Crusaders of Might and Magic

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
I have the game Crusaders of Might and Magic for Windows 95. Although it seems to run fine on my XP, there is a problem. When I hold down a movement key, the character jerks forward instead of running, and the jumping doesn't always move him up. He just animates. Basically it's like if you were to tap the keys very fast, causing him to take half steps forward. Sometimes, he will run correctly, but usually not for very long.

I have to theories on this. One, that something with the keyboard is making a continuous press act like tapping. Two, that the collision in the game is somehow messed up to cause the character to act in such away. I'm leaning towards theory one.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this? (Other than installing a new operating system.)

P.S. I've already updated my keyboard drivers, and it didn't affect anything game-wise.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
did you try going into option, keyboard,defaults

if that exists

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
I have no idea what you're talking about. Options, Keyboard, Default in what?

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
The game does contain an Options menu, but the only section pertaining to the keyboard is the Controls menu. The only options that has are which keys do what, and Mouse Sensitivity and Inversion. There is a Default button that will return all Options to their default, but that won't really do anything, because all options are at their default.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
well i searched and this problem doesnt seem to exist with anybody else so im guessing its your keyboard

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
Doesn't Work.

Running it in Windows 95, 98/ME, or any other compatibility mode causes the game to crash. Very strange but true.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
actually no :)

cept (long shot here)

if your cpu supports hyper threading might wanna disable it in the bios .

C

Cool

The problem is that the installation program doesn't register the latest version of directx, ( currently at 9.0 as opposed to 6.0 as was originally intended). The only way I know of to play the game without jerkiness is to switch the graphical settings of the game from D3D to Software Rendering (using the graphic settings program outside of the game that is installed with it). But please keep in mind the graphics will look worse than Quake 1. If anyone else has a better way... Please Post It!!!!

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
Whoah

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I didn't realize anyone else had replied.

Thanks for the tip! The graphics are the most terrible thing I have ever seen (they were way better on the old, old 95 that my family used to have) but at least I can play. Thanx again!

X

xprojected

Believe it or not, the problem with the stuttering movement may have to do with your display's refresh rate. For example, on my LCD display, all modes are forced to 75Hz, except 1280x960, which can only seem to do 60Hz. All the modes have the stutter, except surprise, 1280x960 where Drake moves just fine. And this is hardware rendering, not software. So give 60Hz refresh rate a try, you can change it under Control Panel->Display->Settings->Advanced->Monitor.

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
Actually, my monitor is already at 60 Hz. But I think you had a different problem anyway. The stutter you describe would not directly affect gameplay. My problem was that the character - not the game as a whole - stuttered. But it is pretty much fixed now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.