region/trigger help

Ruku-Chan

Reaction score
ok i am makeing a map with a few difrent regions in it and each region has it own name, so i need a trigger that will show the name of the region they are entering when a player enters it but only show the name for that player

set a temp point to the center of desired region then create a floating text there then remove the point

set a temp point to the center of desired region then create a floating text there then remove the point

i would rather when they first enter the area it comes up as a chat message for the player entering the region,

i had already thought about doing that but decided not to make a floating text

that? thats easy
under Game(in the GUI)
Game - Display Text Message Blah Blah to (All Players)

Well, you can't not leak in GUI, but there is an easy way.

call RemoveLocation(udg_<Point[If there's an index, put in these brackets, otherwise don't have brackets]>)

As for the region name, it depends. I don't know if you can get the actual region name through a single action, but if you only have a few regions, you could get away with checking each individual region, and displaying that region's name.

i dont think you can float text a given player
and i think what he wanted was Game - Display message

yes display a message to a given player. im stile new to wc3 editor so i dont know how to do stuff like that yet.

and i have no idea what gui is but if it causes leaks im not even gona try it

rofl, gui is... what you,re doing.

And learn what are leaks before you don't want them (even tho it's a nuisance...)!

just make the
Game - Display message to (All players matching (Owner of (Entering unit)) Equal to (Triggering Player))

Ruku, GUI the way you create triggers through clicking (and in a few cases, typing). You should read a tutorial about leaks, sorry I don't have a link, but something that causes a leak is no problem, because all leaks can be cleaned up. What you should do for your trigger, is:

Events: Unit enters region
Conditions:
Actions:
Display to (Player of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) the text <Region name>

This here doesn't leak. Only the floating text trigger leaks.

Ruku, GUI the way you create triggers through clicking (and in a few cases, typing). You should read a tutorial about leaks, sorry I don't have a link, but something that causes a leak is no problem, because all leaks can be cleaned up. What you should do for your trigger, is:

Events: Unit enters region
Conditions:
Actions:
Display to (Player of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) the text <Region name>

This here doesn't leak. Only the floating text trigger leaks.

Aren't players and rects handles that leak?

It depends, ALL handles can leak, but only if another variable is set equal to some handle, and then set to another handle of the same type. There are four, I believe, special handles that leak otherwise: points, timers, special effects, and unit groups.

Normal handles, not like the four mentioned above, can be cleaned just by nulling the variable (doesn't have to happen unless the variable will be used again). The four mentioned above most be destroyed, nulled, and then are able to removed.

Examples:
Set Unit = Footman..\_____________
Set Unit = Wisp......./........................Leaks

Set Unit = Footman....\
Set Unit = null............|-------------- Doesn't leak
Set Unit = Wisp........./

Set Point = Center Of Playable Map Area......\__________
Set Point = Center of Region RandomRegion../....................Leaks

Set Point = Center Of Playable Map Area......\
call RemoveLocation(Point)..........................\__________
Set Point = null........................................./...................Doesn't Leak
Set Point = Center of Region RandomRegion../

UGH... My designs indicating sets got messed up because spaces were removed... LAME..

Fixed, kinda...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.