Defense OMFG! 1 Billion Ghouls!

Saintbob

Reaction score
OMFG! 1 Billion Ghouls!!

ghoul-large.jpg

Welcome Forumers to OMFG! 1 Billion Ghouls!!

Recruiting!

Ok so im in real need for a Triggerist and someone who can use the data editor.

Please PM me for further Details.

Introduction

About me:

Well im very serious about my idea, and getting it to a public stage, so that it can be properly tested, so i thought it was necessary to introduce my self, so you the reader, can hopefully see where im coming from and get an idea of my background.

Ill not give me full name, but my Frist name is Chris, Feel free to call me by that or Saintbob.
Im 22 from the United Kingdom.

My experience with Warcraft 3: tft editor is somewhat unexperienced.
I have been playing Warcraft 3 from its release and i've always played custom games created by some really talented people, and somewhat not.
Fair to say that some of the best games i have played have been created by unexperienced creators and in such incorporated some really basic ideas and mechanics.

My Map is hopefully going to be a very simple and easy to get in and play kind of game.

The Idea

Well i'll explain the idea briefly...

OMFG! 1 Billion Ghouls!! is a defence game, were it sees 4 players starting in the centre of the map, having 1 Builder unit.
They then have 30 seconds to find a spot they wish to start their defence and remain their for aslong as they can.

Once the 30 seconds is over wave 1 starts, and from 8 spawning points Ghouls will Attack move to the centre of the map attacking any structures in their range.

Once the ghouls are dead, the players then get 30 seconds to rebuild their defence, upgrade towers etc, before the next wave starts.

At this point I have only 13 waves in place, with 1 boss wave.

The waves themselves double the amount of ghouls every wave, so the first wave spawns 40 Ghouls, 2nd wave spawns 80 Ghouls etc.

The object of the game is to be the last man standing, and to obtain the highest score possible.
If this map does catch on, and alot of people do enjoy the game, then ill provide a website for people to compare their scores, and make arranged teams etc.

What I have in place already

I have in place already:

1. A Very Basic terrain template.
2. A wave system with up to 13 waves and 1 Boss wave.
3. Scoreboard.
4. periodic messages during game play, with hints and tips.
5. Builder in place, with a small collection of Towers, and upgrades.

What I Would Like

As you can see I have a Working idea, and a partially created map, that is working up to wave 13.

1. I would like to bring 1 to 2 experienced people into this project.

2. I'm looking for someone who has experience with balancing of the Ghouls, and the towers.

3. I'm also looking for someone who is experienced with Terrain, to introduce a terrain that is interesting to look at, but doesnt interfere with the way the game is supposed to be played out.
I would also like to have someone who is more skilled in triggers than I am, to introduce some triggers that my map is lacking, and i honestly dont have the IQ to get my head around them.

Roles i'm looking for.

Terrainer - Need
Triggerist - Need
Balancer - Need
Dedicated Beta Testers - Zenion

(I'm by NO means expecting you to do the work, im very determined, and if you would simply just like to talk me through the processes, or give me hints and tips, then i'm more than willing to do it that way, so im still doing most of the work,(And anyone that does help, will be given the appropriate credit for their input)).

Features I would like to see added

1. New Races for players to choose from with their own unique advantages and dis-advantages.

2. New Towers and tower abilities.

3. Possible mini games (not to sure about this)

4. Other triggers to enhance gameplay will be discussed with who ever it is, who would like to help.

Screen Shots

Screeny1.png

This is a Screen taken quite a while back, by a friend who was playing a solo game.
Just a small sample so you can see that there is actually alot of ghouls, which ultimately turn into 1 billion, as the game progresses.

Note

Anyone that is interested in helping me with this project, then please note I am from the Uk and therefore i would like to work with people who are From the UK or surrounding countries, so that the time difference isnt to great, a plus 3 hour difference is fine. anything more than that and we would probably miss each other, 1 of us would bound to be in bed in the land of nod, by the time the other is available. lol

If anyone is interested, or you would like to know anything else, then please reply to this thread, or PM me.

