[US News] Ohio school suspends boy over Mohawk

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
PARMA, Ohio - A kindergarten student with a freshly spiked Mohawk has been suspended from school.

Michelle Barile, the mother of 6-year-old Bryan Ruda, said nothing in the Parma Community School handbook prohibits the haircut, characterized by closely shaved sides with a strip of prominent hair on top. The school said the hair was a distraction for other students.

"I understand they have a dress code. I understand he has a uniform. But this is total discrimination," she said. "They can't tell me how I can cut his hair."

Read more of the story here.

Matemeo

Reaction score
Discriminating against hair is pretty weak. I bet they could sue for it, if it wasn't covered in the Student rules.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh no!
Ohio School board is in trouble, when the lawyers get on this ;)

Run School Board administrators, Run!

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
My school doesn't allow mohawks either (they've suspended a few) nor anything below a number 2 cut, but for other 'better' reasons.

ShadowTek

Reaction score
I used to have "spiked" hair when I was in school. It was like a mohawk, but I left the side hair and just gelled it back.

I would use so much gel on my hair, that you could set a book on top, and the spikes would stand. Defiant, just like I was. lol

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
This is a kindergarten student, eh?

They learn so young these days to stick it to the man.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty dumb to ban certain styles, escpecially in high schools.

It's one only times in your life where you get to express yourself.

In the future, you're gonna have to look professional if you want any jobs or anything but in high school you can dress and look the way you want to, and they shouldn't disallow that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.