Spells from outside source. Good or Bad?

IceWarrior98

Reaction score
Hey, I just got done playing an AoS map a while ago and as I was playing I noticed that there were a few abilities based and named after abilities from a game called Guildwars. These spells did a good job at copying the original effect such as the Mind Wrack ability, although would be nice if it was nerfed a bit.

And I was wondering, do you as map makers of all skill levels think it is a good idea to use abilities from other games wether it be purposely or to quickly make up for bad originality?

I only wanted to know this because I myself find it hard to think of new skills for my heros and will often think "Hey! That ability from (game) would do nicely!" but I never do it thinking it would ruin the originality I look for.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
Huh.. I do. :D I might rename it and change it around a bit to fit a map or hero but yes I do often take spell ideas from other major games like Final Fantasy, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, and so on.

People will still consider your map original. At least in my experience they will.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, look at all of the games that try to emulate other games/movies/anything. Look at all the Star Wars maps. There are tons. I think making spells from other games is perfectly fine.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Both yes and no.
I, myself, steal ideas and such at times. I mainly change them as much as possible, though.
I saw some crappy map with items taken directly from Dota Allstars. They had the same recipes and all. That sucked. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.