Demo

Versions -
Version 0.7

Here is a link to Download the map.
Version 0.7
Please mind that this is not finished, its is not balanced, and there is still alot of work to be done.
Also note, that this map is Protected. And anyone that is wanting to work on the map to help me improve it, will obviously be given an unprotected copy.

http://epicwar.com/maps/133055/

Version 0.8

Version 0.8
Please mind that this is not finished, its is not balanced, and there is still alot of work to be done.
Also note, that this map is Protected. And anyone that is wanting to work on the map to help me improve it, will obviously be given an unprotected copy.

http://epicwar.com/maps/133263/

Version 0.82

Here is the link to Download the newest Version.
Version 0.82

http://epicwar.com/maps/136756/

Change Log:
Increased Damage and HP incriment of the Ghouls, To make the difficulty of the game more challenging.
Added the repair feature as requested ( Towers now cost the same amount of gold to repair, as it would be to Buy a new tower(Subject to change))

Coming in Version 0.9
- Unit Tavern ( To select Builders)
- Basic Tower Builder, Fire Tower Builder

Version 0.93

Version 0.93

http://epicwar.com/maps/136785/

Added
New Race - Fire Builder
Added Builder Tavern

Bugs present
- For some reason, the Ghouls always attack the Arrow Towers instead of attacking the closest tower to them. (Not Solved)

Version 0.99

Version 0.99

Map to Download - http://epicwar.com/maps/136917/

Updates
-Added new loading screen background
-Again increased the damage and HP of the Ghouls
-Decreased the amout of gold it costs for Blocker and Heat Shield Lvl 1 and 2
- Lvl 1 decreased to 2 gold
- Lvl 2 decreased to 15 gold
(giving the player more options to explore during the early stages of the game. (Wether to Maze using blockers, Mass Tower, or Upgrade towers etc))

Bug Fixes

-
- For some reason, the Ghouls always attack the Arrow Towers instead of attacking the closest tower to them. (Not Solved)
^^^ Now Solved. (+rep has been given to the solvies :D)

Due to the nature of the game thus far, it has become increasingly difficult in this Version.
Every time I have tested it with random people, we've only managed to get up to Lvl 5 Max.
This requires a good team, good communication, and alot of practice in different tactics.

Version 1.07

A few changes have been made.
Mainly balance changes.
- Increased the rate of fire for Water towers (0.60 down to 0.40
- Increased the damage of all towers
- Decided to make the Basic Builder Race, into a dedicated Poison Race, Scrapped the whole Basic Builder idea.
- Added, Frost Attack to Water towers, and Viper Sting to Poison Towers.
- Added Doodads to the outer rim of the map, for cosmetic reasons.

Fixes

- Fixed the issue with the Fire towers doing Splash damage, damaging the players own Buildings.

In the next Version

- Sell feature - I would like to see a Sell feature added to all towers and blockers. (As requested by alot of the players).
(I am in need of someone to help create this spell/trigger)
Any offers???

Download the map

http://www.epicwar.com/maps/137206/

Version 1.2
http://www.epicwar.com/maps/138265/

A few more changes have been made as promised.
- Sell system added, refunding upgrade costs in full to the selling player.
- Changed the looks of the Fire tower Models.
- Increased the speed of the water towers attack rate.
- Increased the Attack Damage of the water towers.
- Increased the Bonus gold awarded at the end of each level to 20gold up from 10gold.
- In general, made alot of balancing on all races

I would like to see new Towers for each race in the next Version i release.

I am in need of Beta Testers to tes the maps balance etc, and give me feedback that i can work with. Thanks

Thanks once again for reading. Hope to hear from you soon.

Saintbob
Chris.

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
Nice picture!
The idea sounds good, but will at this stage, it sounds like it'll überlag in, like, 20 waves. (Which will feature 41943040 (nearly 42 million) ghouls?)

I recommend, maybe making the ghouls stronger every 5 levels.

I could terrain, but i'm not the best.
I also could. make GUI triggers, but i'm rusty, as i never make them anymore.

Good luck with the map, i hope it succeeds.

Saintbob

Reaction score
Hey thanks for reply,

Yeah i've deff been thinking about that.
And the answer to that is this... as the wave level increases so does the ghouls,
At the moment every 2 levels of the 13 have their DMG, HP, and speed increased.
Plus later into the levels they get special abilities etc.

But for sure, when are you available to give the map a test?
Im at work at the mo so wont be free to play war3 till about 6:30pm UK time.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
I demand your demo map be uploaded.
I cannot find it anywhere, lol

Saintbob

Reaction score
As i said in previous post I am at work at present, (hehe was sat writing it up, trying to avoid my manager :D)

But ill be home 6:30pm UK time, and ill get something uploaded.

As im new to this, any advice on where to upload files to, so i can link them??

