Regions

Kazenoyoukai

Reaction score
How do I setup regions?

What Action do I use in a trigger to place a unit at a random place within a particular region? (E.g. place 1 Footman somewhere within Region 1)

How would I change time of day lighting for a region? I want a particular forest in my map to always be dark like night, but the rest of the map I want to be as normal.

Hellohihi

Reaction score
Press R to bring up the region editor.

Use the trigger: Create 1 [unit] at center of region 001.
(Yeah i know it leaks, fix it yourself)

Afaik you cant change the time of day for a region.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
To spawn a unit at a random point in that region you can do this:
Code:
Set tempPoint = (Center of Rect 000 <gen>)
Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at tempPoint facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_tempPoint)

For a darker part in a map;
You might have to work out some sort of fade filter.
I don't think specific spots can be a different time of day.

Kazenoyoukai

Reaction score
Where is the randomizing part of either of those in the placement?

Is there any sort of lamp like doodad? In the C&C:RA2 map editor, there are "lamps", invisible doodad type things that create lighting effects around them.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Ah yeah.
Forgot you wanted random point, sorry:
Trigger:
  • Set tempPoint = (Random point in Rect 000 &lt;gen&gt;)
    • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at tempPoint facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_tempPoint)

And you can probably find lighting effect doodads, yes.
Look up "WindexIsBack".
His models are excellent (And he may have some lighting ones) .

Chewbalka

Reaction score
if time isint important you can always just force the time to go to night when you enter the region. + a game hour every second so it goes fast but not instantly.

Kazenoyoukai

Reaction score
I'm not into the actual trigger making part of the map at the moment; I'm still planning most of it and working a little bit on the different terrain regions (I never realized quite how big 256x256 is, haha). How do I copy & paste a trigger thing someone posts on here into a new trigger in the editor? Last time I tried I couldn't figure it out.

Wolfie, can you explain that last part? I'm a little confused.

Chew, that would work, except this isn't going to be a 1-player map. I'm working on a 6-player RPG. The random placement thing is how what I'm going to do when I need to make a respawn.

Speaking of which, I have two trigger-related questions. When you tell a trigger to wait and it goes on hold, can other triggers still run during this time? Also, is it better to use a switch (if that exists) or multiple if/else cases to figure out which of a few cases you have for a certain event or multiple triggers of that event with an if for each.

Dest

Reaction score
I'm not into the actual trigger making part of the map at the moment; I'm still planning most of it and working a little bit on the different terrain regions (I never realized quite how big 256x256 is, haha). How do I copy & paste a trigger thing someone posts on here into a new trigger in the editor? Last time I tried I couldn't figure it out.

169hu9y.png

You meant it?

Chewbalka

Reaction score
you cant copy triggers from the forums into the game, you will have to re-create them.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I can fully explain the last line without getting pwned by the pros :p .
You can read these threads about it though;
Which will explain it thoroughly.
One
Two

Kazenoyoukai

Reaction score
Not sure how this post was already here... hmmm...

I get what a leak is. I'm a computer science major so I kinda know a bit about having data floating around too much. I meant could you explain what you were saying about Windex.

Kazenoyoukai

Reaction score
By model, you mean like the graphic part of the units, buildings, etc.? I didn't know you could make those, wow. Thanks a lot!

How do I get to If/Then/Else statements and Custom Scripts in a trigger? Is that a JASS thing?

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
By model, you mean like the graphic part of the units, buildings, etc.? I didn't know you could make those, wow. Thanks a lot!

How do I get to If/Then/Else statements and Custom Scripts in a trigger? Is that a JASS thing?

The If/Then/Else is in the "Actions" part of the trigger. Custom Script is also in the "Actions" part of the trigger.

Kazenoyoukai

Reaction score
Is there a switch type function? Like for when you've got multiple cases of what to do from a single event?

If there isn't, is it better to have one trigger from the event and a series of nested if's or a series of triggers from the event for each case (or group of cases if they can easily be grouped)?

If you call wait in a trigger and it goes on hold, can other triggers still run, and can that trigger go off again for a same event while still on hold?

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
>>switch function
No
There's if then else statements.:)

One trigger with all the if-then-else statements that goes to the event/events in that trigger.

>>>If you call wait in a trigger and it goes on hold, can other triggers still run, and can that trigger go off again for a same event while still on hold?

Try it yourself? :p
Well, other triggers can still run.
That trigger can still go off again (there is an action to turn the trigger on/off, Trigger - Turn off (This Trigger)).

On a side-note; which language have you been into? just curious...

Kazenoyoukai

Reaction score
Java and C++, standard first/second-year CS stuff.

If you have possible actions from one event, is it any worse to have multiple triggers per event or a single condition with a big bunch of if/else stuff?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.