Health Cutting off healthy limbs OK, says Dr Christopher Ryan

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
TO most people, the thought of amputating a perfectly healthy limb is unimaginable.

But for at least three Australians, possibly dozens more, cutting off their leg has felt perfectly normal.

These so-called "amputee wannabes" have a very rare condition in which they feel one of their limbs is not truly their own, and they become obsessed with cutting it off.

And people suffering from the bizarre body image disorder should be able to opt for amputation, a Sydney psychiatrist says.

Last edited:

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
I'd probably want the same if I were them. It's probably like wanting to scratch off a scab, even if you shouldn't you still want to.

Jolly chap*

Reaction score
I'd probably want the same if I were them. It's probably like wanting to scratch off a scab, even if you shouldn't you still want to.
Hmm. But still, it won't make sense logically to cut off a perfectly healthy limb. Those people should know how many people are out there desperately wanting limbs of their own.

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
I support it. :thup: It is obviously a mental problem, and unless a psychological medicine is found, this is the only way to deal with it.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hmm. But still, it won't make sense logically to cut off a perfectly healthy limb. Those people should know how many people are out there desperately wanting limbs of their own.

But if the doctors didn't cut it off then the patient might cut it off themselves in a much less safe fashion.

As for the patient caring about other people who aren't as fortunate, they can't really control it, it's a mental condition and unless they are treated they can't help themselves. And it doesn't seem like there are any treatments are there for this at the time being.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to cut off their limb. It makes them happy, the doctor gets paid, and another fascinating and educational experience for the textbooks.

Why would you think it's not "right"...?

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
This would cause people to become disabled. Some of the lazier people may come in thinking they have this sort of disease when they don't and get a limb chopped off for benefits.

But I'm for this. I don't want people to cut off their own limbs to be happy. That's just unhealthy.

Seb!

Reaction score
I think its anyone's right to have a medical operation if they can pay for it. They shouldn't get disability, though.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
Man this is just too weird. I don't support it, I'd rather they live unhappy lives then promote something so twisted to be of human nature. There's already enough useless people in the world breathing my oxygen, I don't see any need for people who surgically alter their body to become handicapped. Let them do it themselves and hopefully they might die in the process.

It's disgraceful to even think there are people who think this is ok, it's seriously not. For example, imagine how disgusted and disgraced the family (or even children) of one of these people would feel after they come home from the hospital... after having one of their own legs removed. Especially the children, they would grow up not understanding why their parent would do that and wonder if the same problem exists within them.

Life is more then just what you want, it's also how it affects the people around you. Twisted freaks like this don't deserve the right to get what they want when it can have such a detrimental impact on others.

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
I absolutely do not support this! Those people are suffering from a disorder! Yeah, cutting off the limb inmediatly solves the problem, but thats not how we should do things here on earth. Its just like....giving people with anorexia a diet! Yeah, it makes them happy. No, its not good for them and if you'd cure them and made them into happy people again, they would regret the choice they would go for during the disorder.

Seb!

Reaction score
I have to say that I am incredibly amazed by these last two responses.

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
I have to say that I am incredibly amazed by these last two responses.

We know it sounds kind of weird, but you simply cannot let people who are not 100% mentally OK get their limbs chopped off. My sister had anorexia. If every choice was up to her those days the disorder reached its peak, she wouldnt be here right now. It was because we prevented her from going her own ways those days that she's even alive!

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I've heard of people with this disorders, and when you hear the stories of what they've done to try to cut off their limb, you would agree to let them chop off whatever limb they don't want.
There was a guy who filled his bathtub with ice, put his foot in there to numb it, but then his wife came home and found him, he got some disease that was eating his foot and could have killed him. He still kept his foot though.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
yeah well seb you probably think we are being ignorant by saying 'no, this is too fucked up', but the truth is you are by supporting it. There are more negative issues surrounding the support of this then there are positive.

Sjakie provided a good example of why this shouldn't be supported.... because once something like this is given the A-OK then where do you stop? Or are you someone who would say to an anorexic person, 'nah it's cool, you have a disorder and it's not your fault... so starve yourself to death as long as it makes you happy'.... because if most people knew and cared about someone with anorexia they would do things to help prevent their situation becoming worse, not give them the ':thup:'

These people are so few in number that it's worth letting them risk their lives rather then support a behavior that opens doors and gives more reason for other people to hurt themselves. A line has to be drawn somewhere, and this is definitely it. You know, by trying to act like you are understanding of everything proves that you don't understand shit

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
If you really believe that. :thup:

I agree with MurderMode as well, the outcome of cutting it off is much worse than if they learned to have it. Trust me, if you could get them out of that mental mode, they would much rather have their leg or arm...

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
They can't learn to live with it. It's been tried before and failed.
The difference of anorexia and this, is that anorexia can kill someone. While this, if done unprofessionally, then yes, it will kill someone. But once the limb is cut, that's it, the person keeps moving and lives on.

Seb!

Reaction score
They can't learn to live with it. It's been tried before and failed.
The difference of anorexia and this, is that anorexia can kill someone. While this, if done unprofessionally, then yes, it will kill someone. But once the limb is cut, that's it, the person keeps moving and lives on.

Exactly. It's not like anorexia, which can be "cured". Plus, your own petty morals are beside point. Freedom to have a medical operation that doesn't affect other people should be a right.

If you want to commit suicide, you should be able to. If you want to cut your arm off, you should be able to. Hell, if you want to follow through on your anorexia, you should be able to. It's not illegal, after all. You should probably get help, but you still have your rights.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.