a screenshot of...something

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
I know. It's creating the fire.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
err, what?? Did you guys even listen to what I said??

"a freakin Earth Fury Tower" ???

HERES THE TORCH

Doodads\Ruins\Props\Brazier\Brazier0

AND HERES ONE OF THE BRICK MODELS

Doodads\Ruins\Terrain\RuinsWall90\RuinsWall902

THESE ARE STRAIGHT OUT OF THE NORMAL EDITOR DOODADS I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO THEM

why would I lie to you about what I'm doing?? :confused: :confused:

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Eh, are you still working on that? Anyways, here's what I think.

The moat in front of the castle is a little to straight, without any deformations are parts jutting out. Back in medeival times, they weren't able to make moats look THAT perfect.

The shrubs and grass in front of the castle is also a little odd. Just doesn't fit with that tile very well, it'd be better to put a few more in there.

Last thing, but wh ae there buildings OUTSIDE of the castle walls? Aren't the towns supposed to be inside the castle for protection purposes?

Anyways, it looks awesome.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
What's the glowing orb on top of your brazier then? :confused:

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
It's most likely the KotG's Tranquility orb thingy but colored that yellowish color instead.

M

Marksman

ooook, now we're arguing whether tiny juts on the top of a wall are towers. You can call them towers, cause that would assume that the tower was built, and then the walls built to connect the towers, but to me it looks like they were just added on top of the existing wall (no change in wall beneath a tower jut), so i'd say they were just fancy looking platforms raised above the wall, that happen to have orbs of glowling light that look sweet.

By the way Darg, are you actually making a map with this wall thing or are you just showing off the screenshot?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
That so, conan? I know you can change the color of an orb by tinting it...some change completely.

Uh Marksman, everything's answered. The thing on top of the wall is a special ruins torch brazier that takes some real digging to find in the doodad section. Above the tower head thingie is a glowing orb.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Darg said:
@ Rinpun: it would be nice if I could do that, but I specifically wanted that many bricks because the wall was supposed to be destructible. Just imagine catapults firing boulders from a distance and carving out holes in the wall, while your archers try and keep the high ground to stop the enemy troops from breaching the front gates.

AH! That just gave me a great idea! I've gotta try that, but with something a bit different..... You'll see it soon. :D

TFlan

I could change this in my User CP.
Reaction score
one question how did you do that wall :eek: ?!? that is so cool :cool: ! Do you change the doodad to walkable and then what?

Whens your map coming out?! I want to test :D

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
the first - 5th post tells us how he did it :banghead: and alos answers ur other "when is this comming out" he said his comp is slow and he getting a new 1 then he'll continue

TFlan

Reaction score
well you could give me an estimate like maybe 2 months or somthing. Sorry i kinda skimmed through the thread so i missed where he said he did it.

TFlan

Reaction score
umm the 5th post realy didnt help me at all. I already knew that they changed the height and i already know that, but what i need to know is how the got it to stack on each other, like what's the pathing of the doodad and stuff.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
hehe this is pretty exciting for me, I never imagined to generate so much publicity for a map that barely even has the ground work laid out :)

@ conan: nice feedback. its fair to say that I am staring at my terrain and going "hmmm", so I am definitely not 100% ok with it. So hopefully I can do a revamp and take in your advice.

@ rinpun: those aren't orbs, its fire. It just doesn't look like fire because its a still shot. I think the editor also does something strange to it when I pan a certain distance away from it.

@ anyone who wants to know when this map is coming out: tough question! My main issue is that I am still grappling with the basics, I'm trying to see how I can make a fun multiplayer map that has some degree of replayability. To do the terrain is quite hard, because I have to both make it look arty and also make it functional to accomodate the flow of the game. Ryoko will tell you stories about how hard this is to do.

I will probably release a different map before this one though. I was working on it last year and pretty much finished it, but I never got the desync problems sorted out so it never got released. When I get a new comp I will then have 2 comps to play with and so testing the map and eliminating the desyncs will be a lot easier.

I certainly appreciate the interest in what I am doing, so I thank you all for posting here.

TFlan

Reaction score
umm when i tried to make a wall like yours darg i could stack them on each other. i could change the hieght, it wouldn't let me stack em. What am i doing wrong? :confused:

TFlan

Reaction score
ya they are walkable

TFlan

Reaction score
ok i made it so i could stack them, but now i cant place units on them only under them? little help please someone.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the top layer is destructibles not doodads. You can't walk on doodads, so that is why I did that.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Yea I soon realized it was just the illumination from the fire. Simple puffy particle.

Well thanks for your input in that direction, Darg, you've convinced me to add to my LoaP a bowling alley (if there's enough room). :)

Let me know if you need an help or ideas on terraining :D

While I'm not as supreme as Ryoko in setting up models and such, I do believe I can terrain cities with symmetry and create wildernesses, but that might not be what you're looking for...or I'm too novice for you :D

Oh, and on the side note, how do your dudes get on the wall? Will you have ladder doodads or something of the sort and a region or two to take you up there?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I have positioned destructibles in a stair-like fashion that lead up to the back of wall. Thus you won't be able to see them in that screen above, since that's the front of the wall.

When it comes to terraining, I'm about as novice as it gets, its the technical stuff I'm good at, not the creative stuff. While you may not get to actually work on the map yourself, I will always fully appreciate any advice that persons such as yourself can give me. Same goes to Ryoko and conan and everyone else who dispenses good advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.