General Why Toys R Us is rising from the ashes

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
toys-r-us.jpg

Toys R Us has some new owners that may not be so crazy to ponder opening up physical toy stores once again.

Brand management company WHP Global said Monday it has acquired a controlling interest in Tru Kids, the parent company of the Toys R Us, Babies R Us and Geoffrey the Giraffe brands. WHP Global reportedly plans to open Toys R Us stores ahead of this holiday shopping season.

"Our investment in Toys"R"Us reflects our belief and passion for the brand. We are thrilled to be taking the reins of the world's leading toy brand at a time when the category is up 16% and consumer demand for toys is at an all-time high. This is a natural fit for WHP, as we can leverage our global network and digital platform to help grow Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us around the world," said WHP Global Chairman and CEO Yehuda Shmidman in a statement.

Shmidman has served as Tru Kids vice chairman since 2019.

-----------------------------
This is a fantastic idea! The Toys R Us brand is super valuable and the lack of a decent brick and mortar toy store since they went out of business, imho, has been noticeable. I am very encouraged by this news as I believe if they just get it halfway right it will be a winner. I am such a fan of the retro brands such as Atari, Gamestop and Toys R Us trying to make a comeback in this digital age. There is an opportunity in Blockbuster too I believe but they really screwed it up and apparently whoever owns that is clueless.

Last edited:

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
My initial feeling is that the traditional stores they used to have were huge. There may not be much sense in having something that is as large as a home improvement store these days - maybe something smaller would work better. They will need to figure out what the advantages are of a physical store over online shopping.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
My initial feeling is that the traditional stores they used to have were huge. There may not be much sense in having something that is as large as a home improvement store these days - maybe something smaller would work better. They will need to figure out what the advantages are of a physical store over online shopping.

I hope they can figure it out because the Toys R Us brand is very nostalgic for me. I was a Toys R Us kid you know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.