Two Networks, one PC

Affliction

Reaction score
Tuesday technicians come to set up a second DSL line in my home. One is the home's line, one is the line I'm paying for 'cause I want it.

Is there any way I can connect to two networks (A combination of wireless and ethernet. Two ethernet. Ethernet merging dongle. Anything.) to a single tower, and use both networks at once? Perhaps designate which programs use which line?

if the computer that your connecting to has 2 different adapters (each with their own mac address), then yes, it would switch from one to the other instantly to prevent a connection loss, and I would imagine there are some programs to let you prioritize who gets which adapter

Windows will automatically allocate 1 network for your usage and 1 as backup. You can use proxy settings to surf the net using another line.

That's more along the lines of what I'm wanting, King.

With two 1.5MB DSL lines in the house, I want to bring them together in some fashion and use as much as I can of both lines. Say one line for gaming and the other line for browsing / torrenting.

well ideally you would just have a separate computer for the torrenting, because really any old computer can do that, you could even set it up to save them on a different computer

Was just an example, really.

Is there no way to use both connections? Say one wireless one ethernet, or two Ethernet?

Two computers, two routers.

One computer is meant to use one connection, and the other computer is meant to use both.

If this is possible.

Two ethernet: Yes, if you have two ethernet ports on your tower (i.e. two network adaptors... you could always by another one for $40 or so).

One wireless, one ethernet: Yes, as wireless network adaptors have a different MAC address to the wired adaptor (in all cases I've seen).

Only tricky thing is going to be the software that controls your network. I'm sure there's a third party program of some sort available that will handle this all automatically, or you can do as King suggested and use proxy settings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is weird seeing a way more realistic users online number
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Tuesday Night!
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.