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
Rapidshare for models, Epicwar for maps, and Photobucket / Tinypic for images.

DuelPlayer

Reaction score
Am i still in it?
Lol i helped you in your wave
Maybe i can guide and give you ideas
And is the picture by you?
If its you, i hope u can help me style picture for my map.
And you forgot to put credits in for me :mad:

SideTrack: Are you still helping me in my map?? If not :(, pls tell me because the map is stuck there for you. And i am jealous... I made my project thread nicer, better triggers, more screenies and no one replied, yet yours just started recently and lots of replies

One small thing:
Ill not give me full name, but my Frist name is Chris, Feel free to call me by that or Saintbob.
First*

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
maybe with unit recycling + limiting how many ghouls can be on the map at any one time, you could get a wave of a thousand ghouls (obviously not all at once)

Saintbob

Reaction score
Am i still in it?
Lol i helped you in your wave
Maybe i can guide and give you ideas
And is the picture by you?
If its you, i hope u can help me style picture for my map.
And you forgot to put credits in for me :mad:

SideTrack: Are you still helping me in my map?? If not :(, pls tell me because the map is stuck there for you. And i am jealous... I made my project thread nicer, better triggers, more screenies and no one replied, yet yours just started recently and lots of replies

One small thing:
First*

1. Nope the picture isnt by me. Unfortunatly, Great picture isnt it. (note: i did seek permission first before using.)

2. about the credits, if and when i upload the maps, ull see that i've included you're details in the Loading Screen. And the job you did.

3. Yeah im still helping you with you're map, but because there is an 8 Hour difference between us, its hard for me to liase with you about such things.

4. I wasnt trying to make you jealous TeeHee :p

Rapidshare for models, Epicwar for maps, and Photobucket / Tinypic for images.

Thanks, ill take a look at these and see if i can get something going :D

maybe with unit recycling + limiting how many ghouls can be on the map at any one time, you could get a wave of a thousand ghouls (obviously not all at once)

If you could show me how i would go about doing this then i would be very much appreciated, or point me in the direction to a good tutorial.

Thanks.

Saintbob

Reaction score
Demo

http://epicwar.com/maps/133055/

Bump :D

punwisp

Reaction score
Realistically, you would need far more then 13 waves to even get close to 1 billion. not even 100 would be enough :)

You can literally cover every spot with ghouls, you would still need a lot of waves :p

DuelPlayer

Reaction score
1 billion is just a name and it is just to mean that there is a lot of ghouls
And Saintbob can i help you in your map in triggers? Lol since my map is quite "popular"

SideTrack: Saintbob maybe i can send the map into your email...for u to improve on the terrain and help me do the tiptools and find icons for my spells and balance the creeps

Most Unpopular Project:

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
If you could show me how i would go about doing this then i would be very much appreciated, or point me in the direction to a good tutorial.

Probably something like this:
Trigger:
  • Spawn Units
    • Events
      • Time - SpawnTimer expires
    • Conditions
      • GhoulsCount Less than GhoulsAllowed
      • GhoulsSpawned Less than MaxGhouls
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 0 to 7, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Spawn Ghouls at starting location (Integer A)
      • Set GhoulsCount = (GhoulsCount + 8)
      • Set GhoulsSpawned = (GhoulsSpawned + 8)

Trigger:
  • Ghoul Dies
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit owned by GhoulOwner Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set GhoulsCount = (GhoulsCount - 1)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • GhoulsSpawned Greater than or equal to MaxGhouls
          • GhoulsCount Equal to 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Countdown Timer - Pause SpawnTimer
          • -------- start 30 second rebuild break --------
        • Else - Actions

GhoulsSpawned = the number of ghouls that has been spawned for that round
GhoulsCount = the number of ghouls currently on the map
GhoulsAllowed = limiting number of ghouls
GhoulsMax = total number of ghouls to be spawned for that round
You will need to set the SpawnTimer as a repeating timer at the rate you want ghouls to be spawned (I'd say about 2 seconds)

It's just rough but you should be able to get the general idea.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
you would need 25 waves to get to 1 billion.

over half a million ghouls at lvl 13 will crash warcraft.

anyway, sounds like an average good map. :)

I'm not good at map making so I'm afraid I can't really help.

