Single Unit Upgrades?

Vonpuppin

Reaction score
Hi, I'm making a survival game in which waves of undead attack your encampment. Original? No. Fun? I'd say so. I would REALLY like to give the player the ability to pick a unit, a single unit (NOT UNIT-TYPE) and upgrade him to either a different unit-like a promotion-or just a general stat upgrade. This would be a more customizable form of "Heros" if you were to upgrade one unit specifically to a very powerful level. I have not found a way to do this.

It should end up like this: One troll headhunter is a normal troll headhunter, and the one that you've been upgrading is SLIGHTLY larger, a berserker, and has greater stats. Any ideas guys?
Thanks alot.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
The Orc > Units > Chaos abilities convert units to different unit-types when added. There's also Attribute Bonus abilities for increasing stats, as well as the Hero - Modify Hero Attribute trigger action.

Vonpuppin

Reaction score
Ok, I turned every trainable unit into a hero unit but when I taught them Attribute Bonus, it is not only a non activatable ability (So i can't use it) but they need to learn it first. I want to get rid of the learning requirements for all my abilities because they are meant to start with them, and make the Hero Attribute Bonus ability an active ability so it actually charges the gold and lumber cost I set up with a trigger. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Thanks.

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
For the requirements you just need to find the field "Techtree - Requirements" under the ability and delete the string. Fx. Defend will say "Defend" in this field.

Vonpuppin

Reaction score
Unfortunately, after deleting the strings in my spells, they still need to be learned. The Upgrade spell (Attribute Bonus) still requires learning as well, but I want it to be usable over and over again (20 times according to what I set it to), because it would cost lumber and gold on activation. Any other ideas?

Solu9

Reaction score
You can set the upgrade costs to 0. In the upgrade tab in the object editor you can also change how many levels an upgrade has.
And what is the reason for an upgrade if it is not meant to be upgraded?

Vonpuppin

Reaction score
Thanks. Upgrade (Attribute Bonus) is just supposed to raise all 3 stats by 2 20 times. Each time you use it, a trigger subtracts your gold and lumber, making it cost money to upgrade your unit essentially. I'll check if this works.

Edit: As it turns out, there isn't a cost for the ability. Upgrade isn't an upgrade, but is an Attribute Bonus ability. The problem is I can't ACTIVATE it because its sort of a passive spell. I think I'm just going to copy immolate, have the spell do nothing, but create a trigger that detects when I use the immolate spell and raise the casting hero/unit's stats by 2 each (as well as subtract their gold/lumber). The problem I need to solve now is the fact that spells such as heal, healing ward, and firebolt (etc) still need to be learned, when I want the hero to start with them. Any ideas? Thanks a lot for all the info so far, by the way. I really appreciate it.

Solu9

Reaction score
Oh I must have read it wrong. You are basing your spell on the ability "Upgrade" and not a true upgrade.
If I am reading it right you want an ability that raises stats?
If true and thats the only kind of ability you want to work this way. Why not use the Neutral Hostile Hero ability Attribute Bonus and add a gold/lumber cost when a hero levels the ability?

Edit:
Just FYI if you were serious about changing the unit size like you said in your first post. Then you can have some fun with the trigger action "Animation - Change Unit Size"

Vonpuppin

Reaction score
Well, I have made a trigger that detects when a unit uses Berserk, which I changed to say Upgrade and do nothing at all, and charges lumber and gold to give stats to (Casting Unit). It was kind of annoying, but I also made a trigger that detected the players gold and lumber to see if he/she has enough to use the ability, and if not it displays a message saying not enough gold/lumber.

Now I have one more problem: I've turned every trainable unit into a hero. They used to know abilities like Heal and Firebolt, but now they have to LEARN them first because they've been changed to hero's. How can I change it so they start with the abilities, rather than have to learn them? Thanks.

Solu9

Reaction score
Now I have one more problem: I've turned every trainable unit into a hero. They used to know abilities like Heal and Firebolt, but now they have to LEARN them first because they've been changed to hero's. How can I change it so they start with the abilities, rather than have to learn them? Thanks.

Either add the same ability the unit has to the "Abilities -Normal" field of your hero. OR within the ability change the field "Stats - Hero Ability" to False.

Remember if you use an ability as a normal ability you cant make the hero level them up.

Vonpuppin

Reaction score
Thank you very much! I didn't know hero's could have normal abilities, so I was a bit confused. Thanks again for all your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.