Other Strategic Advance - Needs Your Help!

woot

Reaction score
Game information and download:
http://www.strategicadvancegame.com

Strategic Advance is now in beta ! :D

But I need your help!

I just recently started testing the map with more than 2 people playing and I'm finding a ton of bugs.. some way worse than others.. Since these bugs only come up with more than 2 people playing, I need help figuring out what they might be and testing the map further.

Post here, or PM me, or post on my forums if you are interested in assisting.

Thank you :)

----------------------------------

MAJOR bug: Disconnects.. I don't know exactly when its happening or whats causing it, but it seems that people who aren't playing with me on my board might all disconnect at the same time for some random reason (desync?)

bug: multiboard doesn't display correctly for people not playing on my board as well (hmm)

Switch33

Reaction score
Hmm, I read the site about gameplay, units, heros, and all. Frankly i'm interested. I love the idea that it's like a mix between stratego and chess in the essence that it's a board game. Heroes infused into it that stand on the sidelines is great as well.

Suggestions:
-The problem with the gameplay as far as i can tell is that the game isn't fast paced so it makes it hard to get people interested in playing it, although i think if controls can be simplified more then it would be faster and more entertaining.

-Doing a move action after attacking usually seems like a bad idea, because it prolongues the turn and you don't exactly even notice a lot of the time its still your turn. (ends up stalling gameplay a bit)

-The sleeping of units after they attack or run out of energy is good, but sometimes it left me with no units to move at all pretty much except units stuck behind an ice wall, which is kinda awkward. Maybe sleeping should be lowered a little or maybe there should be a spell on the hero or high priest to awake a single unit.

-Healing seemed rather overpowering when I used the troll hero since the chain heal can heal several guys at once for all the damage done to them(well close to at least) with the invulnerabillity that is random it makes it very hard to kill anyone. I really didn't test any of the other heroes tho so i don't know a whole lot bout it all.

Bugs: Theres definately something wrong with the turns thing because i know several times from playing it that after you end your turn it suddenly stops for a few seconds during which nothing happens before registering that it is the opponents turn.

If you need any help with ideas I can help as well, sry I can't exactly host to check bugs but i'll try my best to identify ones whenever I am playing. Maybe i'll get a friend to host and i'll see what looks like it might be causing a bug. Although alternatively you can send me the map via personal messege here on TheHelper and I can look inside to see what is wrong. (Would work faster, but i dunno you might be conscious about people looking inside it's your map after all.)

I know a lot about mapping, and coding. I know a few things about disconnects and I might be able to find a thing or two that looks fishy. For example if u delete a unit and a rawcode still exists in the creation of a spell or something of that sort the game might bug out trying to create a non-existant unit. I also know a bunch about not having sync triggers can disconnect players.

woot

Reaction score
-The problem with the gameplay as far as i can tell is that the game isn't fast paced so it makes it hard to get people interested in playing it, although i think if controls can be simplified more then it would be faster and more entertaining.

This is true. I'm not sure how best to streamline gameplay further, but if there is any way to make it smoother I'm certainly down for that.

-Doing a move action after attacking usually seems like a bad idea, because it prolongues the turn and you don't exactly even notice a lot of the time its still your turn. (ends up stalling gameplay a bit)

I wanted to do this so that units could retreat after an attack. The blue move squares should make it noticeable that it's still your turn, I'm not sure what else to do.

-The sleeping of units after they attack or run out of energy is good, but sometimes it left me with no units to move at all pretty much except units stuck behind an ice wall, which is kinda awkward. Maybe sleeping should be lowered a little or maybe there should be a spell on the hero or high priest to awake a single unit.

yes, when it gets down towards the end of the game especially units become asleep for many turns very easily.. making you have to skip your turn a lot.. perhaps I could add sort of a "last stand" or something... as in, if you have very few units you get more energy at the start of your turn.. maybe 2x or something .. but that's tricky .. I might have to change the way the mage's shield spell works if I do that.. maybe instead give units a percentage chance to gain an extra energy point, something like that?

-Healing seemed rather overpowering when I used the troll hero since the chain heal can heal several guys at once for all the damage done to them(well close to at least) with the invulnerabillity that is random it makes it very hard to kill anyone. I really didn't test any of the other heroes tho so i don't know a whole lot bout it all.

healing actually I don't think is too overpowered.. the invulnerability shield thing though may very well be.. For some reason "random" doesn't seem all that random when using GetRandomInt ... the shield seems to randomly come up more often than it should

Bugs: Theres definately something wrong with the turns thing because i know several times from playing it that after you end your turn it suddenly stops for a few seconds during which nothing happens before registering that it is the opponents turn.

that's very odd.. I haven't experienced that in my testing at all.. I have experienced a bug where you shoot an arrow and nothing happens (online gameplay, possibly only when there are more than 2 people on a board? dunno)

If you need any help with ideas I can help as well, sry I can't exactly host to check bugs but i'll try my best to identify ones whenever I am playing. Maybe i'll get a friend to host and i'll see what looks like it might be causing a bug. Although alternatively you can send me the map via personal messege here on TheHelper and I can look inside to see what is wrong. (Would work faster, but i dunno you might be conscious about people looking inside it's your map after all.)

I'd let you look in my map but I don't even think it would be worth it.. as in.. there is so much code that probably only I would have any idea what's going on =\

I know a lot about mapping, and coding. I know a few things about disconnects and I might be able to find a thing or two that looks fishy. For example if u delete a unit and a rawcode still exists in the creation of a spell or something of that sort the game might bug out trying to create a non-existant unit. I also know a bunch about not having sync triggers can disconnect players.

I really don't know what's causing my disconnect bug

like I said, it only happens to players who aren't playing on the board that the host is playing on.. and it will happen to all of the players on that board at the same time... which I really don't get...

Things I do to the local player:

multiboard changes, timer window display, locking camera to a unit, (and more recently after the bug was noticed changing a unit's vertex color)

that's about it really

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.