Secret shared control with single unit (tricky)

Steamsteam

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering...

this idea came to mind randomly and i think its pretty cool.. (there are three ideas i had)

1) is there any way for a unit that i send to someones base to change their modle making lets say a footman look like a pesant with shared controll with my opponent and changes to his colour to my oppoents colour but with that unit only?

2) lets say i have a unit with possesion.. is there a way to allow my opponent to keep controll of that unit (the unit i possess/also allowing me to take controll and keep my opponents colour) untill i say a certin phrase or move it to a location?

3) is there a way for me to use something like farie fire where its permenent, gives me controll of the unit and the opponent doesnt realize it... (it doesnt have to be premenet...)

Galdiuz

Creator of Photon Command
Reaction score
You want to make a unit that you can send into your opponents base that your opponent will think is his own unit? You could change ownership of a unit with triggers if it's selected so you opponent will (maybe) think it's his own unit. Colors can be changed too, but you cannot change the model of the unit without replacing it. You could create a invisible unit following around the ''spy'', thus giving you vison of it even if your opponent controls it.

Bird

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I don't you and an opponent can both share one of his units.

And if you make the unit your unit, your opponent's towers/units will auto-attack it. So he will certainly know it is your unit.

I think the closest thing you could get is to make the unit Neutral Passive.

Or also play around with the Mechanical critters that Humans have. A unit you can sneak around in their base that enemy units won't recognize.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
mechanical sheep isnt that good against me (in melee). When I get the chance I mass click sheep til they explode all the time.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Maybe something like this?

Example:
  • A = a unit owned by you, Player 1
  • B = a unit owned by the enemy, Player 2
  • A cast possession on B
  • change ownership on unit B to Player 3
  • Both Player 1 and Player 2 have control of Player 3's units.

I tried to explain it with a list to make a very clear example. While creating this spell you might run into problems with limited player slots. If there are two players in the game, you will require 1 extra player slot for the shared units. With 3 players in the game you will require 3 extra player slots. 4 players require 6 additional slots. 5 players require 10 additional. It goes on.

Steamsteam

Reaction score
thats a good idea.. give both of them shared controll over another players units.. i was thinking last night i could just replace the unit with the exact unit only different modle untill it exits the region which would then turn it back into the unit i had before... but id need to change abilitys too..

is there a way to have one unit where my enemy and i share controll but two people see different abilitys?

-also if its a 4 player map 3v1 would i still need 6 additional slots? id just give shared controll over player 5s units to everyone so if all of the three people have these units they would just be able to also controll eachothers once its in his base.. or would i not be able to correctly reasign the units to their orriginal owners?

Steamsteam

Reaction score
Hey another question on this topic:

these are my triggers...

Code:
Event:
map int
actions:
player: make player 1 treat player 12 brown with full vision and full shared unit ctrl (this is continued for all my player slots)
this is the 'spell' its more like an aura rather then a casted spell since i only want this ability to be activated when unit enters player 1s base
Code:
Event: 
unit enters region player 1 base
Actions:
if Conditions:
unit equal to wisp (testing unit) 
remove triggering unit from game
create 1 city worker for player  brown in center of player 1 base
change colour of triggering unit to red

(i also tried making it - replace unit and using the last replaced unit change to red trigger but still no luck)

the problems im having is no one has shared unit ctrl with brown or shared vision also browns created char isnt turning red.. other then that its working

edit:

i changed the player settings so that the positions are not fixed locations (which means insted of having to move your user name to the colour u want u can stay what ever position you want and change your colour from there .. not what i wanted but it allows shared ctrl over browns units)

the colour still isnt getting changed and i made it back to "replace unit" triggers

Steamsteam

Reaction score
bump - the problem im having is my shared unit ctrl isnt working but i dont know whats wrong with that trigger...

Code:
event:
map int
action:
make player 1 red treat player 12 brown as ally with full shared unit ctrl

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
-also if its a 4 player map 3v1 would i still need 6 additional slots? id just give shared controll over player 5s units to everyone so if all of the three people have these units they would just be able to also controll eachothers once its in his base.. or would i not be able to correctly reasign the units to their orriginal owners?

You wouldn't have to have 6 additional slots no. It all depends on who you want to allow controlling the units that you possess.

I tried making a map to see how the dynamic worked in practice. I am very very inept in GUI triggering, so I wouldn't recommend using any of it. It's only meant as a start to something better.

Player 1 - 4 are player controllable
Player 5 - 10 are shared player slots

The dreadlord has been given the spell Possession

is there a way to have one unit where my enemy and i share controll but two people see different abilitys?
Players won't be able to see different ability icons on the units. However, you can try to see if the triggering player is the one who clicks the button or the one who owns the unit. If it's the one clicking the button, then you can make the effect from clicking an ability different between the two players.

Attachments

• SharedControlTest2.w3x
    14.5 KB · Views: 97

Steamsteam

Reaction score
thanks bob! that spell is perfect! i made it so the unit was removed insted of sticking around.. how ever - wat did you mean "you cant make the unit reapear due to variables being erased due to wait"?

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
thanks bob! that spell is perfect! i made it so the unit was removed insted of sticking around.. how ever - wat did you mean "you cant make the unit reapear due to variables being erased due to wait"?

Glad you can make use of it.

I can try to explain further what I mean.

The spell I attempted to create changes the ownership of the target for a duration. After the duration has completed, the unit is returned back to it's original owner.

Changing the ownership when you cast the spell is simple. The difficulty begins when you want to return the ownership to it's original owner. Who was this owner?

There are multiple ways to solve this, but the simplest and sure way (well almost. see below) to do it is with a local variable holding the information for you. That will require some Jass scripting. Using a global variable is a bad idea, because if you cast the spell once more, the global will be overwritten with new information.

Just a local variable will also not give you a bug-free spell. If you possess one unit, and then someone else possesses this same unit again before it's ownership is returned to the original owner, you will recieve incorrect information on who is the original owner.

If you want to correct this bug, I'd recommend Jass. Assuming that is not a viable option, you could bypass the problem by saying only units that are not currently possessed, can be possessed. To do this, put all possessed units in a unit group, and remove them from the group when they return to their original owner. Add a condition to the spell so only units not in the group can be possessed.

Hope this is not too confusing. Good luck!

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
3) is there a way for me to use something like farie fire where its permenent, gives me controll of the unit and the opponent doesnt realize it... (it doesnt have to be premenet...)
Indeed there is:
Trigger:
  • Actions
    • Unit - Grant shared vision of *Some Unit* to *Some Player*

Steamsteam

Reaction score
afraid to say it is a bit confusing :p

btw i didnt know tom jones played warcraft! thats kinda cool :p

also - this spell will only be used on red atm and maybe a few other players (all those players will not have access to the techtree that is required for this spell :p)

also - i changed the spell by adding the remove unit action but i cant get it to return to the original unit after a duration. was that already built into the trigger?

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
also - i changed the spell by adding the remove unit action but i cant get it to return to the original unit after a duration. was that already built into the trigger?

No it wasn't. I planned to, but when I encountered the requirement for local variables, I just stopped right there.

I'm away right now, so I'm afraid I can't help you with the code.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.