Connecting motherboard to case!

zeron

Reaction score
Hey guys, i was tinkering with my dads old computer just trying to learn about how they work so i can eventually learn how to build one my self. im reading a couple books on it. but while tinkering i accedently disconnected the wires that connected the case to the motherboard... this includes the: H.D.D LED, POWER LED, RESET SW, and POWER SW. now i cant turn on the computer :/. it is an extremely old pc bought back in 2000 with some kind of FIC motherboard i dont know how to identify. i need to get the switches hooked back inb the right place so i can turn it on. i know ehere they got unplugged from but it doesnt indicate whitch one goes were... i tried pluging the power sw into the the different pins but still cant get it to tur on... any help? maybe theres another way to turn on PC through psu without using the case.

edit: i reckoned you would need some additional information if you were willing to help me... the motherboard probally was made around 1999 and is fitted for an AMD athlon. it is a very weak computer im just using it to learn how work on things, now i have fudged up :/.

zeron

Reaction score
i found what seems to be a product code [ 151-00041-001 ] but when i google it it comes up as a NEC manufactured and the card is apparently from FIC because it has a big "1st" logo on (i think) the BIOS.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there any text around the pins indicating what is used for what? Also note that they can be connected in various directions ('sideways') as well as in different places.
The only one that's really important is the power button; so I'd recommend focusing on just that and trying to connect it in different places and trying it every time. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Once you've found the power one, you can continue using trial and error for the rest of them. The number of options will decrease as the pins become occupied, so it shouldn't take too long. LED connectors will need to be tried in the 'reverse' directions too (rotate it 180 degrees), unlike the power/reset switches. Good luck!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
like romek said, the power one is the only important one for now - just take a screwdriver and briefly (~1 second) connect 2 pins (that are next to each other, not diagonal) - until it turns on, since only the power button will turn it on - next, repeat for the reset button - you might need to keep it longer (~5 seconds) until it restarts - then the remaining ones are the hard drive/start-up buzzer - these aren't that important, but if you wanted it shouldn't be too hard to figure out which ones go where, since you eliminated half of the pins

zeron

Reaction score
i found it :). but theres another problem now :(, i cant get no output to my monitor. i changed video cards to see if itd help but still nothing. it lacks integrated video... anything to do?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
i found it :). but theres another problem now :(, i cant get no output to my monitor. i changed video cards to see if itd help but still nothing. it lacks integrated video... anything to do?

what graphic cards are you putting in? AGP cards? do they need their own power adapter by any chance?

zeron

Reaction score
ya it is AGP but the card was working earlier it wasnt until i accidently unplugged from case it wouldnt show. occassionaly it wouldnt show before but id tighten connection and it work. but now since i can turn it on again neither of my AGP cards(that worked before) work now.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have no display, are you sure the rest of the computer is booting properly?

If you have tried multiple graphics cards and they don't work, the chances might be that your computer is not booting properly and this is why you do not have any display.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
have you got the speaker working? does it beep when starting up? ("good" beep or "bad" beep?)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.