Newbie starting on a big project

Think this is a good idea?

• Yes! Go on. You have my support.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • yes, but don't expect any help from me.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No. Forget it.

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F

FFforce

Dbz Hero Siege

Well, seeing you guys making maps makes me want to make one. It looks so fun.

Therefore, my cousin, friend and I decided to make one map called 'Dbz Hero Siege'.

The game would be a fusion of dbz tribute ultra, x hero siege and a bit of dota. I have got all the ideas written down and will start on the project soon. Hope i can get help from you veterans here.

There would be 6 Heroes. Goku, Gohan, Goten and trunks, Picollo, Future Trunks and Vegeta. There would be transformations like ss, ss2 etc. The starting would be something like dota. There will be creep spawns from both sides to attack the opponent. (This game will have only one team.) The creeps will be charaters from dbz. There will be 5 rounds of creeps before moving into the 'bosses'. The bosses will be sagas from the show. And placed like the top half of x hero siege.

For a start, there would not be special events, darkness waves, etc. until i get this map up.

I have a few questions :
1. How do i change the exp needed for a level and the exp gained for a hero?
2. I have started on the game but i need some help on creep spawning. I will attach the file so some kind person can help me out? There are no heros added yet, but i put a hero at the main playing area already. Thanks for any help

J

Jarwan

well i cant open that map file u attached(protected?) but ill try to explain.
if u have a hero selector thing this would be the trigger for setting amount of xp gained.

Code:
Events
A unit enters (Heropickregion).
Conditions
Actions
Unit - Create 1 Hero for (Player number of(owner of(triggering unit))) at (Herostartregion) facing (default building facing degrees)
Hero - Set the amount of xp gained for (last created unit) to (percentage)
Unit - Kill (triggering unit)
And heres spawn unit and move(note that it must be done for each path if ure using a dota shaped map or any in the likehood)
Code:
Events
Every x seconds
Conditions
Actions
Unit - Create x unit for (ur computer player) at (spawnregion) facing default building facing degrees.
Heres movement
Code:
Events
A unit enters (spawnregion)
Conditions
Owner of triggering unit equal to (ur computer player)
Actions
Order unit to attack-move to (region at opponents base)
I dont really know about that part with xp needed per lvl, but i believe it can be changed in gameplay constants

TheSNGuy

Reaction score
If none of you has any map editor/triggering experience I suggest you start out with a simpler map.

Try making a mini-game on a 32x32 map first. Its actually harder then it seems as you need to push yourself to make it fun and enjoyable but its usually easier to start with because there are often less triggers and units to deal with and for sure less terrain to design.

Once you learn the basics of the structures of a map and the triggers needed then you can start pushing your limits.

Best of luck though whatever you do.

F

FFforce

Thanks for the replies.
@Jarwan, i used weu to make it. I think the normal we does not have the terrain i used. Thats why you cannot open it. I used a timer and i chose to spawn the creeps after the timer expired. I got the creeps to spawn. But they do not move. Any help? I used the code you gave me but it still didn't work.
Code:
TimerEnds
    Events
        Time - Preptimer expires
    Conditions
    Actions
        Countdown Timer - Destroy (Last created timer window)
        Trigger - Turn on Lv1 <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Lv1 Copy 2 <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Lv1 Copy <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Lv1 Copy Copy <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Lv1 Copy Copy 2 <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Lv1 Copy Copy 3 <gen>
This code is for turning on the spawns.
Code:
Lv1
    Events
    Conditions
        (Player 1 (Red) slot status) Equal to Is playing
    Actions
        Unit - Create 3 Nappa for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of TopLeftTop <gen>) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
        -------- Group units --------
        Unit Group - Add all units of (Units in TopLeftTop <gen> owned by Player 12 (Brown)) to AttackersTLT
        Unit Group - Order AttackersTLT to Patrol To Human Core 0013 <gen>
This is for the attacking and spawning of units.
@TheSNGuy, Thanks for your concern, but i have already made 2 maps that are not public with quite a few triggers. I'm teaching my partners how they work too. Right now I'm pushing myself just as you said.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Last thing warcraft needs is more DBZ! Nonetheless, continue along... If you can't trigger creep spawning though, go simplar! Creep spawning is one of the most basic triggers :)

Hint: Use attack move :)

J

Jarwan

ur trigger aint exactly like mine, first, create a region in the opponents base, then one where the units are created, then create them there, then use a separate trigger which finds when a unit enters the region where they spawned, and a condition check so that its the computer player, so far the trigger should look like this

