Vista problems (sigh)

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Alright, I’m not the best with computers, but I do have a general knowledge of them. I have two problems that I’d like to talk with you guys about.

For the past year or so, my computer has recently been randomly restarting.

This is usually how it works:

1- My computer makes a weird noise, and it sounds like air is coming out of the tower, and that it’s also making noises with its hardware or something at the same time.
2- It then restarts and gives you the option of running in safe mode.
3- After using the computer for an hour, it then does it again back at step 1.

My second problem is this:

Sometimes my computer stays on, but the monitor just doesn’t want to display. It says there’s no connection between the tower and the monitor or something, and that’s random too. (It happens from time-to-time)

Finally, I’ve also gotten the blue screen of death about 1 or two times of having this computer for about 3-4 years now.

Any help is appreciated, +rep as well!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
honestly it doesn't sound like a vista problem, more like a hardware problem, which could be caused by pretty much anything(although im leaning towards a graphics or PSU problem).. have those BSOD's given you any information? can you use something like speedfan or occt and post your temps? (both while idle and while stressed)?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
What programs do you have running after about one hour? Any virus protection etc...?

You could have a RAM module thats gone corrupt, that might cause the BSOD/restarting.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
When did this problems first occur?
Did you change anything at that point? Like add new hardware. A graphics card, for example?

If yes, your new hardware might not be getting enough power from the PSU and you will need to replace that with a more powerful one.

If not, maybe your computer is getting old. You might need to replace a damaged hardware.
However I recommend that you start with wiping your hard drive and re-install Vista, just to see if it runs better.

You should also try to open your computer and make sure all contacts are properly in place, and maybe get some dust out of it.
You might want to tie up the contacts so they don't prevent the airflow.

Finally I suggest you check the heat of your computer.
Easiest thing to do is to put your hand behind your computer, where the graphics card and the PSU blows out warm air.
If you burn your hand on the air, it's way too hot. -If not you're probably doing all right.

You should also try downloading EVEREST and check some temperatures.
There's a free trial download available here:

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=UE&lang=en&page=10

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
When did this problems first occur?
Did you change anything at that point? Like add new hardware. A graphics card, for example?

If yes, your new hardware might not be getting enough power from the PSU and you will need to replace that with a more powerful one.

If not, maybe your computer is getting old. You might need to replace a damaged hardware.
However I recommend that you start with wiping your hard drive and re-install Vista, just to see if it runs better.

You should also try to open your computer and make sure all contacts are properly in place, and maybe get some dust out of it.
You might want to tie up the contacts so they don't prevent the airflow.

Finally I suggest you check the heat of your computer.
Easiest thing to do is to put your hand behind your computer, where the graphics card and the PSU blows out warm air.
If you burn your hand on the air, it's way too hot. -If not you're probably doing all right.

You should also try downloading EVEREST and check some temperatures.
There's a free trial download available here:

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=UE&lang=en&page=10

I think you’ve nailed it. All of what you said seemed to be the problem. I turned my comp off for a while, dusted it off with “Dist off”, and had a graphic’s card replacement not too long ago (although it did happen before that too). But, regardless, it’s working again! Thanks for you help. +rep at some other time, really busy atm (sorry)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.