Tic-Tac-Toe-Map?

Stigoz

Reaction score
Tic-Tac-Toe-Map!

This is a complete walkthrough of my ideas about a tic-tac-toe map, you are welcome to try out these ideas and make your own maps from them... (if you do, please tell me)
And i'm a newbie to WE, so excuse me for my noobishness.

1. The Basics
My idea was to create a tic-tac-toe map, where you have to gain control of certain points on the map, and in order to win you'll have to have three points in a row.

The first obstacle was to make out a system who could check if wether a player had three in a row, or just three points shattered over the map. Therefore i made a system of variables (explained later) to calculate this.

The second problem was that players could maybe just choose to destroy the enemy old-school way by destroying his base. To prevent this I'll make the map so there wil be some kind of obstacle that only one of the players can pass, that means, player 1 can't gain acces to player 2's base, and player 2 can't gain acces to player 1's base.

The hird problem was, that a player easily could capture three points by just taking them close to his base, to prevent this i will make a waygate in the middle of the map, both players got a sistergate to this, so the middlest point will be hard to gain and hold! And there will also be another waygate in each mainbase, where the player can build the sistergate himself. Each base also got lumber and gold.

To control a point you need your point-controler (explained later) within range of the control-point, if there are more than 2 point-controlers in one control-point, it will still only gain a point to the first holder. Also, each point can only give a max of ONE point!

2. The Units
I've chosen to customize units this way:
Each team has a juman-like race, with extremely fast-builded units, and there will be quick units for hit&run on the point-controlers, and more resilient and armored for the frontlines! The most buildings will be NE, as they can uproot, and mobility means alot in this map. The only heroes are : Warpers and Outrunners.
I wanted to give the map a little tactical variation, so the units have very, very different stats etc.

I don't want to armies just to clash together, here it's about frontlines and tactics, for a example, if you put 3 holers against 3 armored footmen, the holers would lose. But if you put 10 armored footmen with 3 holers up against 20 armored footmen, then the team with the holers would win! So holers a very important, and if you add chargers to take out the support, then what happens?

Special Units:

Point Controlers:
- Extremely Slow
- Very expensive in both food, gold and lumber.
- Buildtime = 5 mins.
- No attack
- Very few HP's
- Max limit: 3
- Used to control control-points
- Can only be build 10 minutes after game-start

Warpers ("extra dropoff station for gold"):
- Very slow
- Very expensive in both gold and lumber
- No attack
- Ability of summoning demons (very devestating on the battlefield)
- Very few HP's

Outrunners (used for taking out Warpers and Point Controlers):
- Very fast
- Very expensive in both gold and lumber
- Attack 1 damage = 600-900)
- Attack 1 got a cooldown on 15 mins.
- Attack 2 (ranged) = Based on strength (of which he hasn't got much)
- Attack 2 cooldown = 6 secs.

Sky-Reavers:
- Very fast
- Very, very expensive in food, lumber and gold
- Max limit = 3
- Very few HP's
- Very much attack-damage
- Only flying unit

Normal Units:

Armored Footman (footman):
- Slow
- Many HP's
- Average attack-damage
- Standard front-troopers
- Has the ability to defend (10% damage from pierce, 10% of normal damage dealt)
- The cheap cannon-fodder
Used for making the frontlline of soldiers, and used for taking out Chargers

Charger (knight):
- Average movespeed
- Few HP's
- Good attack damage
- Used for Hit&Run tactics
- Expensive
- Hass the ability: Shields Up (0% damage from pierce, 30% normal damage dealt, 10% movespeed)
Used for taking out Holers, used for running behind enemies lines

Holer (rifleman):
- Slow movespeed
- very few HP's
- Very large attack-power
- Good Range
- 200% damage dealt against Mongils and Armored Footmen
- Expensive
Used to destroy the enemies frontlines!

Mongil (ghoul, scaled 1,4)
- Very slow movespeed (55)
- Very many HP's
- Very large attack damge, with very long cooldown
- The "Siege-Weapon"
- Expensive
Used to destroy enemies buildings

Basic Buildings (can be build):

Reapeater Croosbow-Tower:
- Small attack damage, deals only 10% damage to Mongils and Armored Footmen
- Used for taking out the non-front soldiers as: Chargers, Outrunner, Point Controlers, Warpers and Skyreavers

Tower of Fire:
- Very great attack-power, deals 300% damage to Mongils and Armored Footmen
- 0% damage taken from Armored Footmen
- 200% damage taken from Holers

Waygate:
- A sistergate to the second waygate in the base
- Very few HP's
- Max limit = 1

Main-Base only buildings(cannot be build, but is in your startbase):

Castle:
- Creates worker units
- Like the standard one

Waygate 1:
- Connected to the one in the middle of the map

Waygate 2:
- Connected to the one you build yourself

Barracks:
- Create Outrunners, Chargers and Armored Footmen

Arcane Castle:
- Create Point-Controlers and Sky Reavers

Hell-Mound:
- Create Warpers and Mongils

Gun-Castle:
- Create Holers.

3. The Variables
As said before, i have made a system of variables to control if a player got 3 points in a row or not. First i makes these variables:
A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H.

Each is initialy 0.
Each of these variables represents a direction (check the shcemes i added), if a player got more than 3 points in of these variables he wins.

To earn points in each variable you have to control points. In the scheme value of points, you can see which directions a point adds a point to.

