead, they will just find another map.

Keeping the filesize low is a good thing untill/if the map gets well known.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
it really doesn't matter if i use dota as an example or not..
and as for small file size, thats all a matter of opinion, frankly i like my first public version to be as impressive as possible, even if its a bit longer to dl, people get a better first impression if its well done, instead of a half baked potato.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> dbz tribute is a really large game and people still dl that from people, they dont go to a website..
hmm is this supposed to be a better example?
FWIW dbz tribute is quite well known (well the last version i've seen was 9.3 if i recall correctly...its certainly not a new map). its name also suggest what its about so you can know everything you need to know even before you start downloading. also at the time i played i remember seeing download for that map allowed only once...and i really have seen a lot of games.

> people get a better first impression if its well done, instead of a half baked potato.
so what you're saying is that a person impression depends on large size? as in "wow this map takes so long to dl, must be something uber good"? or perhaps "omg a cow model for a critter"? or even "w00t this loading screen is sooooo good i don't even have to 'Press any key'"?

WastedSavior

Reaction score
funny, i played tribute alot and i've not once ever seen a game that didn't have dlers, but oh well guys, WAY off topic, shhh

wouldn't you be more interested in a custom loading screen over a standard warcraft one that has nothing to do with the map?

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
WastedSavior said:
wouldn't you be more interested in a custom loading screen over a standard warcraft one that has nothing to do with the map?

Not much, I prefer the standard "black" screen where only the text shows, besides from that it does not intrest me much.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
ragingspeedh said:
EDIT: Err, last message dissapeared... So it renders this one useless.

if you can edit, doesn't that mean you can delete? also?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.