(12) A Kingdom of Apocalypse - Hosted Project at GameModding.org

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
I'm lazy, so I just copy-pasted from Wc3c.

A Kingdom of Apocalypse
Since the last thread was a failure, due to me, I pm'ed Dusk to ask if I could create a new thread. Well, obviusly, as you can see, the answer was yes.

As I said in the other thread, I cannot make a preview. At the site where I'm hosted, there's a logo contest going on though, and it's going pretty good.

What? - AoS map genre.
When? - Now, duh.
How? - JASS :)
Who? - Vestras (Me)

New features.
  • New terrain
  • Less forces, now only Human (Elves) and Undead
  • More rationalisation
  • Bigger lanes
  • Special spawning system (more about this later)
  • More items (as Dusk suggested)
  • And the list could go on.

Heroes
The Desert Ranger and Behemoth Rider, which were the two heroes the Griffen and Dusk played, is currently being overwrited by other, more fun and complex hero, so please, for your own sake, don't play those.

Since there's new terrain, new heroes and people didn't think Intro Cinematics were needed, I have quit those.

In version 0.36 there's four new heroes though, that I will explain a little about now.

Hiish Magre, the Time Assasin

Initial spell.
Time Punish
Turns a non-mechanical unit etheral and slows its movement speed by 0.50 percent. In the day, the target is healed. In the night, the target is damaged.

Spell 1.
Time Travel
The Assasin jumps up in the air, and when he has reached a certain point, he disappears, and teleports himself down to the target location. When he lands, he damages all enemies.

Spell 2.
Time Delay
The Assasin teleports himself around in an AoE. He will not damage them, but he will attack all nearby enemies. Between each teleport there is a minor delay.

Spell 3.
Persistance Aura
Increases the movement speed and attack speed of the Assasin.

Level 1 - 0.10 movement, 0.10 attack.
Level 2 - 0.15 movement, 0.15 attack.
Level 3 - 0.20 movement, 0.20 attack.
Level 4 - 0.25 movement, 0.25 attack.
Level 5 - 0.30 movement, 0.30 attack.

Ultimate spell.
Apocalypse Dance
The Assasin runs around in a circle, damaging all nearby enemies. Sometimes, the Human Assasin runs into the center of the circle, slashing a random nearby enemy.

----

Ciirs Sabletooth, the Blood Guardian

Initial spell.
Blood Fountain
Ciirs sprays the target area with blood, and every unit inside the area is damaged. If the units that were sprayed with blood dies within a time of 20 seconds, they explode, dealing damage to all units.

Spell 1.
Blood Aura
When a unit in a range of 900 around Ciirs die, the corpse of the dying unit explode, dealing damage to all units nearby it. Deals 30 times the level of this skill in damage.

Spell 2.
Blood Enhancement
Gives nearby friendly units bonus to attack damage and defense. If a non-hero unit dies with the buff, it will corpse explode and deal damage to enemies and allies.

Spell 3.
Blood Strike
Ciirs creates a fireball, which has corpses in it. The fireball travels over the landscape, and when it hits a unit, enemy or ally, it knockbacks that unit, damaging it, gives a minor explosion and dies. When the fireball die, it gives an explosion to damage all enemies and allies.

Ultimate spell.
Turns all friendly units invulnerable in an area around Ciirs. If Ciirs moves, the invulnerable status is destroyed. Ciirs does not turn invulnerable.

----

Ram'Tar Ismar, the Universe Magician
Unfinished hero.

Initial spell.
None
None

Spell 1.
Meteor Strike
The Universe Magician shoots out a flaming, bouncing ball from a random point near him. The ball bounces towards the ground, and when it explodes, all enemies near the ball are damaged. All enemy units that gets inside the ball, is damaged. How much bounce is depending on the height of the ground the Universe Magician is standing on. The speed of the flaming ball increases every time this spell is casted.

