Question aboot leaks....

Dwarvenfrog

Reaction score
Made an uber simple tower defense game for me and a friend to play with on lan. I didn't bother fixing the leaks for all the creep spawns. For well over an hour we played with no signs of lag, then suddenly the game crashed for both of us and an error box popped up. I figure this was caused by the leaked creep spawns. Just wondering if I got the right idea.

I would screen shot the error, but I don't really wanna play another hour+ game just for that.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Leaks would definitely provide some noticeable lag before it would cause a crash. My guess is that there's a problem somewhere in your triggers (this is usually the case), though without seeing any code, I couldn't begin to guess.

avalya

Reaction score
Maybe you had an infinite loop somewhere in your trigger, that'll cause a crash.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Won't infinite loops just cause the thread to crash?

Unless you had some kind of recursion infinite loop...

avalya

Reaction score
It would cause the map to crash, since it keeps repeating itself over and over, thus it cannot make any other action, which is a crash.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Well there is:

JASS:
loop
endloop

and then there is a loop where a trigger keeps triggering itself.

Sickle

Reaction score
Narks' point is that all infinite loops are not necessarily game crashers.

And he is correct. For once.

avalya

Reaction score
Well. I was pointing out that if he has one it is probably the thing that is causing the crash, rather than leaks, if he hasn't been experiencing any lags at all.

Dwarvenfrog

Reaction score
I've looked it over and couldn't find anything that would create a loop.

Trigger:
  • Move
    • Events
      • Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by Player 12 (Brown)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Unit-type of (Picked unit)) Equal to Murky
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Attack-Move To (Center of End <gen>)
            • Else - Actions

This might be something. By the time the game crashed player 12 had 80+ creeps in its control. Perhaps ordering 80+ creeps to attack every second could, like, overload it or something?

Sickle

Reaction score
No. It could potentially lag a lot, but no crashes. That trigger leaks horrendously, by the way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.