Mapping Contest! Details Inside!

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
so basically we make a TD map, or something completely new? well since thre isn't really anything left to do then we have to make TDs, that sounds kinda restricting doesn't it?

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
AgentPaper said:
so basically we make a TD map, or something completely new? well since thre isn't really anything left to do then we have to make TDs, that sounds kinda restricting doesn't it?
Y dont you make a game youve never seen done b4?

Rad

Reaction score
Sargon said:
Umm...you didn't get what he said. He said that your requirements basically force it to be a TD, or a very very TDesque map.

Actually I was just thinking about it, ever played Heroes and Empires? You have towers, attacking units (Kalenden), lives (Heroes), and win/lose condition (Empire/hero fallen or defeat kalenden). So maybe its not 100% forced but still pretty much lies in TD format. Not to say YOU were wrong, Im also proving myself wrong. Hmm I hope Im not sounding like an asshole quoting you to prove myself wrong though, sorry for any offense :rolleyes:

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
lol that was kinda, random, ut yes I guess it does have all of those, but only towers for empires, and only lives for heros, not for all players, if you want to get technical, lol. anyway I'm ignoreing those requirements altogether for my map, and I reccomend getting rid of those requirements, jindo, they seem kinda out of place in a mapping contest, makes it into a TD contest...(lots of people have been saying this, why hasn't jindo fixed it or at least responded to it?)

and mase, you can't make something really new and original, after all this time of mapping people have done every single idea at least once, whether or not it was good.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Lol click a creep, is that like wack a mole?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
click a creep's a good idea.

Although you're only map idea so far is a TD, use the idea of a TD and maybe it will bring you closer to a new idea all together.

I'd started working on a simple map which included all the stuff, i guess i dont need it now.

Good luck everyone, you have until December the 20th so you got a long while :). (it doesnt have to be complicated enough to take until next easter!)

~Jindo

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
hey guys, not to take away from this contest but the Blizzard Maps and Mods site announced that they were going to be holding a mapping contest soon too, so you might be able to use these maps for that compitition too.

Blizzard Maps&Mods Site

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Ya there is a whole thread about it: BNet Mods :p

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
how long have you been workin on it?
You also need these reqs:
Code:
Towers
attacking units
lives
winning and losing system

or a new map which has never been done before!

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Oh well now i have a reason to finish my td b4 i planned. :D

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
mase said:
how long have you been workin on it?
You also need these reqs:
Code:
Towers
attacking units
lives
winning and losing system

or a new map which has never been done before!
so if i meet the last requiment i dont have to have the others?
Edit:
mase said:
Well thats all you have too say this map has never been done ever in warcraft 3 Roc and TFT

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Yea...

P

PandarenLord

I have to say that this is most definetly not limited to Tower Defense maps. An example is a map named Shadows Eternal by Sheepa... (a good mapmaker) It is a wilderness survival, but, it is possible to build towers, there are attacking units (the creeps, other players, and demons that enter the game at a certain point), you have lives, and you win if you are one of the two remaining people alive and lose if you run out of lives. Just trying to point out that it would be possible to create many different kinds of maps, not just limited to TDs. Another example would be an AoS where you can hire a builder that builds towers, or there is an upgrading and building system, where you have lives, so when you're main building is destroyed, you lose a life, where there are attacking units (the other team) and there are winning conditions, you win if you destroy the enemy's base, you lose if you're base is destroyed! Simply trying to show that these rules do not require you to create a map within a very strict set of rules, but they allow you to - if you are being creative - to create a new and interesting map.

~PandarenLord

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
PandarenLord is right :).

That other contest sounds fun, atleast its official :D (i think).

You mis understood the rules mase and uareanoob, but maybe we should allow that seeing as people find it very limited.

Make a type of mapthat's been done before that matches the requirements, or make a new map thats never been done before and forget the requirements.

Those who choose to make a new type of map just have to think of new ideas now :).

Good luck all :)!

~Jindo

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Yeah, even if there are a few types other than TD you can make, it is still very limiting, and doesn't allow for the original maps you also specified. The map I'm making has towers, and attacking units, but not lives or a win/lose system other than dieing or killing everything, and I don't plan to add either one even if it disqualifies me.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
It isnt new, its based off heros and empires and genesis of empires.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.