Tutorial Tooltips

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This is a tutorial about tooltips and other things that maybe in tooltips.

So you may ask these:

What are "TOOLTIPS"?
Tooltips are those what you see and read when you try to learn an ability, try to buy a unit or item, try to use an item or ability and information of a certain item or ability, passive or active.

Why do we need to know anything about tooltips?
Tooltips are the essential parts of a skill of which it will identify both you, and the seer, know what this certain ability, item or other objects do. If you cannot understand the tooltip, then you wouldn't really know what it does unless it is your second or third time to do it.

Kinds of Tooltips

Abilities:

There are at least 3 types of tooltips. These are Learn tooltips, Normal tooltips, and Turn Off tooltips. All of these tooltips are found with Hero type of abilities

herotooltipsem2.png

LEARN = These tooltips are seen when you try to learn an ability

learntooltipym8.png

NORMAL = These tooltips are seen when you look at the information of an already learned ability or a unit ability

normaltooltipds4.png

TURN OFF = This tooltip has 2 uses which has different effects on Activate/Deactivate Abilities (e.g. Immolation) and Auto-cast abilities (e.g. Cold Arrows)

@ Activate/Deactivate = This is quite simple. It is seen when you want to deactivate it from its effect such as immolation

turnoffimmozx3.png

@ Auto-cast = There are 2 parts in Turn Off, one is simply just "Turn Off" and the other is "Turn Off - Extended". Now they are seen below your "Normal - Extended" tooltip (commonly shown in light blue). What you right in Turn Off alone is when your activate its auto-cast and Turn Off - Extended is the opposite, it is when you deactivate the auto-cast.

turnoffcaha4.png

Units:

There are 3 or 4 types of tooltips. These are Revive, Extended and Basic. All these tooltips are found with Hero type of unit.

unittooltipspi2.png

BASIC - These tooltips are seen when you try to Buy a unit (with hotkey)

EXTENDED - These tooltips are seen when you try to buy a unit as information

unitbandebr2.png

REVIVE - This tooltip is seen when you try to revive a hero

unitreviverg6.png

Items:

There is only 2 which is Basic, Extended and nothing else

itemtooltipszs0.png

Codes

Codes are strings and things like that to create a special effect to your tooltips such as colors and spacing. Very widely known codes in Warcraft III are |cffffcc00, |r, and |n

Simple Codes

|c-colorcode- ~ This is a code which would give the text color than just white (or plainly #FFFFFF). |cffffcc00 is usually used in hotkeys, Level emphasis (see above) and other things.
Want more colors? Go to this link:
http://www.virtuelle-identitaet.ch/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=32
PS: |cff must be the suffix and also remove the # sign to make the color code properly work.

|r ~ This code ends the color codes or is a full stop of a color code. Typing Hel|cffffcc00l|ro will only "yellow" the l, but if you type Hel|cffffcc00lo, it will "yellow" o as well or even until the end of the tooltip (or messages in the trigger editor).

|n ~ Rather simple. It doesn't relate anything to color but it is helpful in spacing and acts as a line breaker in the World Editor, both tooltips and Trigger Editor. See below for an example:

13216403wc9.png

Very Uncommon!
%d = This gets the integer level of a current skill + 1, which is used in Tooltip - Learn such as "Learn |cffffcc00R|ressurection" - [|cffffcc00Level %d|r]". If, for example, the current level is 3, so it would look like this = "Learn Ressurection - [Level 4]

Raw Codes

Raw Codes are codes seen in raw detail rather than the real and simple name itself (such as Water Elemental = Simple).

When you see some tooltips, you'll see gibberish somewhat like this which, when you look for that data, you don't know where to get it.

We will use "Bash" as our skill

gibberishcodesgf7.png

Now, go the View Menu of the Trigger Editor and check "Display Values as Raw Data" or simple Ctrl + D

displayvaluesasrawdatackm3.png

Now you'll see more gibberish. The left side is not seen in reality, but edited by yours truly.

moregibberisheo7.png

If you have understood above, let us see again the "Normal - Extended" tooltip for Bash and let us identify what the gibberish (let's call it Raw Codes now) are.

identifysm1.png

PS: To make your custom spells work, you have to change the left (before the comma) raw code to the raw code of the custom spell.

