General Canvas painted blue with a white line sells for nearly $44 million (picture)

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
K8LJnQE.jpg

“Onement VI” from abstract expressionist painter Barnett Newman sold on Tuesday at a Sotheby’s auction for 43.8 million dollars.

Below you can see a couple of people experiencing how — as Sotheby’s describes it —

Newman overwhelms and seduces the viewer with the totality of its sensual, cascading washes of vibrant blue coexisting with Newman’s vertical “Sign” of the human presence, his iconic and revolutionary “zip.”​

Last edited by a moderator:

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
If anyone else painted the exact same thing, they'd be laughed at. Fine art is WAAAYYY over my head.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not he picture that is this expensive. It is the artist. Nobody would really wanna have a picture like that for this price. They want to have a work of a certain artist, especially one for which they have proof that it actually is the original.

KMilz

Reaction score
Its not he picture that is this expensive. It is the artist. Nobody would really wanna have a picture like that for this price. They want to have a work of a certain artist, especially one for which they have proof that it actually is the original.
That's still over my head. Why would they want the work of a famous artist if it's trash, even if he is famous? How'd he get famous in the first place if he was producing garbage like this? I get that you'd want it for the money, but why would you spend the money on it?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to realize that these people already have alot of money. But money is worth nothing (its material that is).
When there is another economical crisis and the value of money drops further and further it will be art, land property, and luxury goods which count.
Just imagine what would happen if another crisis comes and the USA and europe go down really badly. Suddenly, there will be numerous asian and african millionaires who want to show off their wealth to prove their superiority. And to do this, they will buy pieces of art like this one. Just as a symbol of wealth.
And then the western millionaires will still be rich, even without their money, because they can trade their art, cars, and mansions for high prices.

KMilz

Reaction score
For the prestige, then. I guess I could understand that if I were stupidly rich.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Why the heck did I put so much to draw something when I could just draw a bloody line and sell it for millions.

Be happy if someone buys my drawing for 100 bucks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.