The Super Official Tutorial - where is it?

The_Word

Reaction score
I always wondered, where is the official toturial? The people who wrote the toturials of this website must had learnt what they know from somewhere, so where is it?

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
The people who wrote the toturials of this website must had learnt what they know from somewhere, so where is it?

so you're accusing all of them of copying?

they made WE do things other people didnt it know was capable of.
they were the brilliant people who unlocked the secret powers of the WE.

if there was such a tutorial, what would be the point of this whole community?
you could just read it yourself and know everything.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
It's called trial and error, mixed in with a little bit of prior knowledge of things from related fields. Throw a bit of observation skill in there too and you can just about learn anything

The_Word

Reaction score
so you're accusing all of them of copying?

they made WE do things other people didnt it know was capable of.
they were the brilliant people who unlocked the secret powers of the WE.

if there was such a tutorial, what would be the point of this whole community?
you could just read it yourself and know everything.

What is this personal attack?
I don't accuse anyone of do anything. I just wondered, there got to be a guide for every program, where is WE's guide? It is a senseful wondering to have. I know about trial and error, but still, there are some thing that you must have a guide for them. I'm not saying anyone coppied anything, it's not my point. Fact is there are plenty of toturials for any program which already has an official toturial. It just doesn't make sense that blizzard wouldn't write a guide for such a huge tool, can't think they expect people to "unlock the secrets" with trial and error (altought it's possible). "what's the point of this community?", once again, fact is there are plenty of supporting communities for a lot of programs. I'm not talking about a guide of "how to create spells", but a basic guide of how does JASS work, and a basic explaination of WE's tools.

joaoac

Reaction score
basic explaination of WE's tools comes with the program. There's a(or an?) html file with it. Search it in the program folder.

I really think Blizzard enforces that people do try and error.

The Big Tutorial you need, can be found here http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/

It's fullfilled of tips from people from The Helper.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
Thats why there is this community, there is no guide. Read the info when you start the world editor, it says it is not supported by blizzard. You think it would make sense for them to release a guide, but it doesn't. The editor/a similar tool was used inhouse for the production of the game, so they didn't need a guide to use it, they made it. It has just been added to war 3 as a novelty for gamers, allowing them to create custom content for themselves. For blizzard to write a manual for the editor would be as expensive as it would be lengthy, and a pointless task being that they wouldn't be able to cover every custom game concept, especially ones that hadn't even been invented prior to war 3's release.

People started with the world editor by tinkering with what they know and what they could find in blizzards maps, and expanded on it from there. They then learnt from each other's maps what was possible, and sites like this one popped up to store the information. Not everything can be learnt from reading a tutorials, I mean what would be the point of living if you needed a guide every step of the way. Half the fun is figuring it out for yourself, and when you get stuck it is just good to know that you can find help somewhere.

Alot of the people who discovered all the more difficult features of the world editor have some sort of programming background or computer knowledge, so in a sense they have taken a tutorial of a different kind and adapted it to warcraft much in the way you don't want a tutorial on how to create a specific spell, but how general spell creation works... different people have different levels of knowledge on different subjects, it's as simple as that. Just because you don't understand it on the spot, doesn't mean someone else can't.

The_Word

Reaction score
Well, the fact they are not directly supporting the editor would be enough to answer my question. It is reasonable that people with knowledge in progaraming and computers would figure out the custom script and advanced stuff like that, which probably appear in other games editors as well (so they did the connection themselves, or something). One last thing, i read the "official" guide you guys posted here long time ago, it doesn't cover an inch.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
To make it fast:
The people who wrote the tutorials of this website must had learnt what they know from somewhere
That somewhere is called the map editor. Read what the triggers are, and POOF! Read what the object editor allows you to change! "Art - Scaling size" Hmm... Probably makes pink mushrooms appear, huh. Well, change it, put the unit down, and test! Ohhh...It’s the SIZE of the unit. Drat, I was looking forward to those mushroom. AHA! You learned what it is without a tutorial! You gotta learn before you make tutorials, or else there wouldn’t be a "Super tutorial" to begin with.. But the tutorials that people here made here will help you learn. Some. The rest you learn yourself, and someday make your tutorial....

Learn by trying things. That’s how I learned. No tutorials. Sure, It took me about a year of fiddling around..

There are some basic tutorials to get you stared, which I didn’t use, so It would take you less than a year, unlike for me. However, I was like 10 when I started as well.... So.. >_>

Once you learn the basics, just keep fiddling around with triggers seeing what they do. Im sure you wont just "Find out" easy as pie, but you will learn a lot. The rest, other people will find out, and make tutorials about. So there’s NO NEED for a "Ultimate tutorial" that teaches you everything. If you don’t want to go through the bother of learning by yourself, then you wont get very good at it.

People make tutorials of what they learn; and think other people need help understanding. They don’t read a "Super Official Tutorial" then copy parts of it down into tutorials for other people..

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
To The_Word:

WE have no tutorials for it. Sorry. There's no tutorial for every single definitions for each things, like Stats, Attacks, Level, (Tier 1, 2, etc.) in the Object Editor (What does this mean? What does this affect? etc.), AI Editor (step by step, to create your own basic, working, able-to-defeat-a-computer AI creation, etc.), Trigger Editor (This <action> means how you're suppose to do <that action it is defining or talking about>), JASS execution codes meaning (Like "RemoveLocation(udg_Your_Variable)" means that it wipes off a bit of data in your RAM that has a variable set to your Location, called Region, or called Point, etc.), a dictionary for everything in the WE, or something like those.

Basic tutorials are mostly what comes in the maps provided in the Map Submission. You wouldn't expect someone to write a book for World Editor like the Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Step by Step by John Sharp, made especially for C# programming language, which the book itself explains how to work in a C# developing environment, or how to create your own easy way of using codes to create or compile a program.

Like what the above posts had said, WE isn't something that you could use for most things. It is restricted to Warcraft 3 series, so nobody wants to create a tutorial for a editor/creator/compiler/etc. program that is restricted to something, somekind, or some genre with little freedom in it.

So, any more questions?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
There's no "Ultimate guide on how to use WE" in existence as far as I know. The creators of the tutorials just had a bit of ingenuity, thought of an idea, and tested it to see if it worked. If it worked, hurrah, something interesting discovered, a tutorial gets made (usually).

Then, people read the tutorial, learn from it (hopefully, else the tutorial was pointless) and, possibly in the future, get their own ideas and make their own tutorial on something.

Just mess around with World Editor if you want to figure out how to use it. Start small, mess around with different things (start with abilities and buffs IMO, they were the easiest for me) and see what results you get.

@13lade: I think he meant something like "Where did people get the knowledge of WE to make the tutorials" and not "Where did they copy all that stuff from" ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.