Spell 2.
None
None

Spell 3.
None
None

Ultimate spell.
Universal Apocalypse
The Universe Magician channels for 7 seconds, and in the time where he channels, flaming balls rain down over an AoE. The first flaming balls doesn't hit the ground and doesn't explode, but the later ones explodes into smaller balls which explodes on the ground, which damages all enemies in the AoE.

----

Inti Satsuke, the Hakataki Ninja

Initial spell.
Phoenix Strike
Itsi Satsuke jumps to the target location, and when he jumps he sets fire to his blade. When he lands, he slams the sword into the ground, and an explosion occur.

Spell 1.
Hakataki Strike
Inti Satsuke slams his sword into the ground, creating an earthshake, dealing 30 times the level of this ability in damage to all nearby enemies. (Looks alooooooot better ingame :emote_grin: )

Spell 2.
Stealth Strike
Inti Satsuke goes into stealth, and runs extremely fast towards the target. When he arrives, he slashes the unit, damaging it.

Spell 3.
Swift Strike
Inti Satsuke runs in zig-zag to the target location, and slashes every enemy unit that gets nearby him with a deadly strike, dealing damage.

Ultimate spell.
Fist of Hakataki
Itsi Satsuke has been in the Hakataki clan for 20 years, and has learned to master the Fist of Hakataki. Everytime Itsi attacks, he has a chance to deal much more damage than his normal damage, and if he doesn't, the chance stacks.

I am always open for hero ideas, as long as they follow the map's balance.

The Special Spawning System

Actually, the SSS (Special Spawning System) isn't that complex. What it does, is that it, every two spawns, creates special units. This makes the map, in my opinion, more exciting. There will be spawned one extra special melee unit, and one extra special range unit. This makes 6 units spawn.

Items

I tried to make the items as balanced as I could, but there is of course always room for more balance. If you think one items is just waaay to imbalanced, please tell me.

I am always open for item ideas, as long as they follow the map's balance.

More rationalisation

As Dusk (and maybe Griffen too, can't remember) said in the other thread, the lanes were too small, and the creeps clumped together. This aren't happening in the new version, because the lanes about five times as big.

Now, if you wanted to change lane in the earlier versions, you had to walk all the way back to your base and start from there. That's a no-go in the new version.

Now there's Way Gates, and alooot of escape paths you can take to get back to another base.

I suggest you to pick the middle lane if you want action, since that is the lane with a Way Gate, so that the creeps fast gets there. Else, there's the other lanes :)

Download
Epicwar Download: AKoA_0.37(p)
I attached the map to the post.

Screenshots
I will attach screenshots later.

Bugs or comments?
You can report bugs or comments, of course here, or at GameModding.org.
Thank you.

I hope you enjoy playing the map.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Just tried it in single-player to see what it was like.

First, who made the heroes? I recognise a number of those spells (some from DrainPipe's hero test map, forget where I've seen the others)

Some things I noticed
1) The arrows from the Desert Ranger's circle of arrows spell (I forget the name) last an unusually long time :\ Is that intended?

2) If you use the Elementalist's third spell (I think it's called Elemental Fury) with the Elementalist at the centre of the AoE, and stop casting, explosion effects will spawn at his position for about 5 seconds (again, is that intended?). I have a screenshot if you want confirmation :p

3) Decided to try out Behemoth Rider for fun, and his Void Lightning is a teamkiller (started blowing up my base for fun :p). Hopefully, if the Void Lightning ability remains in the remade hero, you should fix that (or at least say it in tooltip)

4) Terrain looks like an AoM clone :p

5) Some ability icons aren't correctly order in the Learn Hero Skills section. When I get level 5 of certain abilities, another ability jumps into the position of the one that wasn't available for learning anymore

6) The fire hero's first spell (again, I don't know the name) has the projectile facing backwards as it flies, and it looks terrible as a result IMO.

7) Blood hero's ultimate is boring, and not what you'd call complex :p

8) Blood Strike is a fireball... that doesn't really make sense (yes' I know there is a giant blood explosion but that's not the point)

9) Not sure of which hero (it was Universal Apocalypse spell, or fire hero's ultimate), but the fireballs were facing horizontally when falling (would be much nicer if they faced downwards)

more fun and complex hero
Why does it need to be more complex? People will just fail to understand how a spell works in that case, making it not very fun to play.

