Tower Defence (tower placement)

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
Hello,

How do I make the map that players can't build towers in way of the path?
I cannot create 'path blockers' because the creeps must also walk there

Any suggestions?

MissKerrigan

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Go into the terrain editor and open the pathing layer(Hotkey: H). Choose the Painted Pathing brush and pick "Add Pathing" with the "No Building" type. Paint it where you want to prevent building.

Siretu

Reaction score
Are you sure? How are you making the buildings? With a create unit effect ability or with a build ability? Is there a reason you're not making the towers as buildings?

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
I make towers with a 'build ability' which just put the units in the field, but the units are still units and not buildings

Maybe I have to modify unit-attributes to 'structure' then?

Siretu

Reaction score
Have you even tried adding the "No building" pathing? I am quite sure it will work anyway. I think the pathing blocks you from using the build ability on that area without checking if the built unit is actually a structure.

Try out what I told you in my first post and see if it works.

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
lol I never noticed there was a layer which is called 'Pathing' ! haha

Yes I tried the 'no building pathing' but my towers still can be build on the path
I guess it's because the towers I make are actually units and have to define to 'buildings' somewhere

But I already solved the problem like I said before, I changed all waves to 'air type' and made just 'ground blockers' with the doodad tool

Anyway, is there also a trigger which send the creeps to this path which is made by the 'pathing build'?
If so, I prefer to do this instead of 120 regions :) :) (30 regions every player)

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Can't you just use a trigger to issue and order to the creeps when they're created to move to the final point. If you have placed your blockers correctly, there should only be one path for the unit to take and thus move along the correct path. Or am I missing something?

Siretu

Reaction score
If she places blockers, she'll have to place them all over the path. This means that there will be no room for the creeps to walk. So instead of there being only one path, there will be no path(the creeps will probably be pushed to the closest points with available pathing).

Try giving the unit the Structure attribute (in the unit's Unit: attributes field). You might also want to make sure that your buildings have a proper footprint, I can't remember the specific field but it's in the unit somewhere so you can search for it in the search bar.

If that doesn't work, I think it would be best to use pathing blockers on the entire path but make sure that the creeps don't collide with it. This is done with some collision field on the unit. I'll try to get back to you on the specifics later if you haven't figured it out and no one has given you more details on how to do it.

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
I said I already figured it out :) I set the creeps to mover: 'fly' and select the 'flying' value in the flags

To Dave: if I use blockers arround the path, there are 2 things which gives problems then:

1. the creeps can't pass each other when a slow effect is used on a creep
2. the creeps are making wrong turnes at the corners (instead of using regions

the creeps must walk exactly in the middle of every tile to make the range of the towers as correct as possible

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
by the way, is there anyone who knows if there is some 'path priority'?

what I mean is that the towers FIRST try to stop the creeps which are 'far' on the path
I got diffirent towers in my tower defense

protoss towers shoot strong to: zerg
zerg towers shoot strong to: protoss
terran towers shoot strong to: terran

Is there a way to program the towers to fire their weak race?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.