The Death Penalty

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I've said this before. I wish they had mind wipes like in Babylon 5 and the people are forced to serve humanity as priests or whatever. Killing is just wrong especially when the majority of them are blacks in the US - and life in prison just costs us a fortune. Mind wipes are no drain and they could be a positive in society - if only it were so.

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> Death penatlys should only be used when you are 99% sure and all the evidence points to 1 person

That will never happen, you'll never be able to say he is 99% guilty. You can say that with the current evidence there is 99% he did the crime, but that's still very far from being almost sure he did it.

The goal of rules is to scare people. The question is, how far would you go to make people scared. Saying "he should die/live becuase that is how he'll suffer more" shows that you don't know what punishments are made for. They are made to let the people know if they'll do something, they'll get punishment. In theory, if someone did a crime there is no need to arrest him, he did it, end of story. However, if you'll put him in jail, then people will know not to do what he did - fear.

Now, as I said the death pelanty doesn't only encourages people to kill, by letting them know it's ok, but is also inhuman. You do not kill someone else, especially if you are ought to look after him.

Following the death penality's logic, the executers of the criminal should be executed too. And guess who are the executers? The goverment, that kills with death penalties more and more people.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
the death pelanty doesn't only encourages people to kill, by letting them know it's ok

That's duff logic in my eyes. Are you saying the criminal sees the executioner as legally comitting murder? Realistically, the criminal is more likely to see himself in the position of the condemned, executed for his crimes.

On whether or not execution should go ahead based on the evidence, I will use 2 Case Studies.
The first case is the Oklahoma City Bombing, which took place on April 19th, 1995. It claimed 167 lives outright and injured 850 more. A rescue worker later died after being struck on the head by falling debris.
Timothy McVeigh was convicted on 11 counts and recieved the Death Penalty. He was executed on June 11th, 2001. The evidence against him was overwhelming, including the testimony of 2 fellow conspiritors.
Furthermore, McVeigh did not deny his lead role in the bombing, but instead, during the trial, he instructed his lawyers to use a necessity defense, arguing that his bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah building (the target) was a justifiable response to what he believed were the crimes of the U.S. government at Waco, Texas, during the 51-day siege of the Branch Davidian complex that resulted in the death of 76 Branch Davidian members.

The Second Case is that of Kenny Richey, convicted in 1987 of murdering two year-old Cynthia Collins by arson in 1986. He was on death row for 20 years. In recent decelpoments, it was announced on December 19, 2007 that Richey is to be freed and will return to Scotland immediately after accepting a plea bargain involving pleading no contest to involuntary manslaughter, child endangering and breaking and entering, and being sentenced to time served, with the murder and arson charges dropped. A no-contest plea is not an admission of guilt, but is treated as such by the courts.
During his 20-year incarceration, grave doubts arose about the entirely circumstantial evidence that convicted Richey, particularly the forensic evidence.
The decision to overturn his conviction was based on dodgy evidence and an incompetant defense, among other factors. He was retried and again found guilty. Legal wrangles continued, however, and in August 2007 another retrial was ordered. This was when Richey agreed to the plea bargain, which would leave him a free man.

As you can see, these are two compeltely different cases; however, the evidence regarding them is what is important. In Case 1, the evidence was overwhelming and the act of terrorism was not denied by the accused. In Case 2, on the other hand, the evidence was flawed, and the innocence of the accused has always been atested to (though he wasn't exactly a model citizen).

In my opinion, the death penalty should be restricted in use much further, and only for more heinous crimes. The evidence in all cases should be rock solid with no cracks.
Else, a life conviction is the other option. Like DDR said, prisons are too cushy to be considered a serious alternative (paticularly in the UK, but I won't go into that right now). An alternative? Tougher prison systems, though not to the extremes seen in the far east, while still maintaining the sense of punishment. Another scheme is a possible Tent City, such as this one.

I also think Estonia's proposal, mentioned by Sooda, is a good idea. A chance for freedom for the innocent, and a way of getting rid of those who know themselves guilty if they wish it; for this to work, prisons must toughen up.

And to think I could have spent the time used writing this mini-essay to do my school coursework :rolleyes:

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
I agree and disagree.
(I'm gray; not white nor black)

At some point, Death Penalty can scare off people from doing crime (like what Death note does, but that's just Anime and cannot always be real)

But death penalty is just inhuman, taking someone else's life while there's a chance for him to regret his mistakes and become a good man. (but this case is rare :p)

"I don't care if he betrays me 20 times, I'll still trust him 21 times."
--Mahatma Gandhi

We can give people another chance.
But of course, the culprit won't just be freed that easily, he will have to make up for his crime, and therefore needs to be imprisoned.

Just make jail-life as nasty as possible while within the limit of humanity :p
so less people want to commit crime and stay there.

And some might argue that keeping them alive on this earth, in a cell filled with filthy inmates for decades until they meet their death would be a much worse punishment than a quick, painless death.

I agree with this one.
Just make sure he doesn't escape due to the amount of stress caused by prison-life.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
>he will have to make up for his crime,

you can't make up for a life.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
Hmm... you're talking about a murderer?
Well................................................I dunno :p
(in that case, enslave him, forever)

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I agree with Hannibul:

"An eye for an eye"-law made by Hannibul

Allow me to finish the entirety of that quote, as made by a man named Ghandi.

