Health Cutting off healthy limbs OK, says Dr Christopher Ryan

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
The problem with these cases (anorexia and cutting of limbs and self-hurting mental states, etc.) are that there are people that care for the person and don't want the person to keep hurting themselves. It would be harsh to find a loved one decide he/she wants to go on an extreme 'diet' to lose weight, or wants to chop of his/her right hand.
But that's more or less morally.

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Exactly. It's not like anorexia, which can be "cured".

You're pretty much stuck to anorexia for the rest of your life just like you'll be stuck to this amputee disease. All you can do is get it treated and learn to cope with it fairly well. I take your word when you say you can never completely restore from this odd amputee disorder, but I refuse to believe it cannot be treated in such a way it refains a person from chopping off his own limb or becoming incredible miserable because of that limb.

Also, I'm pretty much shocked you simply support suicide and mark it as someones "right to do so"! Someone doesnt suicide for nothing. He or she has problems and seeks to get rid of them by killing him or herself. Helping that person solve those problems will save a life, as much as an ambulance saves the life of a completely regular 40-year old who happened to fall down from a stair and suffer some lethal headwounds. Killing yourself is (nearly) never the best option, and we should stop people who are trying to do so. Its not their right, its their mistake. And we should save their lives by preventing them from making that mistake.

duyen

Reaction score
They can't learn to live with it. It's been tried before and failed.
The difference of anorexia and this, is that anorexia can kill someone. While this, if done unprofessionally, then yes, it will kill someone. But once the limb is cut, that's it, the person keeps moving and lives on.

I know one limb they wouldn't be able to move on without. :D

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
You'd be surprised xD

Reaction score
You're pretty much stuck to anorexia for the rest of your life just like you'll be stuck to this amputee disease. All you can do is get it treated and learn to cope with it fairly well. I take your word when you say you can never completely restore from this odd amputee disorder, but I refuse to believe it cannot be treated in such a way it refains a person from chopping off his own limb or becoming incredible miserable because of that limb.

It doesn't matter whether or not you refuse to believe it. The fact is that this disorder exists, and that sometimes losing a limb is the only way these people will be able to live happily.

I really don't see how this is any worse than a transsexual getting a sex change.

[...] And we should save their lives by preventing them from making that mistake.

Then you are saying that a man does not even have the right to his own life.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I totally do not remember this from 2008 but seriously WTF? Cutting off your own limbs is OK? Crazy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.