SineCosine

Reaction score
Not if he takes Narks's idea on limiting the amount of units that are on the map at any one given time >.>

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
to cope with wc3's limited unit count system, i would suggest putting a cap on how many gouls would be on the feild at once, if there are less than that ammount then spawn moar gouls, if there are more then stop spawning till some die off

Event - Periodic event going off 10 times per second (more or less up to you)
have the trigger spawn them one group at a time,
before the spawn it will check how many ghouls are still alive
if it has not reached its cap (not sure but ~200 units?)
then spawn more
Inside of the spawn loop (the loop is for each spawn point)
check if the ammount of ghouls spawned hit the level's cap (IE lv 2 80 ghouls)
if true
end loop
else
do nothing (this will allow the trigger to function normally)
if it reached or exeeded the cap, do not spawn

this way the players will have unrelenting waves of ghouls comming at them without break of clog
it would allow for the ultimate 1bill ghoul kill count.... but it would take a long time to get there (unless you want total kill count to be 1bil... wait thats still alot)

basically im saying you "can" make the game do what its title says

SineCosine

Reaction score
Hahaha.
He could do it if the towers were over-powered and the ghouls; too weak..

BlackNerubia

Reaction score
to cope with wc3's limited unit count system, i would suggest putting a cap on how many gouls would be on the feild at once, if there are less than that ammount then spawn moar gouls, if there are more then stop spawning till some die off

Event - Periodic event going off 10 times per second (more or less up to you)
have the trigger spawn them one group at a time,
before the spawn it will check how many ghouls are still alive
if it has not reached its cap (not sure but ~200 units?)
then spawn more
Inside of the spawn loop (the loop is for each spawn point)
check if the ammount of ghouls spawned hit the level's cap (IE lv 2 80 ghouls)
if true
end loop
else
do nothing (this will allow the trigger to function normally)
if it reached or execeded the cap, do not spawn

this way the players will have unrelenting waves of ghouls comming at them without break of clog
it would allow for the ultimate 1bill ghoul kill count.... but it would take a long time to get there (unless you want total kill count to be 1bil... wait thats still alot)

basically im saying you "can" make the game do what its title says

imo that could cause the pressure to ease up on the players, i feel it would be more effective if you had it that when a ghoul died to note it and for every 5 dead spawn 5 more, that way if a player has a specific point in their base that tends to cut down 10-20 at a time it wouldn't cause such a severe lag spike when the next 10-20 spawn but instead would allow a more continuous flow of ghouls

Saintbob

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the really good positive feedback, and not just ignoring it, and giving me some really good things to work with.

Probably something like this:
Trigger:
  • Spawn Units
    • Events
      • Time - SpawnTimer expires
    • Conditions
      • GhoulsCount Less than GhoulsAllowed
      • GhoulsSpawned Less than MaxGhouls
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 0 to 7, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Spawn Ghouls at starting location (Integer A)
      • Set GhoulsCount = (GhoulsCount + 8)
      • Set GhoulsSpawned = (GhoulsSpawned + 8)

Trigger:
  • Ghoul Dies
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit owned by GhoulOwner Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set GhoulsCount = (GhoulsCount - 1)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • GhoulsSpawned Greater than or equal to MaxGhouls
          • GhoulsCount Equal to 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Countdown Timer - Pause SpawnTimer
          • -------- start 30 second rebuild break --------
        • Else - Actions

GhoulsSpawned = the number of ghouls that has been spawned for that round
GhoulsCount = the number of ghouls currently on the map
GhoulsAllowed = limiting number of ghouls
GhoulsMax = total number of ghouls to be spawned for that round
You will need to set the SpawnTimer as a repeating timer at the rate you want ghouls to be spawned (I'd say about 2 seconds)

It's just rough but you should be able to get the general idea.

This is great thanks, ill see if i can incorporate this some how.
And ill let you know how it goes.

Realistically, you would need far more then 13 waves to even get close to 1 billion. not even 100 would be enough

You can literally cover every spot with ghouls, you would still need a lot of waves

Ok so i looked into this and to get 1,342,177,280 which is each wave doubling each time, i would need 26 waves.

Now im not expecting anyone to get to that, but having the possibility to get to that point is there, and the OBJECT of the game is not to get to the 1 billion ghouls, but to simply last the longest, and get as many points as possible.

And then submit them on a forum which im in the process of completing, and compete against other peoples top scores

In regards to Duelplayer, ill have a chat with you on msn about working on the map :D

I've also updated the The roles i need filling, in the original post.

Thanks guys/gals, and keep the feedback coming please.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Build and blink's hotkey collides, change hotkey of blink to something like "E"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.