An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
An eye for an eye, aye? And I thought we lived in modern days, where the law is (somewhat) reasonable. An eye for an eye and the system collapses, as Seth said.

Let me give you an example. Say someone gets very ill, and he is most likely to stay in a coma for the rest of his life (not sure, but most likely), can someone decide whether he should die or not? No, no one can becuase one can't decide if someone else should live or die, no matter what he did.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
If you look at this from a none-emotional point of view the death penalty is a perfectly fine exercise, even with the occasional innocent deaths.

We have 6 billion people on this world. One dieing won't matter. Two dieing won't matter. A million dieing would be only a slight blow, it might actually benefit humanity.

Why are we being hung up on killing off the worst of society? It would only benefit us. If we take out the bad good will have to become better to survive.

esb

Reaction score
I agree with ArmedCitizen

Now I know someone will say "what if it's you or your family" etc., then you don't do something worthy of the Death penalty in the first place.

The problem with DeathPenalty is all emotional and mental.

DM Cross

Reaction score
If you look at this from a none-emotional point of view the death penalty is a perfectly fine exercise, even with the occasional innocent deaths.

We have 6 billion people on this world. One dieing won't matter. Two dieing won't matter. A million dieing would be only a slight blow, it might actually benefit humanity.

Why are we being hung up on killing off the worst of society? It would only benefit us. If we take out the bad good will have to become better to survive.

Why?

Because people thinking like that are the ones who eventually sit in a room while people in governments decide if it's right to kill them :)

Because you're not God. You've no right to judge anyone or if they should live. Thus, you don't.

esb

Reaction score
What if I was to say God doesn't exist?
Why does God get to choose who lives or doesn't? I thought he loved us, yet he kills us.

DM Cross

Reaction score

I would disagree with you. But that's a different topic then one available, so we won't discuss it :)

Why does God get to choose who lives or doesn't? I thought he loved us, yet he kills us.

Really? Because I thought our government was supposed to love and protect us. Yet you're trying to state they get the right to kill us?

Sure. That makes sense :rolleyes:

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score

A world without Death, is a world of chaos...

Anyway

Really? Because I thought our government was supposed to love and protect us. Yet you're trying to state they get the right to kill us?

The state has the right to kill if you were proven guilty for a crime to that extreme... Yet I do not support it, I will just deal with it. If you do something you will have to deal with what happens afterwards, Besides most judges won't sentence you to death unless its completely proven that you are gulity

Yet, I feel that only the high courts such as State courts or the Supreme court could only sentence people to death...
As well people vote on judges, you don't just get picked by the mayor or w/e
So if you think a judge made a incorrect decision don't vote for them to be judge

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
You've no right to judge anyone or if they should live. Thus, you don't.

I don't, yes, but the judge does and I think he/she has every right to. To become a judge you need to have extensive knowledge of the law, which includes understanding rightful punishments. If they decide that a crime was worthy of death, I support it. (Most of the time.)

Sure the judge might make mistakes but in the long wrong, it doesn't matter. One life can change the world, but with it gone we just move on.

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score

That, my friend, is a tragic leap down the path of corruption. The fact of the matter is, impartial systems are not impartial. Judges, police, and governments are not machines - they, like all others, are subject to bias, prejudice, self-interest, and all of humankind's other vices. However, we obviously have to compromise somewhere, or we would live in a world where no one is punished because we say no one is fit to punished, thereby causing chaos. That said, the matter of life and death transcends this - we simply cannot compromise on a matter of this importance. It may be horrible to imprison an innocent person for 10 years, but that must be sacrificed so that we can have a system that is at least moderately effective; but, conversely, bestowing death upon someone is irreversible - it is the ultimate wrongdoing. And, that power is one that should not belong to anyone who isn't perfect, including judges, police, and government.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Ok let me explain.. Killing = Bad

Hitler killed millions of Jews in WWII, what happened? He lost the war and made Germany corrupted.

Stalin killed millions in USSR, what happened? The USSR collapsed.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
In history we learn from our mistakes right? So if a country needs to kill to keep order, it's going to eventually end up as a revolution and the country itself will collapse (USSR,Austria-Hungary,ect)

DM Cross

Reaction score
I don't, yes, but the judge does and I think he/she has every right to. To become a judge you need to have extensive knowledge of the law, which includes understanding rightful punishments. If they decide that a crime was worthy of death, I support it. (Most of the time.)

Really? Judges are now as good as executioners? That's funny. I always pictured Judges as those who determine guilt. Not those who kill people.

What then is the difference between a judge and a murderer with good intentions?

The road to Hell... :)

The state has the right to kill if you were proven guilty for a crime to that extreme... Yet I do not support it, I will just deal with it. If you do something you will have to deal with what happens afterwards, Besides most judges won't sentence you to death unless its completely proven that you are gulity

Yet, I feel that only the high courts such as State courts or the Supreme court could only sentence people to death...
As well people vote on judges, you don't just get picked by the mayor or w/e
So if you think a judge made a incorrect decision don't vote for them to be judge

I love how people keep saying that a life isn't important. I think you would all sing a different tune if that life was yours. Or your mother's or father's. It's not the same though, right?

Wrong. Killing for justice is but a short step away from killing in general.

"The state has the right to kill you" There's tomorrow's "famous last words" :rolleyes:

If we convict people for murder, why is it okay for the government? Answer? It's not.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.