Changing Core Ability Properties

Flamesword

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a passive ability (specifically, Cleaving Attack) into a toggelable or autocast ability (i.e., Immolation or Searing Arrows). I tried making a trigger to damage units in an area whenever a unit that has the ability attacks, but it won't work the way I want.
Can anyone think of a way to make it work? Or, even better, does anyone know how to change the actual function of the ability, turning it from a passive skill to an autocast one?

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
I tried making a trigger to damage units in an area whenever a unit that has the ability attacks, but it won't work the way I want.
More specificly, in what way doesn't it work? If you haven't tried it you could use immolation with a custom buff and then check if the triggering unit has that buff then damage the units within range. (And ofcourse remove the immolation damage before use.)

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
You can not make an ability do something it isn't doing already.
Being, for example, autocast or not is not an option, but comes with the ability.

Flamesword

Reaction score
I tried just that, but the trigger function won't work. Cleaving attack works by doing a percent of the initial damage over an area. When I try to use the "Damage area" event, I can use the "Event Responce - Damage taken" function, but that only responds to "Specific Unit takes damage" event.
I tried making a trigger to set a unit variable to whatever unit is targeted by this ability, but I can't seem to use a unit variable under the "Specific Unit" variable tab if I can figure that out, the rest will fall into place.

C

Chindril

I think the action of setting auto-cast on or off dispatch an order. You could do something like (Sorry I don't have WE here)

Event
A unit is given an order

Condition
Issued Order == autocast_ability_id (check in object editor)

Action
Add Ability Cleave to TriggeredUnit()

do the opposite when he turns it off.
Also make one trigger on the casting of the ability, in case the user manually cast your ability

- Chindril

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
>>but I can't seem to use a unit variable under the "Specific Unit" variable tab if I can figure that out, the rest will fall into place.

Code:
Untitled Trigger 004
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters (Playable map area)
    Conditions
        ((Triggering unit) is A structure) Not equal to True
    Actions
        Trigger - Add to (This trigger) the event (Unit - (Triggering unit) Takes damage)
Of course (This Trigger) is your trigger... Yes, simply add all units into the event.

Evoroth

Reaction score
Make a toggleable ability, set all fields to 0 so it does nothing in itself. Then make some triggers which gives Cleaving Attack to the unit when it activates the ability, and remove the ability when the unit deactivates it

Flamesword

Reaction score
I can't really toss in abilities temporarily when another triggers. I already plan on having as many abilities on my heroes as possible, and I can't add more than the 5.

Flamesword

Reaction score
I even tried ManyTimes idea, although modeled differently, but that just caused my game to freeze. Besides, that would result in a trigger with hundreds of events to monitor...

W!†A_cRaft

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
think about it

you dont have to be capped with 5 abilities....

You have an activation/deactivation ability (which you wanted anyways)
And a UNIT cleaving attack ability which you add (depending the level of the original ability) fairly simple if you know how to make a trigger that activates when you toggle autocast.

if you need space for icons than add a spellbook and idsable it... it will not show the icopn and will have the cleave ability

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.