News Taste test: Does hot cocoa taste better from an orange cup?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always heard that smell plays an important role in how food tastes. I didn't expect that color could also sway the taste buds. A study published in the Journal of Sensory Studies found that the color of a cup can influence the way people taste hot chocolate.

Betina Piqueras-Fiszman, a researcher at the Polytechnic University of Valencia in Spain, and Charles Spence, a professor at the University of Oxford in England, subjected 57 participants to what may be one the tastiest science experiments ever.

The participants tasted samples of hot chocolate served in four different colors of plastic cups: white, cream, red, and orange. The sippers preferred the flavor of the beverage in orange or cream-colored cups.

So why did orange and cream set themselves apart from white and red? It's a bit mysterious, but it definitely involves the way the brain processes visual information and allows it to influence our sense of taste.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
No. I hate orange. I don't go to Whataburger because there is so much fucking orange, it pisses me off.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
So Spain can afford research on hot chocolate. But not pay their huge depths??

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score

Spain has a smaller debt per person than the U.S., France, and Germany - also smaller relative to it's GDP - so why are you knocking on Spain?

Varine

Reaction score
I can afford a ten thousand dollar car but can't pay down my 1200 dollar credit card.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
So Spain can afford research on hot chocolate. But not pay their huge debts??
So people in the USA can use the internet although the country is in huge debt?
So people in greek can afford food but not pay their debt?

iPeez

Reaction score
I dont knock anyone but myself at times. I just read in thenews paper that Spain was soon in a dept state like the Greeks. I may be wrong.

Account Name@ - I gave up on the US long ago.
And hey there is a big difference from food to hot chocolate. The greek NEEDS food. Who does not? The US may NEED the internet.. But hey... The US.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont knock anyone but myself at times. I just read in thenews paper that Spain was soon in a dept state like the Greeks. I may be wrong.

Account Name@ - I gave up on the US long ago
Even if it was it doesnt mean they will immediately dismantle all their universities and science labs. Its not like a game where you quickly turn of production facilities to keep your balance up.

iPeez

Reaction score
HOW DO YOU KNOW I BASE MY ECONOMICAL DISCUSSIONS OFF MY ANNO 2070 PLAYS??!

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
I probly missed the thread where this was discussed, but your new wizard isn't as cool, Accname.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
How's the game coming along? You makin' some solid progress, or kinda at a bit of a standstill?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
How's the game coming along? You makin' some solid progress, or kinda at a bit of a standstill?
The game from which the sprites are is actually quite old. I am not working on that anymore.
It was just a funny little project i did.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Aww, there's a shame. Did you finish it, at least? If you're anything like me, the answer's gonna be 'no.' I can never seem to finish my shit when it comes to anything like that.

And oh, the article is kinda cool and definitely makes sense. There's no denying that the appearance of your food affects how it tastes, so the color of the cup affecting the flavor of its contents stands to reason. Dunno why orange would make it taste better, but then again, I didn't bother reading the article, so maybe they tell you. Who knows?

Varine

Reaction score
Orange is a terrible color and should be avoided at all costs.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Fires make it work... although I've always been partial to green fire over the rest, regular is still good.

Varine

Reaction score
Yeah? Last I checked there's a reason every city has a department dedicated to putting fires out.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Aww, there's a shame. Did you finish it, at least? If you're anything like me, the answer's gonna be 'no.' I can never seem to finish my shit when it comes to anything like that.
It was just a side project to begin with, i never really had the intention to finish it. But i have been keeping everything and maybe at some day i will work on an actual polished version.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.