Minimap

DonMushroom

Reaction score
Hi :)

Hi was wondering if there is a way to have custom icons one the mini map.

Like the dominion kill team in the Great Train Robbery mission but a different image and fixed to a region instead of a unit. :)

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
There are two pretty easy ways to do this.

1. Do it in the data editor, the same way that Blizzard did it with the Great Train Robbery. This is probably the easiest solution although it was meant for units. Go into the unit's main actor and find the field called UI: Minimap Icon. Set it to your image. But let's rewind. We're talking about a unit here. As far as I know, only unit actors have this specific field. Fortunately, this shouldn't be a problem. You just have to create a dummy unit that is invisible and unremarkable in every way except that it has that minimap icon. You can then place the unit on the map and everything should work perfectly.

2. Do it in the trigger editor. Create a dialog over the minimap and add a dialog item of the image type to it at the correct position. Use the "Show/Hide Dialog Background" action to hide the dialog. The only thing that will remain of the dialog will be the image you just created.

Personally, I would do it the first way.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
As I said, I only think the field exists on unit actors. You should still be able to use an invisible unit. Is there a problem with doing it that way?

DonMushroom

Reaction score
Hi again :)

It all seems to be in order. I have set the unit to neutral and used this trigger.

Trigger - Map initialization
Local Variables
Conditions
Actions
Player - Turn player 0 Shared Vision On towards player (Number of players in (Active Players))

It shows the map items when it wants to and with different consequences with combinations of players. How would i go about the icon being seen by all players all the time? :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.