How? - JASS
But who's JASS? (read 'First, ...')

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
UGH! Your ability names!

Time Punish
Time Travel
Time Delay

Blood Fountain
Blood Aura
Blood Enhancement
Blood Strike

Phoenix Strike
Hakataki Strike
Stealth Strike
Swift Strike

Please don't do that.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
UGH! Your ability names!

Time Punish
Time Travel
Time Delay

Blood Fountain
Blood Aura
Blood Enhancement
Blood Strike

Phoenix Strike
Hakataki Strike
Stealth Strike
Swift Strike

Please don't do that.

That's intended ^_^

> First, who made the heroes? I recognise a number of those spells (some from DrainPipe's hero test map, forget where I've seen the others)

I made the most of them, but DrainPipe is in the credits.

> 1) The arrows from the Desert Ranger's circle of arrows spell (I forget the name) last an unusually long time :\ Is that intended?

Yeah, that's intended.

> 2) If you use the Elementalist's third spell (I think it's called Elemental Fury) with the Elementalist at the centre of the AoE, and stop casting, explosion effects will spawn at his position for about 5 seconds (again, is that intended?). I have a screenshot if you want confirmation

Yeah, I would like to see that screenshot.. That's very wierd.

> 3) Decided to try out Behemoth Rider for fun, and his Void Lightning is a teamkiller (started blowing up my base for fun ). Hopefully, if the Void Lightning ability remains in the remade hero, you should fix that (or at least say it in tooltip)

It ain't gonna be there, so... :cool:

> 4) Terrain looks like an AoM clone

Hehe, yeah, that's intended :)

> 5) Some ability icons aren't correctly order in the Learn Hero Skills section. When I get level 5 of certain abilities, another ability jumps into the position of the one that wasn't available for learning anymore

Hmm.. that's strange.. Never saw that.

> 6) The fire hero's first spell (again, I don't know the name) has the projectile facing backwards as it flies, and it looks terrible as a result IMO.

Huh? What spell? I really don't know what you're talking about.

> 7) Blood hero's ultimate is boring, and not what you'd call complex

I think that's a matter of taste. The Blood Guardian is a defensive hero, and that is really a defensive spell. When he is level 23 (max level), and got about 3k life, he is a pretty pwnz00rd hero..

> 8) Blood Strike is a fireball... that doesn't really make sense (yes' I know there is a giant blood explosion but that's not the point)

Yeah, couldn't find any nice blood missle.. If someone would want to make the missle of the Water Elemental into a blood missle, I would be happy :)

> 9) Not sure of which hero (it was Universal Apocalypse spell, or fire hero's ultimate), but the fireballs were facing horizontally when falling (would be much nicer if they faced downwards)

Blizzards fault. It's the fx, I can't change it, unless someone wanna do it.

> more fun and complex hero

> Why does it need to be more complex? People will just fail to understand how a spell works in that case, making it not very fun to play.

Hmm.. Another guy said that.. I think I'm gonna make some simple heroes and put a hint for newbies.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
I just have a few questions...

How long is the average time you spend on making your spells? How many times do you go through the code looking for bugs etc? And how many times do you test the spell before putting it into your map?

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
I just have a few questions...

How long is the average time you spend on making your spells? How many times do you go through the code looking for bugs etc? And how many times do you test the spell before putting it into your map?

> How long is the average time you spend on making your spells?

For the simple ones, about a hour. For the "complex", sometimes three hours.

> How many times do you go through the code looking for bugs etc?

About 10 times.

> And how many times do you test the spell before putting it into your map?

The same, about 12 times.

Why?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Bah, had to re-take the screenshots (was trying to take them with Xfire, but I never realised Xfire wasn't started :p)

Weird explosion with Red Death.
wtf1ll8.jpg

Universal Magician's Fireball facing same direction with every cast (wasn't the fire hero after all)
wtf3pe1.jpg

To fix Universal Apocalypse's fireball facing problem, just change the Art - Maximum Pitch Angle to a negative value (I think -1.57 should work correctly)

> 4) Terrain looks like an AoM clone

Hehe, yeah, that's intended

Clones are never as good as the original.

