Worst Question (ever)

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Idk man I'd go with A, as it is the first mentioned.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
True, but depending on the question for the section (Which is the best answer) and the rest of the passage, the answers may change.

As we lack the remainder of the passage, you have to base it off what you see, which makes it A.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Well, obviously it's wrong, since it's B. :p

Also, it's asking why, not how.

Varine

Reaction score
Well, obviously it's wrong, since it's B. :p

Also, it's asking why, not how.

Why may PERIODIC flood(s) happen. It's not referring to a singular flood, just in general. At least, that's how he stated the question here. It's all about the syntax, you can't change it around to fit the answer you want.

esb

Reaction score
Periodic floods are a type of flood. They happen in small areas, and usually flood a few feet. Not as in it floods temporarily.

And I didn't change anything, it's still Why (intense rainfall), not How (naturally).

Varine

Reaction score
The periodic flood occurs naturally, caused by heavy rain and sometimes combined with melting snow. That caused the river to overflow and because the soil and vegetation cannot absorb the water effectively, it floods...

It's not talking about one flood because it also is stating that sometimes it's aided by melting snow, which means that it's a seasonal flood that is expected to come every so often. Had that been left out, the answer would be B, however since it's not then the answer is A because it occurs seasonally and the passage is about why it OCCURS, not why it OCCURED.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
thats excellent english IMO lulz...

really stupid question shouldve ask the teacher what kinda question is that...

esb

Reaction score

Varine

Reaction score
Yay, bold war.

If that were the case the question would be corrupt and without reasonable answer because all of the options may cause a flood. However, the question does not ask what caused any flood specifically, nor does it make reference to it. This would mean that the question is not specific to any singular one of them, but rather what causes them in general. Since all of the offered answers aid in the flooding, then the answer would be A, they occur naturally, because it's the least specific. Perhaps you can explain to me where it refers specifically to any flood?

esb

Reaction score
A periodic flood is pretty specific to me, they even gave a passage (which is not posted). If you can't answer this correctly, you would obviously fail and probably have to study more.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
Woah, 3 pages already =P

I didn't post the whole passage because :
a) The passage had 3 paragraphs IIRC, 1 describing what a flood is (overflow water etc.), 1 telling how flood happens (river overflowing etc.) and the other is about that Periodic Flood and Flash Flood (quick flood)
b) I don't remember the whole passage.

^Well, not answering is bad, at least you pick a logical answer when you answer.
Besides, most of the questions in the test was similar to that type of question (we could understand what it meant, but still, we couldn't easily answer it due to confusing stuffs)

Here's another question in that test which had multiple possible choices :

Test said:
He lives in a . . . castle with his staffs and servants.

a. beautiful
b. luxurious
c. strong
d. huge

When I saw this question, I was like "WTF? ROFL All choices are possibly correct." :p

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Periodic Rainfall may happen because it occurs naturally
Periodic Rainfall may happen because due to heavy rainfall

I'd get letter C....

------

Read the instructions again. If it states "right/encircle the correct answer", then right/encircle the letter of your choice, which is any of those letters in Q2..

But if I were to choose, it'll be letter B. I dun' know why but it completely shows off that the owner of the castle is extremely rich to hire staffs and/or servants.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
lol Yeah, but I chose C.

^Of course we need to choose the correct answer :p

This is what I hate when Indonesians make English tests...
They confuse us more than improving our English.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Is rainfall no longer natural?

lol varine, ofc rainfall is natural but it doesnt just appear from out of nowhere. instead of trying to explain that it doesnt "just happen", ill let wiki do it for me ^^

Rain plays a role in the hydrologic cycle in which moisture from the oceans evaporates, condenses into drops, precipitates (falls) from the sky, and eventually returns to the ocean via rivers and streams to repeat the cycle again. The water vapour from plant respiration also contributes to the moisture in the atmosphere.

Heavy rain and intense rain are different.

well, that really depends on what each individual thinks. i would say that heavy and intense would be similar, with regards to rainfall

and i just cant see how C could be right. if there wasnt sufficient rain, the inability of soi/vegetation to absorb a small amount of extra water wouldnt cause a flood, would it?

also, for q2, all answers suck but id agree with denmax. luxurious seems to imply, more than the others, the owner of the castle has the money to get servants and staff.

This is what I hate when Indonesians make English tests...
They confuse us more than improving our English.

well, would you rather multiple choice questions, or analyzing some of Shakespeare's plays, the characters and everything associated with them (since I'm from Ireland, I'd hate to see what the English get in their English tests if mine are anything to go by ^^)

esb

Reaction score
Yes, luxurious fits most, since it would explain more or less the reason he can get staff and servants, without any other knowledge or weird scenarios people like to make.

As for heavy and intense, I was taught that Heavy was rain, but for a long period of time, while intense, was a lot of rain, more than heavy, and duration may vary.

Varine

Reaction score
He lives in a . . . castle with his staffs and servants.

a. beautiful
b. luxurious
c. strong
d. huge

It's luxurious. The context clue is staff and servents, which would be considered a luxury.

And ignore esb on the first question. He is WRONG! His interpretation of the question's wording isn't founded unless the the passage was refering to a single flood, which, based of the small bit you gave us, was not because it was noting that the flood can be aided by several factors, not that the flood WAS aided by them.

Is this like an SAT/ACT? I know those tests usually try to confuse you with those a lot. Here's a practice question for today, this one's pretty easy.

The following sentence contains either a single error or no error at all. If the sentence contains an error, select the one underlined part that must be changed to make the sentence correct. If the sentence contains no error, select choice E.

Among the earliest (A) telescopes were (B) Galilean telescopes, modeled after the simple instruments built by (C) Galileo, the first person having used (D) telescopes to study the stars and planets. No error (E)

When you get the test back do you recieve the answers to it as well?

esb

Reaction score
Your face is wrong. :p

Well it's obviously B cause they said the answer is B, so that makes you wrong. But you're too stubborn so I will stop arguing with you.

As for your question, D is wrong. It should be "...the first person to have used...". BTW, talk about a run-on sentence...

Varine

Reaction score
I don't care what they said is right, they're wrong. It's A, unless the remainder of the passage clarifies the question. I'm basing it off what the part I had access to said, which makes it A.

esb

Reaction score
You have to understand that no matter what you think is right, it will be wrong to them, and thus cause you to fail.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.