Chaos Ability

Monictor

Reaction score
First question, how do you post a trigger besides having to copy and paste text? I am going on a 10 minute errand. When I get back, if someone responds, I'll post my ability trigger that I need some help on.

Thanks.

Go to your trigger.
Above "Events" is your trigger name.
Right click and select "Copy as text".

Come back here and paste between [noparse]
Trigger:
[/noparse]
tags.

Seriously, why do you post this if you're not going to link it? :rolleyes:

Edit (for post below):
It doesn't mean you can't link it? Just use it. Ace didn't delete the thread for a reason. Locked or graveyarded doesn't mean you can't link it. :rolleyes:

Ah, cool. Alright so the basic goal of this ability is to create 5 wisps, then have them shoot Death Coils at target of ability being cast. I want it to order each wisp one by one to fire a death coil every .1 or .2 seconds, and do this 5 times, for a total of 25 death coils. However, what the trigger I made does so far is only commands the first wisp to shoot one DC. If I get rid of the wait .1 seconds, it makes all 5 wisps shoot 1 DC at the same time. This was just a guess at how to do the spell, as I am a nub at map making (this is part of my first project). How can I accomplish what I want? Thanks for any assistance.

Trigger:
  • Chaos
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins channeling an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Chaos
    • Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of (Casting unit) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\UnholyAura\UnholyAura.mdl
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 5, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Chaos Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by 200.00 towards (-54.00 + ((Real((Integer A))) x 72.00)) degrees) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Set ChaosDummy[(Integer A)] = (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Add a 10.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Wait 0.20 seconds
        • Loop - Actions
          • For each (Integer B) from 1 to 5, do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Wait 0.1 seconds
              • Unit - Order ChaosDummy[(Integer A)] to Undead Death Knight - Death Coil (Target unit of ability being cast)
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)

Reading over it here I see one mistake... that I put A for the Chaos Dummy integer instead of B in the last loop.

Waits screw up loops (IIRC) .
You might need to get a JASS version, or use timers somehow.

Also for the Event;
Use "Starts the effect of an ability".

Well... i got this ability to work with a wait in the loop:

Trigger:
  • Mortar Barrage
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Mortar Barrage
    • Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of (Casting unit) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Flare\FlareCaster.mdl
      • Wait 1.00 seconds
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Flare\FlareTarget.mdl
      • Wait 4.10 seconds
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 15, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Random 2 units from (Units within 260.00 of (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)))) and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Picked unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Other\Incinerate\FireLordDeathExplode.mdl
              • Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage (Picked unit), dealing 10.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Fire
          • Wait 0.06 seconds

What is IIRC, and what are timers?

It's not the loop... I changed the dummy spell to be based off healing spray, and make the 5 coils each be based off that, but when I put the waits in between the cast commands still only the first one goes off.

Trigger:
  • Chaos
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Chaos
    • Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of (Casting unit) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\UnholyAura\UnholyAura.mdl
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Chaos Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by 200.00 towards (-54.00 + ((Real((Integer A))) x 72.00)) degrees) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Set ChaosDummy[(Integer A)] = (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Add a 10.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Wait 0.05 seconds
      • Unit - Order ChaosDummy[1] to Neutral Alchemist - Healing Spray (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Wait 0.10 seconds
      • Unit - Order ChaosDummy[2] to Neutral Alchemist - Healing Spray (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Wait 0.10 seconds
      • Unit - Order ChaosDummy[3] to Neutral Alchemist - Healing Spray (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Wait 0.10 seconds
      • Unit - Order ChaosDummy[4] to Neutral Alchemist - Healing Spray (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Wait 0.10 seconds
      • Unit - Order ChaosDummy[5] to Neutral Alchemist - Healing Spray (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)

I'm unsure whether the target unit of ability being cast is null or not.
Try storing that unit or it's position to a variable.
And order the dummies to cast their thing on that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.