Now let's go to summon spells. Summon spells has different raw codes than the other skills because their raw data doesn't some from the skill, but a unit (specifically, the unit being summoned)

Let's have "Summon Water Elemental" based.

unitgibberishkj1.png

Now, the boxed raw codes do not exist in the skill. So you have to look for it. You will find it in the unit section. Since we are basing the skill to "Summon Water Elemental", then we get the Water Elemental unit

waterelementalbq1.png

As you see above, the raw code in the tooltip has the raw code of water elemental. The only problem is, how do we get mindmg1, maxdmg1 and realHP? Well, they do not exist in the unit (in my knowledge) and maxdmg1 and mindmg1 is set on a unit, which is unknown for me to change as well. Only realHP can get the HP of a unit but (I think) there is no way to get mindmg and maxdmg

mindmg1 = Minimum Damage of based unit
maxdmg1 = Maximum Damage of a based unit
realHP = Total Base Hit Points (HP) of a unit

Extra: Auto-Fill

Auto-Fill is used to automatically fill all the tooltips or values at one time depending on the desired increment (otherwise, tooltips are consecutives, 1, 2, 3 etc..)

This is an image to where you'll find Auto-Fill, we are using an edited "Avatar" skill which has 5 levels.

autofill1lg1.png

When you press the one highlighted blue, a window will open (image is below).
"Start from level" states what number will start first
"Replace with level" is the number or text (CASE SENSITIVE) that it will be replaced with numbers. Example is changing it to Capital A. All capital As will be replaced with the number, raw coded or not.

autofill2kk6.png

After doing so, you'll have a result of this:

autofill3xt7.png

~

Well, the tutorial is done! Very simple isn't it? Well, good luck at your future mapping!

-

This has been brought by yours truly,

Thy FuKiN n0oB

Code:
Update Log
• Gave the full (in my knowledge) use of |r and |n, as stated by [B][I]~GaLs~[/I][/B] ~ 1/21/08
• Added Raw Codes (simple for now) ~ 1/21/08
• Added Summon spell Raw Codes ~ 1/21/08
• Added Auto-Fill (Thanks to [B][I]~GaLs~[/I][/B] for stating what it does to tooltips, give her some rep, not me) ~ 1/21/08
• Fixed some wrong points (Thanks to [I][B]Terrabull[/B][/I] ~ 1/22/08
• Fixed a really retarded wrong point. I should get a -rep ~ 1/22/08

denmax

Reaction score
Firstly, it's flipped o_O (Blizzard should be top, Brilliance Aura should be bottom)

A very long space takes so much time and only is a limit (in my knowledge) to only 1 space, unlike |n which can be repeated as many and will space with the same value..

NullCurrent

( ゚ε ゚)
Reaction score
Simple, helpful, and to the point! Awesome screen-shots! Good job, I will probably relate back to this many times.
Thanks for the good work.

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
ehh i dont really need this kinds tutorial, but i just like to look at them.
So far its an ok tutorial, more for the newbies really.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
Teach people about what |r and |n stands for.

|r
It is like a fullstop for a color code.

|n
Acts as line break in object editor. (\n in trigger editor)

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Really nice tutorial! :D

Maybe you should go more in-depth with RawCodes, for example, stats of Summons (Feral Spirit, Water Elemental, etc.).

denmax

Reaction score
Teach people about what |r and |n stands for.

|r
It is like a fullstop for a color code.

|n
Acts as line break in object editor. (\n in trigger editor)

I said what it simply does, which I would not interpret what it fully does. There are still some codes (I think, like the raw codes?) which maybe not that essential, so I just gave a short meaning of what |r and |n states (i didn't know \n works =P) But if you want to, then fine I will ^_^ (EDIT: but I dun see the difference between you and my saying o_O)

Maybe I'll put the rawcodes o_O.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Maybe I'll put the rawcodes
You should.
And also mention about the Auto Fill Levels option, can save lots of time.

The screenshots are great, but those borders are hardly visible, especially the blue ones. Maybe increase their width or use some color that provides more contrast to the background?

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
>>%d = This gets the integer level of a current skill + 1, which is used in Tooltip
False, only 1 letter. "%" will do.
Ex - Learn SkillA - Level %

>>Not "like".
You like to catch small errors in my sentence.
I repeat myself again, English is not my first languange and I may have alot spelling error when you forces me to write it out.
I hate your manners.

>>Both |n and \n work for trigger editor.
If I'm not mistaken, it is either one. Didn't re-test it thought.

denmax

Reaction score
> Maybe I'll put the rawcodes
You should.
And also mention about the Auto Fill Levels option, can save lots of time.