How many times do you go through the code looking for bugs etc? And how many times do you test the spell before putting it into your map?

Not long enough if bugs can be found so easily (I didn't even have to cast on enemies!)

I made the most of them, but DrainPipe is in the credits.

Did you credit everyone else? Titanic Rage looks like an exact clone of an AoM ability, except you added Avatar to the mix

> How long is the average time you spend on making your spells?

For the simple ones, about a hour. For the "complex", sometimes three hours.

> How many times do you go through the code looking for bugs etc?

About 10 times.

> And how many times do you test the spell before putting it into your map?

The same, about 12 times.

Why?

1 hour for basic abilities and 3 hours for complex ones? If that's just for the base coding (without rechecking and such), seems like a long time. Alot of those abilities shouldn't take that long to make.

If you went through the code 10 times, you should've found the bugs :) Search harder

Same with playtesting

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Bah, had to re-take the screenshots (was trying to take them with Xfire, but I never realised Xfire wasn't started :p)

Weird explosion with Red Death.
wtf1ll8.jpg

Universal Magician's Fireball facing same direction with every cast (wasn't the fire hero after all)
wtf3pe1.jpg

To fix Universal Apocalypse's fireball facing problem, just change the Art - Maximum Pitch Angle to a negative value (I think -1.57 should work correctly)

Clones are never as good as the original.

Not long enough if bugs can be found so easily (I didn't even have to cast on enemies!)

Did you credit everyone else? Titanic Rage looks like an exact clone of an AoM ability, except you added Avatar to the mix

1 hour for basic abilities and 3 hours for complex ones? If that's just for the base coding (without rechecking and such), seems like a long time. Alot of those abilities shouldn't take that long to make.

If you went through the code 10 times, you should've found the bugs :) Search harder

Same with playtesting

> I made the most of them, but DrainPipe is in the credits.

What?! There's a Titanic Rage ability in AoM? Crap...

> 1 hour for basic abilities and 3 hours for complex ones? If that's just for the base coding (without rechecking and such), seems like a long time. Alot of those abilities shouldn't take that long to make.

Same with playtesting

Yeah, I found out :)
It didn't take that long all of them.. some took about 20-40 min.

> Clones are never as good as the original.

No, I know, but actually, it isn't so much intended to be the same. I just like the concept of the AoM terrain, with all those escape ways.

> To fix Universal Apocalypse's fireball facing problem, just change the Art - Maximum Pitch Angle to a negative value (I think -1.57 should work correctly)

I will in the next version.

> Weird explosion with Red Death.

Hmm... that's strange, never saw that.. Well, gonna look through the code.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
What?! There's a Titanic Rage ability in AoM? Crap...

There is an ability on Gigas that looks very similar (with the crater effect), I think it's called Terra Fragor. It isn't the exact same (AoM's ability is probably far better because of the slidey cliff effect)

A few more things I just found:
Brutallis has 2 spells that function almost identically (Defiant Wish and... can't remember other name) (they both jump, they both slam the ground...). PLEASE find an alternative for one :\

Blood Strike does AoE knockback, but all units are pushed towards the same angle (if one unit is pushed at 90 degrees, everyone else in the AoE will be too, regardless of their positioning relative to the explosion)
Bah, just realised how useless that screenshot was :p
FYI, they all slided towards that Huntress Hall at the left, and in the exact same formation that they began in.
wtf4ie1.jpg

There are a few spells that play an animation (Defiant Wish, Brutallis' other jump spell, Time Assassin's Apocalypse Dance) but the animation isn't reset afterwards (they look frozen in place). It looks terrible :( Just queue the stand animation once the final animation starts)

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
There is an ability on Gigas that looks very similar (with the crater effect), I think it's called Terra Fragor. It isn't the exact same (AoM's ability is probably far better because of the slidey cliff effect)

Funny, I never played that hero..
I thought I was so creative, (you are saying something about slide into the middle?) because mine, unintended, also sucked all nearby enemy units inside...