Ex.:
A player have gain control of A1, B2 and B3.
A1 adds a point to the variables: A, D and F (That makes 1 point in A, 1 point in D and 1 point in F)
B2 adds a point to the variables: A, B, C and G (That makes 2 points in A, 1 point in D, 1 point in F, 1 point in B, 1 point in C and 1 point in G)
B3 adds a point to the variables: G and E (That makes 2 points in A, 1 point in D, 1 point in F, 1 point in B, 1 point in C, 1 point in E and 2 points in G)

(If you don't get this, please tell me)

3. The Questions

Waygates:
1. How do i create one-way waygates?
2. How do i activate the waygates 10 minutes after game start?

Pathing Blockers:
3. Is it possible to make a pathing blocker, who only blocks one of the players units?
4. If yes, how?

Point-Controlers and Control Points:
5. How do i make the Control Point check if there are a Point-Controler within its area or not?
6. How do i make it so it only gives 1 point no matter how many Point-Controlers there are within its area?
7. How do i set Point-Controlers maximum limit to 3?
8. How do i make the Control Point only give a point to the first ocupier?
9. How do i make the Point Controlers unbuildable the first 10 minutes after game start?

Units:
10. How do i make a unit do more or less attack-damage to another unit? (Like the Holers who give 200% extra against Armored Footmen)
11. How do i set Sky Reavers maximum limit to 3?

The Variables:
12. How should i make the Control Points give a point to holding player when holded?
13. What do you think of my system? Do you understand it?
14. How should i do the whole thing with variables (very unexperienced with varaiables)

General:
15. What do you think of the idea?
16. What do you think of the very diferent types of units?
17. What do you think of my way the game is aranged?
18. Would you like to play this kind'o game?
19. How could i make diferent variations of this type of map?

20. Do you think it looks good?!

Stig Bentsen: Tic-Tac-Toe-Map!

Tell me if you want further explanations!!
By the way:
Im not english, so please forgive my rotten gramar- and spellingmistakes...

I have TFT!

Attachments

• TTT-Ex.jpg
    TTT-Ex.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Tic-Tac-Toe.jpg
    Tic-Tac-Toe.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 137
Looks good. I'd love to play this when its done, youve really thought this idea out and i recon it'll be good. But this probably should be in the members projects area.

Neato

Heres a potential solution to your second problem =D
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/elevators.php

I like this idea very much and i wish you the best of luck with it! Id like to point out however that one of the key factors in whether a map sinks or swims on Bnet is whether or not its easy to pick up and play. By that i mean make it very easy to learn with no long tutorial that will drive away all the impatienent players who are online to get some quick giggles and not to humor up and coming mappers... Just make sure the player doesnt have to think alot in order to play. :rolleyes: Try eliminating the need to collect resources and select units wisely(Think footman frenzy)... I could say more on this but it looks like you have work to do. lol

Waygates:
1. How do i create one-way waygates?
2. How do i activate the waygates 10 minutes after game start?

Pathing Blockers:
3. Is it possible to make a pathing blocker, who only blocks one of the players units?
4. If yes, how?

Point-Controlers and Control Points:
5. How do i make the Control Point check if there are a Point-Controler within its area or not?
6. How do i make it so it only gives 1 point no matter how many Point-Controlers there are within its area?
7. How do i set Point-Controlers maximum limit to 3?
8. How do i make the Control Point only give a point to the first ocupier?
9. How do i make the Point Controlers unbuildable the first 10 minutes after game start?

Units:
10. How do i make a unit do more or less attack-damage to another unit? (Like the Holers who give 200% extra against Armored Footmen)
11. How do i set Sky Reavers maximum limit to 3?

The Variables:
12. How should i make the Control Points give a point to holding player when holded?
13. What do you think of my system? Do you understand it?
14. How should i do the whole thing with variables (very unexperienced with varaiables)

General:
15. What do you think of the idea?
16. What do you think of the very diferent types of units?
17. What do you think of my way the game is aranged?
18. Would you like to play this kind'o game?
19. How could i make diferent variations of this type of map?

20. Do you think it looks good?!

1. Simply don't activate the other waygate.
2. Make a trigger with a 10-min timer activating the one waygate.
3. No. You could have a region which explodes people.
5. Periodic check. Turn trigger on at 10-min.
6. Make an array of booleans, one for each region, then turn each one on when point-controllers come; check when another point-controller is in the region with the periodic check above.
7. When a player makes 3, make a trigger run to disable construction. When a point-controller dies, make a trigger run to enable construction.
8. Instead of making an array of booleans, like above, make an array of players and then check, in the point-control trigger, whether the owner of the point is no unit or not.
9. Do not add point-controllers to any barracks until 10 mins after start, with a trigger. Add unit for construction, I think, or something like that.
10. I suggest armor types. Fortified, Double Plated, Leather, etc.
11. Again, disable construction when a player makes 3, enable construction for a player who has 3 when it dies.
12. Set an integer array, add to it occasionally when holded.
13. Meh... I think it's been done before as Zone Control, although differently.
14. Simple. Choose the data type to make, and check 'array' and set the array size(which makes it, basically, multiple variables) if you need it to be an array.
15. Meh.
16. Too many big construction costs. If you set a ghoul to need 600 gold and 400 lumber, and a footman to need 30 gold and 20 lumber, which one will beat the other: 20 footmen or 1 ghoul?
17. More than 9 central areas. I suggest 16.
18. Meh.
19. Which kinds? Just a terrain-swap or what?

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.