The Death Penalty

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Ghan_04 said:
Resolved: A just society ought not use the death penalty as a form of punishment.​

Do you agree or disagree with the statement? And why do you think that?

Here you go! Argue your opinions, support your points, and debate with passion. :)

Have fun with it, guys. :p

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
By all means death penalties should not be used in my opinion.

A) Once you kill someone there is no going back. If he was found innocent after a while, nothing you can do.
B) Killing your own citizens shows people that killing is ok, even if only at certain circumstances.
C) The goverment is ought to be above it's citizens, meaning it's goal is to watch and protect them. What goverment can protect citizens it kills?

The only reason death penalty may be used it to keep people away from murdering, by scaring them, however, death penalties encourage murders.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
There is also middle path what is cheaper for tax payers. No actual death penalty. Sentence will be given in years. People who are sentenced for life are given opportunity to agree with their own death at any time. It gives innocent people chance to live as a bonus. Estonian government plans to promote this idea only because it' s cheaper than keeping them alive.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Sure, lets keep them in jail forever, paying for all their Computers, TVs, Food, and all the other nice stuff they get in jail, instead of killing them.

What do they get for killing people? A nice place to live.
I'm for death penalty, and I don't see why anyone would want to have to pay taxes to keep people alive that kill your own kind, most of the time for money.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Some time ago I wondered why in world there are still criminals. Fixed percent of people always turns to criminals. They study side by side in school with others. Still they end up like that. Thats going on already centuries and nobody cares. We are already too busy with our own lives. No time to worry about others. You don' t want to get run over by car, do you ? Why is it ok to grow criminals ? In the end someone gets killed and another goes to jail.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Death Penalty should be only to people you are sure did a serious crime.

It is vile to take someone's life away. I think it is good in only some cases, but they pretty much have it only in "some cases". But sometimes they aren't always sure. Someone died for something he didn't do.. Sad. :(

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> Death Penalty should be only to people you are sure did a serious crime.

You can never be sure.

Also, think about the fact that once you kill someone you hurt his relatives as well, do they desrve to be punished?

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
> Death Penalty should be only to people you are sure did a serious crime.

You can never be sure.

Also, think about the fact that once you kill someone you hurt his relatives as well, do they desrve to be punished?

I agree. You can never be sure either.

But that's why there is evidence and proof. A lot of death penalties are from a ton of kills, so how do you think the victims' families felt?

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
We should be like China or North Korea, if they murder someone they shoot them, and charge the family for the bullet used. :p

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I think a criminal should only die by the Death Penalty, when there is EVIDENCE that the criminal committed the crime worthy of a Death Penalty (ex. Murder, Massacre, etc.).

The criminal testifying against himself should not count as evidence because he/she could be willing to cover and die for someone else.

Keeping criminals is expensive, and the people are the ones that pay for it.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
I agree with Hannibul:

"An eye for an eye"-law made by Hannibul

Made by Hammurabi* just to correct your history.
___

Would it be right if someone stole from you to steal right back? The death penalty is kind of hypocritical....

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I agree.
A man kills someone, but GOD FORBID it's unlawful to kill him, so why not just let him off easy? It's crap. :p

But what if death takes man to a better place?

You wont know this until you yourself face death.

And some might argue that keeping them alive on this earth, in a cell filled with filthy inmates for decades until they meet their death would be a much worse punishment than a quick, painless death.

And either way you look at it, as long as they have no parol, they will rot in jail and eventually die, in both cases.

esb

Reaction score
So pretty much the only differences is the cost to keep them alive (ironic), and the moral issues.

Some can argue that two wrongs don't make a good, or an eye for an eye, yet each have their time and exceptions.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
But what if death takes man to a better place?

You wont know this until you yourself face death.

And some might argue that keeping them alive on this earth, in a cell filled with filthy inmates for decades until they meet their death would be a much worse punishment than a quick, painless death.

And either way you look at it, as long as they have no parol, they will rot in jail and eventually die, in both cases.

Have you been to a jail lately? They're pretty nice. :rolleyes:

esb

Reaction score
Depends on what jail, for what you're in, and with who you're in.

A lot of inmates will treat you differently depending on how you look (discriminating), what crime you did, etc.

So no, it's not always nice.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
I agree and disagree.

Death penatlys should only be used when you are 99% sure and all the evidence points to 1 person. It should only used on major crimes.

On the otherhand , people can change and killing them is not neccary and jail would just be enough. I have known people that have gone to jail before and there great people afterwards.

esb

Reaction score
Change for what? They're stuck in jail if they don't get the Death Penalty...

and usually when the Death Penalty is taken into consideration, it's when you've done a crime that will keep you in jail for the rest of your life.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.