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Gave me a fatal error when using the titan, and attacking an allied building.. I think it knocked the building so far off the map it made it crash.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
also sucked all nearby enemy units inside...

Does it have a chance to make escaping units slide back into the crater? I didn't really test.

Also, your passives are very damage-orientated (or, have an offensive idea behind them). Try to get some more interesting/different ideas, like a % chance to split damage evenly with all nearby units for example.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Gave me a fatal error when using the titan, and attacking an allied building.. I think it knocked the building so far off the map it made it crash.

Oh, crap, I thought I had fixed that bug. Well, have to fix it now.

> Does it have a chance to make escaping units slide back into the crater? I didn't really test.

No.

> Also, your passives are very damage-orientated (or, have an offensive idea behind them). Try to get some more interesting/different ideas, like a % chance to split damage evenly with all nearby units for example.

Never thought about that. But great idea, I think I'm gonna implement that.
But yes, it was intended that they were so offensive.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Even for the (supposedly) defensive Blood Guardian (or whatever the name was)?

Yes. A defensive hero also needs some offensive. And the hero is also based on death. I mean, when a unit dies, the hero becomes "better".

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Well, he does have a bigass fireball spell :p (and his buffer spell causes AoE damage on death as well).

Also, I must ask:
For Desert Ranger's circle of arrows thing, how did you get the arrows to go from 'normal' facing to vertical? I assume it's a custom model?

No, it's not a custom model. It's made in GUI ^_^

> Well, he does have a bigass fireball spell :p (and his buffer spell causes AoE damage on death as well)

Yeah... But he isn't such a defensive hero.. I don't know how to explain.
I try; when you're near him, he gets offensive, but he can be defensive aswell.

EDIT: Updated.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
So much stuff needs to be fixed :p

1) Pathing blockers (I'm sure you saw why that needs fixing when we played the map :p)
2) Delirious Titan has a fairly epic amount of knockback (I saved an enemy from dying by throwing him >1500 distance away from me :()
3) Something needs to change with the Titan (and soon, two jumps aren't fun :()
4) Elementalist somehow turned invulnerable (I was afk at the time, so I don't know how it happened)
5) Elemental Freeze needs some massive balance. It's impossible to escape.
6) Game crashed with a fatal error. Not sure why though (I was busy being annoyed with Delirious Titan causing me to close a kill :\)

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
1) YES!!

2) I should have that fixed, clearly not. Dang.

3) YES!!

4) It's the ultimate of the Blood Guardian. It turns all units (friendly) near him invulnerable as long as he doesn't move. He doesn't become invulnerable himself though.

5) It's only temporary :)

6) I think it was because a unit was knocked out of the map..

Thanks for the feedback.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
4) Permanent invulnerability? After you had left the game? Explain yourself...

5) 2 seconds isn't very temporary when you can continuously attack

6)
JASS:
public function SetUnitXY takes unit u, real x, real y returns nothing
     if x<GetRectMaxX(bj_mapInitialPlayableArea) and x>GetRectMinX(bj_mapInitialPlayableArea) and y<GetRectMaxY(bj_mapInitialPlayableArea) and y>GetRectMinY(bj_mapInitialPlayableArea) then
       call SetUnitX(u,x)
       call SetUnitY(u,y)
     endif
endfunction

Use that instead of SetUnitX and SetUnitY individually. It prevents units leaving map bounds. Just remove the public declaration and you should be fine.

7) One that I forgot to mention - building knockback. It looks terrible, makes it impossible to target towers with single-target and can cause bugs (what would happen if you knocked a tower up a cliff, or out of attack range of any units?). The questlog only gives a really lame excuse as to why towers should be knocked back (buildings aren't knocked back in earthquakes, they are knocked down!). Just add a condition
JASS:
IsUnitType (whichunit, UNIT_TYPE_STRUCTURE) == false

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.