Sci/Tech Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Quantum teleportation has achieved a new milestone or, should we say, a new ten-milestone: scientists have recently had success teleporting information between photons over a free space distance of nearly ten miles, an unprecedented length. The researchers who have accomplished this feat note that this brings us closer to communicating information without needing a traditional signal, and that the ten miles they have reached could span the distance between the surface of the earth and space.

As we've explained before, "quantum teleportation" is quite different from how many people imagine teleportation to work. Rather than picking one thing up and placing it somewhere else, quantum teleportation involves entangling two things, like photons or ions, so their states are dependent on one another and each can be affected by the measurement of the other's state.

When one of the items is sent a distance away, entanglement ensures that changing the state of one causes the other to change as well, allowing the teleportation of quantum information, if not matter. However, the distance particles can be from each other has been limited so far to a number of meters.

Teleportation over distances of a few hundred meters has previously only been accomplished with the photons traveling in fiber channels to help preserve their state. In this particular experiment, researchers maximally entangled two photons using both spatial and polarization modes and sent the one with higher energy through a ten-mile-long free space channel. They found that the distant photon was still able to respond to changes in state of the photon they held onto even at this unprecedented distance.

Last edited:

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
World War III approaches..

N. Korea has teh Nuclear Warheads.
Japan has their Gundams and Zoids waiting in space.
China's got their Rectum-Hurt-A-Lot-9000 and Quantum Teleporter.
USA's got the Credit-Debt-A-Lot.
India's got their Ninjas.
The Eskimos are preparing and Russia is just waiting to unleash winter on us ._.

We're screwed!!!!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
The Encryption of it is the hard part.... the unknown - this is what we know trying to be simple enough to explain to someone :thup:

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
World War III approaches..

N. Korea has teh Nuclear Warheads.
Japan has their Gundams and Zoids waiting in space.
China's got their Rectum-Hurt-A-Lot-9000 and Quantum Teleporter.
USA's got the Credit-Debt-A-Lot.
India's got their Ninjas.
The Eskimos are preparing and Russia is just waiting to unleash winter on us ._.

We're screwed!!!!

You say that with out considering other factors. Civil, Political, Social and Economical.

But its known logic if WW3 were to happen everyone is screwed besides Australia....

Teleportation is an iffy in my mind, its extremely dangerous to do with anything living speaking we can barely break down the human genome yet alone put it back together sub-sub-sub atomic particle by sub-sub-sub atomic particle.

Just like Jetpacks, it has its realistic limits.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
real, but not yet efficient, nothing like the C&C3 Jetpacks. Oh well. One step closer to the never ending finish line known as technology.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
nothing of any size could transported using this, they haven't even transported one atom, let alone a molecule. not only that but is this "quantum teleportation" just something that changes the state (what is a state exactly?). so it's just interacting with something without crossing the intervening space, NOT actually teleporting anything.

wireless internet connection over the whole world and no continent connecting cables. mmmmh.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Super-expensive ingenius energy source idea:

Send a heat conductor to orbit right next to the sun. Produce an infinite number of volts and use entangled photons to "beam" back the energy to Earth. Hooray!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Super-expensive ingenius energy source idea:

Send a heat conductor to orbit right next to the sun. Produce an infinite number of volts and use entangled photons to "beam" back the energy to Earth. Hooray!

You should patent that idea seph!

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
You should patent that idea seph!

Patenting my idea would only hinder its production. I'd rather see some rich asshole make it so I could see it help people. I'm such a humanitarian ...

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
We should be teleporting across the solar system 13 years later right? :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.