Printer: Can't change paper size?

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a computer that has several network printer drivers installed (Win Vista), and when you try to change the paper size from 8.5 x 11 to anything else (I'd like 11x17) it hangs, freezes, and quits. This happens on anything, i.e. whether I try to change the size on the specific printer I want to print to (which has 11x17 capabilities btw, other ppl can print to it no problem). I've also tried changing it via print command on MS Word, MS Powerpoint, and Adobe Reader ... same results. I've also tried reinstalling just the specific printer's driver as well as deleting ALL printer drivers then reinstalling them. Nope!

Google hasn't pulled up any results, do any minds at TH.net have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
So, no one has any ideas?

It's a tough problem ... Usually I can figure these things out.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Bump #2? :(

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be something or some issues with the printer. I usually don't blame Windows Vista because of that.

If you have recently updated the printer driver, try:

1. Ask for support for the printer manufacturer. (Takes usually about 1 to 4 days, depending on the service.)
2. If that doesn't help, try Customer Support with Microsoft, and ask if this is a Vista issue.

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
It most certainly sounds like a software based issue, since it works fine for other people. Its most likely Vista's drivers, as tom_mai78101 said, you should look for drivers on the manufacturer's website. But I wouldn't get a new printer over that :p, because its not hardware based, the printer is perfectly fine.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It most certainly sounds like a software based issue, since it works fine for other people. Its most likely Vista's drivers, as tom_mai78101 said, you should look for drivers on the manufacturer's website. But I wouldn't get a new printer over that :p, because its not hardware based, the printer is perfectly fine.
He did mentioned about the drivers and reverting and stuff. So, I assumed he had done the driver updating/downgrading too soon.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
He did mentioned about the drivers and reverting and stuff. So, I assumed he had done the driver updating/downgrading too soon.

Eh, I was doing complete uninstall/reinstallation processes with drivers that work on other people's computers.

This is for someone at work. I'm an IT intern at a software company.

I'm just going to let her know that something with Windows on her computer is corrupt, and if she wishes, I can migrate her data from one computer to another and wipe the old computer and replace it with a fresh Vista image for someone else to have. That's the easiest solution at this point, rather than hassle with customer support from some other company.

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
A little drastic, but what ever gets the job done I guess. I guess there are times where you just have to get it done even if its not the most direct way :).

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
A little drastic, but what ever gets the job done I guess. I guess there are times where you just have to get it done even if its not the most direct way :).

It's not drastic when you have a vast amount of laptops at your disposal (in fact, infinite). It's a quick fix that only takes an hour, rather than waste time debugging for days.

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
I suppose if you have all the images premade, then just dump the old files back on. We've re-ghosted a lot of computers in our IT lab.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.