Modifying Unit Colours

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I'm currently creating an ability and one of the things I've been trying to do is tint the color of the unit to white when the ability is used. I figured it should be a simple as adding a behavior to the ability but I can't seem to find one that effects the tinting of a unit. Any ideas anyone? +rep to anyone that can help.

Reaction score
I don't think you can simply change the tint of an unit via effects. You will probably have to create a new unit/actor/model and set it's tint to white (good luck with that, I've been unable to simply change the tint of units) and then make your ability morph the caster into this new unit. Alternatively, you can change the Unit's team colors by triggers.

Dave312

Reaction score
It would be easier to use triggers than morph the unit into a new one. Surely there is an easier way to do it.

Reaction score
It would be easier to use triggers than morph the unit into a new one. Surely there is an easier way to do it.

I agree. You'd think they'd add a way to change a unit's scale and color on the go (however, Blizzard has always preferred morphing units for this... think Mountain King's avatar or DH's Metamorphosis) or perhaps we just haven't found it yet. Don't lose hope until one of the experts renders a verdict.

Dave312

Reaction score
In those cases though the actual model changed. I don't want to change the model as such, just add a simple effect to it.

Reaction score
In those cases though the actual model changed. I don't want to change the model as such, just add a simple effect to it.

I understand, you just want to change a field (Tint) of the model. Now that I think about it, this can be fairly trivial to do with Events+. There is a Set Tint Color action there.

Here, I cooked a map that you can use as a reference. Let me know if it does it for you.
Note however, that it is impossible to achieve a white tint color. You can use the Glow Effect to a similar effect though (used in the map along with red tint color). Also look into the Halo effect.

Attachments

• testAbilityTint.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 236

Dave312

Reaction score
Yeah that was really helpful (+rep)

The problem I have come across though is that the ability I'm making is generic and is does not have a unit actor attached. I'm trying to attach the events to the special effects actors but have had no luck so far, but I'm still working on it.

Reaction score
Yeah that was really helpful (+rep)

The problem I have come across though is that the ability I'm making is generic and is does not have a unit actor attached. I'm trying to attach the events to the special effects actors but have had no luck so far, but I'm still working on it.

That's alright. The actor's events you want to modify are the ones of the casting unit. [since you want to affect the casting unit tint]

Dave312

Reaction score
Yeah I get it now. Thanks. The only problem I have is that you need to add these events to every unit capable of casting the spell which is a bit of a pain to do. Surely there would be some method that would allow a unit to inherit these events when given the ability. I tried adding a Event Macro Actor to the ability but that didn't work.

Also it would be nice to be able to have more than one action per event.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.