The screenshots are great, but those borders are hardly visible, especially the blue ones. Maybe increase their width or use some color that provides more contrast to the background?

Added the raw codes thing.

About the Auto Fill Levels, isn't that already for the skill, not the tooltips?

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
>>Added the raw codes thing.
Probably a nice thing to say with, if I'm not mistaken that the "AhcH" (rawcode) is not require. The only thing that require is the "DataA1" (Data). Hope, I didn't mistaken it.

>>About the Auto Fill Levels, isn't that already for the skill, not the tooltips?
Yes!
If I had a spell that has 100 level, I'm gonna change the tooltip (value) one by one?
NO!
By using AutoFill will do what I need in 2 sec.

denmax

Reaction score
>>Added the raw codes thing.
Probably a nice thing to say with, if I'm not mistaken that the "AhcH" (rawcode) is not require. The only thing that require is the "DataA1" (Data). Hope, I didn't mistaken it.

>>About the Auto Fill Levels, isn't that already for the skill, not the tooltips?
Yes!
If I had a spell that has 100 level, I'm gonna change the tooltip (value) one by one?
NO!
By using AutoFill will do what I need in 2 sec.

Okay firstly, do not exaggerate like that to n00bs =.=/ It looks like you're insulting my stupidity, which I am not offended but some may do. Yes, I am stupid, but saying that to some people will let them care what you say o_O (for a reason that I dun' know)

Secondly, I did not know you can Auto Fill tooltips, which now makes me more stupid than usual.

Thirdly,.. Well, there's no thirdly but you get the point right?

~You have changed alot since the classroom of Purge&Fire ^_^, now more mature and sarcasm =P~

EDIT: Damn, must spread rep first T_T

~

Yours Truly,

Thy FuKiN n0oB

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
>>Okay firstly, do not exaggerate like that to n00bs =.=/ It looks like you're insulting my stupidity, which I am not offended but some may do. Yes, I am stupid, but saying that to some people will let them care what you say o_O (for a reason that I dun' know)
Sorry to offended you. :(

>>Secondly, I did not know you can Auto Fill tooltips, which now makes me more stupid than usual.
If you did mapping alot, you would find out that most of the Data, Tooltip can be auto filled.

>>~You have changed alot since the classroom of Purge&Fire ^_^, now more mature and sarcasm =P~
I might apologise for that, sorry.

Edit -
You just explained about string auto fill, explain more. (Data auto fill)

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
In the "Raw Data" section, you said that only built-in abilites can use them. That is not true. You can use Raw Data values for custom abilites. To do that, you need to change the ability code (the letters and numbers on the left side of the comma) to the ability code of the custom ability.

For example, I have a custom ability that has an ability code of A006 so my tooltip looks like.
Does <A006,DataA1> damage to the unit for <A006,DataB1> seconds.

Edit: nice tutorial, wish it had been around before I had to figure out all this stuff on my own. ;-)

Quauhtli

I have the right to remain silent.
Reaction score
EDIT:
Found out what it was now :p

Anyhoo it's a nice tutorial, although it didn't teach me anything it would probably do that to others :)

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
mindmg1 = Minimum Damage of a unit
maxdmg1 = Maximum Damage of a unit
realHP = Total Base Hit Points (HP) of a unit

The number on the right of mindmg and maxdmg must always, and ALWAYS be 1.

One comment, and a couple questions about this section. First them always having to be 1 is not true. If you put 2 after it, it will look at the second attack of the unit (if it doesn't have one, it will be zero).

EDIT: Moved my question to a thread ABOUT that question.

denmax

Reaction score
In the "Raw Data" section, you said that only built-in abilites can use them. That is not true. You can use Raw Data values for custom abilites. To do that, you need to change the ability code (the letters and numbers on the left side of the comma) to the ability code of the custom ability.

For example, I have a custom ability that has an ability code of A006 so my tooltip looks like.
Does <A006,DataA1> damage to the unit for <A006,DataB1> seconds.

Edit: nice tutorial, wish it had been around before I had to figure out all this stuff on my own. ;-)

I'm so forgetful T_T.. VERY forgetful! I know the raw codes in the left side but I can't even remember to remember =O

One comment, and a couple questions about this section. First them always having to be 1 is not true. If you put 2 after it, it will look at the second attack of the unit (if it doesn't have one, it will be zero).

EDIT: Moved my question to a thread ABOUT that question.

That I did not know, I should thank you! +rep!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.