Code:
Events
Condtion
Owner of (triggering unit) equal to(player 12(brown))

now add the action, simple as
Code:
Actions
Order (triggering unit) to attack-move to (center of(midbase region))

Now the trigger should look like this:
Code:
Events
Condtion
Owner of (triggering unit) equal to(player 12(brown))
Actions
Order (triggering unit) to attack-move to (center of(midbase region))

The trigger will now rerun for each unit owned by player 12 who enters the region where the units are spawned, meaning that as soon as they spawn, they are ordered to move to the middle of the opponents base. Also, never use unit groups, it causes leaks, except if u use that anti memory leak tutorial.

F

FFforce

i tried that, however, they do not work. But, i think i know whats wrong now. Thanks for the tip :D

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Then you never want to use point locations either because those cause memory leaks too -.-

Whenever you use a location, only the x-coordinate is destroyed, so all of those y-coordinates stack up and you're left with a big mess, such as your ordering unit thing (that causes memory leaks).

Because he's using WEU, all he has to go is Point - Remove Point when he's done with it or Group - Destroy Group

Yea, WEU's nice, but only for those things. If he's using advanced triggers or doesn't understand how to add extra terrain without adding 2 megs to the map size, all I have to say is -.-

:p

Now, there is a better way to do it. Instead of using the "Rect" (not region -.-), you can just make it so that when the unit is created, you can instantly order it to attack point, lol

Just create at a set of "coordinates" (to save memory), then order the unit to attack point :p

Also, for your hero selection O_O

Ahhh! Why not just make all your heroes unit type - hero, then make it so when unit comes within range of circle, pick the nearest hero and create that, then remove wisp.

Set UnitGroup to unit group pick every unit within 50 of entering unit of type Hero

Unit - Destroy Entering Unit
set TempPoint to HeroSpawnPoint
set Unit[Player Number of Owner of Entering Unit] to create 1 unit of type (picked unit) for owner of entering unit at TempPoint
Point - Remove TempPoint
Unit Group - Destroy UnitGroup

I did the unit variable because you can do more if you have stored units :p, well it saves space in the end at the least

That's around how your hero selection should look -.-

Ok, good luck with the map

F

FFforce

I got the creeps to spawn and attack now.

@Nestharus Thanks for helping. But i still do not understand the code you gave me. What is the temppoint?

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
UnitGroup = Unit Group Variable
Unit[Player] = Unit Variable with an array size of 12
TempPoint = Point Location Variable used to store points

The unit group and temp point variables are anti memory leak :p

The Unit variable is just so you can store all the player units to save space later on for some of the code you might get into. It'll also prevent some triggering clashes ^)^

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I just noticed this. I looked down members projects and I see alot of

"PURE NEWB STARTING ON A PROJECT THAT IS HARD TO DO EVEN FOR PRO'S"

If you can't trigger, please learn to make a melee map first. Then you can try making a few basic triggers. Such as learning to spawn levels with 2 triggers. Then you can make triggered spells and so on. THEN you can come back here and post about your map. Because what I see in this thread is all "trigger help" and this section is not for "trigger help" its for posting about your project and getting feedback. I hope someone important on the forums reads this and does something about it.

T

Thawimp

I just noticed this. I looked down members projects and I see alot of

"PURE NEWB STARTING ON A PROJECT THAT IS HARD TO DO EVEN FOR PRO'S"

If you can't trigger, please learn to make a melee map first. Then you can try making a few basic triggers. Such as learning to spawn levels with 2 triggers. Then you can make triggered spells and so on. THEN you can come back here and post about your map. Because what I see in this thread is all "trigger help" and this section is not for "trigger help" its for posting about your project and getting feedback. I hope someone important on the forums reads this and does something about it.

Hey there. I noticed you writing something similar to this in other posts and then I thought you might also soon write something like this in my post as well... I wrote I was a noob starting on an epic project, but now that I think about it... I've been making maps for 3 years or so... well, not very advanced maps :p but I know how to make all the basic triggers and some a bit more advanced, and I'm learning every day so here's my question: Why did I write I was a noob? Why do so many people do? And when are you a noob and when are you not? It's relative I think, and many people are better than me I know... am I a noob then? :p Not directed at you. I'm asking everyone including myself.

Sorry for making this off-topic reply ^^ I hope it's okay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.