Worst Question (ever)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
You have to understand that no matter what you think is right, it will be wrong to them, and thus cause you to fail.

In which case the rest of the passage would have been included and a one would better be equipped to answer it. I got all the English questions right on the SAT and ACT I think... might have missed a few, I don't remember, so I didn't fail. I did bad on the essays, though, but those are stupid topics anyway. I don't care if libraries have non-academic magazines or if teachers assign books to read.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
What do libraries and magazines or teacher assignments have to do with anything?...

I guess this is one of those that you missed then.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
What's SAT/ACT?

And sorry, that was all I could remember that has connection(s) with that question.

Varine

Reaction score
What do libraries and magazines or teacher assignments have to do with anything?...

I guess this is one of those that you missed then.

I don't know. They were my essay topics though. What do YOU think esb? Some students feel that non-academic magazines promote reading if the student has an interest in topics that are covered by the magazine, but others feel that they demote academic progress. Do you think that school libraries should subscribe to only academic reading materials? Formulate a position for or against this, or take a different stance.

And no, because he said there was more to the passage that he didn't remember so the part that he did remember wasn't enough to allow anyone to choose a reasonable answer. So it's all just a series of guesses because, as I said, the part that we had didn't speak of any specific floods, it just described them in general which made all of them right, regardless of what you think it says.

What's SAT/ACT?

SAT is Scholastic Assessment Test and ACT is the American College Test. They're just aptitude tests that a lot of colleges in the US want you to take. The SAT has four sections and you can get 2400 points on it, and the ACT I forget how many sections (Four plus writing I think), and the top score is 36. I think if you get over 1600 on the SAT, then you can get into pretty good colleges, and the ACT it's 27. You can take the essay portion of it, and they just give some stupid topic and ask you to write something about it. Mine were about the library magazines and teachers assigning reading materials. I think it's mostly so that everyone can relate to it, but they're such boring topics.... I thought they were pretty easy, I didn't study for them nor did I remember that when they were (my dad came in and woke my up both times and said I had to get to the school in half an hour) and I did pretty good on them. I didn't finish the math sections because I couldn't figure out how to use the calculator I borrowed, though, so I had to do everything by hand. I didn't finish like the last five or so on either of them.
Some colleges give you credits for basic 1xx classes if you do really good in some sections, I think. I took a bunch of AP exams, though, so I'm not sure if I got the credit from those or the SAT/ACT.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
lol at varine/esb, arguing over a silly english question.

And ignore esb on the first question. He is WRONG! His interpretation of the question's wording isn't founded unless the the passage was refering to a single flood, which, based of the small bit you gave us, was not because it was noting that the flood can be aided by several factors, not that the flood WAS aided by them.

isn't there a rule regarding statements such as that?

anyway varine, considering that your opinion (based on my interpretation of it) is that the floods appear out of absolutely nowhere (imo, occurs naturally would imply POOF, have some water out of nowhere).

(esb said this i thinkz)
It's obvious it happens naturally, except those times humans cause them /sarcasm. But why exactly?

that would be my idea of what the question is asking, and "it just occurs naturally(, theres no reason to it)" doesnt explain WHY a flood may happen. most things dont just happen naturally (floods may be result of natural forces but it doesnt "just happen" from out of the blue.

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Erh, isn't rain also natural, stating that A and B are the same only A does not have any reason why it will occur naturally? Well, I'd go with B (I was wrong in previous post)..

Also, B is related to "Cause and Effect"..

Arguing will not fix anything, what is right to a point of view to a person is right for them.. No one gives a damn if they get wrong and so that how people get smart, knowing the wrongs and admitting it.

Anyway, when are the frekin' answers coming dark?

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
The best answer is "C"..

Reason:

A. It occurs naturally - it will not occur if trees and vegetations are on the way
B. Due to intense rainfall - see "A"
C. Because soil and vegetation cannot absorb the water effectively - This is true because flood can be prevented by trees and vegetations.
D. Because of the combination of heavy rain and melting snow - When there is snow, there is no rain since snow is frozen rain..

esb

Reaction score
Well, if there's no intense rainfall, then what water will the trees NOT absorb? I see what you mean though, that the water can't soak in, but sometimes, it's that the trees can't absorb fast enough.

Varine

Reaction score
Yeah, but B, C, and D are all plausable answers accroding to that part of the passage. Since it doesn't state on as a specific cause of the flood at hand, then the question would be flawed and I would go complain about it. But if complaining wasn't an option, A would be the best answer because it's the 'all of the below are/can be correct' kind of statement. Unless they're changing how they do the tests now.

darkRae

Reaction score
Okay, don't mind that question too much, it's just plain confusing :p

I got another English Test this morning (I participated in a Competition :p)
And here's another question I couldn't answer :

It's about a Birthday invitation, then there were a few questions.

Test said:
k35a84.jpg

"Kindly Respond...RSVP # Here."
What does RSVP mean?
a. We must not be late.
b. We may come with a friend.
c. We must confirm our arrival.
d. We must bring a birthday present.

I couldn't answer that one because I don't know what RSVP means.
I've never heard of it, not once.
(though, I randomly answered C :p)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> I randomly answered C
You probably got it right, as RSVP means something like "please respond". However, it's a French acronym, no idea what it was doing in an English test.

darkRae

Reaction score
> You probably got it right

Glad to hear it :)

> it's a French acronym

English Tests are getting more and more confusing <_<
And, are you French?

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This is what wiki says:

"Répondez s'il vous plaît", a French phrase that translates to "Please respond". It is with this meaning that invitation cards and similar documents are often marked with "R.S.V.P.".

Anyways A and D are plain unlogic to write on an invitation, B is a possibility however. But since it means 'please respond' you chose well I think :D

Varine

Reaction score
> it's a French acronym

English Tests are getting more and more confusing <_<
And, are you French?

In my AP Exam for English we were expected to know a lot of French terms. The rhetorical essay I was supposed to be examing and answering questions about had a bunch of French words.

darkRae

Reaction score
Guess what, the first test's score has been posted, and the answers were told.

And the answer to that 1st Question is...

...D.heavy rain + melting snow (I was like, "WTF?")

And the 2nd Question is...

..A.beautiful :)banghead:)

It's just unfair, the castle can be beautiful/luxurious/strong/huge, they all make sense :rolleyes:

Anyway, I got 83, the 8th best score in my school :p

esb

Reaction score
You know what... for once I'll agree with Varine.

That test was just plain stupid.

Varine

Reaction score
Guess what, the first test's score has been posted, and the answers were told.

And the answer to that 1st Question is...

...D.heavy rain + melting snow (I was like, "WTF?")

And the 2nd Question is...

..A.beautiful :)banghead:)

It's just unfair, the castle can be beautiful/luxurious/strong/huge, they all make sense :rolleyes:

Anyway, I got 83, the 8th best score in my school :p

If possible, would you mind posting the actual questions rather than just your recollection of them? If you got those parts back, anyway.

Oh, and if the second question was stated how you posted, send it back and tell them that they're context clue was not sufficient to come to the conclusion of answer A, because from your question it wasn't.

darkRae

Reaction score
Fortunately, the question sheet was given today :)

Here, I scanned them (big pictures)
Oh, and there's a 3rd question I'm confused of.
The circled letters were the 'correct' answers, according to the maker.

Unfortunately, I cannot go and sue or protest, since the question maker(s) is probably some teacher's association or something, I don't know who or where they are.
That was an English try-out test, you see, we Indonesians are facing a great exam :)

Attachments

• Question 1.JPG
    Question 1.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Question 2.jpg
    Question 2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Question 3.jpg
    Question 3.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 243
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.