PHP voting help

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Unfortunetly, voting is not as easy as it looks, or should be.

Basically, a form displays the options to vote on each page.

The form gives the data to the script.

The script (Probobly using MySQL) stores which page, and who voted for what into a database.

When viewing poll results, it pulls the data for that page, and counts the polls up and displays them.

Axe.killer

Reaction score
Hmm, is it possible even to get a 5 star voting script? or how many views each individual page has gotten?

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I've seen some hokey scripts that store which pages and how many views into text files.

But again, the surefire way to do something like that, is database power. Such as MySQL.

If you go to http://www.hotscripts.com you might find something. But again, almost all ranking/voting/views scripts use some type of database.

Does your host provide MySQL?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
You could store the votes on txt files, but thats not that safe ( as in people can view them ). Storing stuff in mySQL isnt that easy to learn :(

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
DDRtists said:
You could store the votes on txt files, but thats not that safe ( as in people can view them ). Storing stuff in mySQL isnt that easy to learn :(

they cant if you make it 640, protection

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
DDRtists said:

1. Who cares if people view a text file that keeps votes.

2. MySQL requires more tech thinking, but have you every stored a hand made database into a text file?

I have. Its a bitch. It sucks. Its hard.

MySQL is SO much easier to push and pull data. You just gotta learn how to play the instrument.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Axe.killer said:
so i m guessing i cant do this? I ve seen it done. http://www.flashplayer.com/games. They have a WONDERFUL rating system, i want one just like that. Cmon, help a brother out plz! <3 :( :) :eek:

you definetly can! However i would definetly suggest you learn more php before trying to take a stab at something like that,since it is really complex.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is integrating the rating script with your current site. Whatever database you are currently using you would have to include a rating field and handle it across your database solution for all the tables that have that field. The script exists to easily get ratings, it is just integrating that is the problem.

However, Vbulletin, which we use as our forum software here has a thread rating system, and other bulletin board software has that feature as well and you can integrate forums into your site. Sometimes you need to look at a problem in two different directions to find the solution. Maybe you should look for a forum software solution that has thread ratings as part of its features and modify that to suit your needs instead of the other way around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.