WIP Diablo/Counter Strike crossover

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I've recently started a project that looks very promising so far, even though it is in the early stages. There is no gameplay or any content yet, but that's just a matter of time.

Purpose of Thread:
  • Let you try a new way of spell casting.
  • Let you come up with your crazy spell ideas that would fit in this spell casting system. Anything goes, as I will make new models to use for new spells. (I would appreciate it a lot if you have some cool ideas)

Plans for gameplay:
Everyone will control one hero, controlled much like a diablo character, but with easier access to spells. You point where to cast with the mousepointer, and cast different spells with hotkeys. This way you can cast a lot of spells repeatedly all around you. (Normally casting is done by clicking the ability first, followed by clicking where to cast. This is the other way around.)

It will be a game with two opposing teams playing in a sort of a Counter Strike bomb planting arena. The act of planting a bomb will be changed to fit in the warcraft universe, but the gameplay will be very much the same. If many people haven't played Counter Strike, I can elaborate on how a bomb planting map plays out.

Skills will be acquired much like weapons in Counter Strike, and will be represented by an item in your inventory, and an ability in one of your four ability slots. Like Counter Strike, you can buy skills for the money you have earned, or save them for next round.

It may look as if I'm a total Counter Strike fanboy. The truth is that I don't enjoy the game that much really. I've merely used it as an example on what I'm basing the round system on. What I'm trying to do is make a more interesting arena than just a boring deathmatch. Having a common goal to achieve also helps strengthen teamplay, which is always a plus.

I know the demo contains barely nothing. If it's too little to base a project thread on, let me know.

Attachments

• BattleMagesDemo.w3x
    21.3 KB · Views: 446

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
Wasn't Battle mages a established name already? It's made by Dark.revenant. Go Epicwar and then search battle mages, quite a flexible and fun map done.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
The name is just a production name so I can work on the map. I could just as well have called it "Just another warcraft 3 map", but I wouldn't have been able to see the difference of my maps if every map had this name.

I have no name for the map yet.

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
>Just another warcraft 3 map
It is called that in the list, actually.

Comments: This is awesome. First look at it I assumed this would need some edit on warcraft to track the mouse to cast spells, but nope, works fine. +rep for this piece of awesomeness.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
>Just another warcraft 3 map
It is called that in the list, actually.
Hehe, whops!

Comments: This is awesome. First look at it I assumed this would need some edit on warcraft to track the mouse to cast spells, but nope, works fine. +rep for this piece of awesomeness.
Hey, thanks!

I'm having so much fun making this, so I decided to upload the latest map to show how it's progressing. It's still not much, but it's starting to take shape.

Attachments

• NotBattleMagesDemo 22.12.2008.w3x
    75.3 KB · Views: 201

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Yeah but nobody ever plays it.

That is probably true. I've never seen it been hosted on B.net. Regardless, this map won't be called BattleMages, since I'm going to include both warrior and wizard type classes to choose from.

I'm not in a rush to find a proper name. Feel free to make suggestions though.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
sounds cool ill check it out asap ill get back to this thread after the holidays cool down

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Still nothing playable, but here's another map to show how it's progressing. The abilities are quite fun to play with if I may say so myself.

Changes:
  • Ability button's location and hotkey changes according to where it's corresponding item is put.
  • Abilities can now have different cast times, as originally intended.
  • Added ability: Lightning - much like electrocute in Diablo 3. Graphics are still being worked on.
  • Added ability: Magic Missile - homes in on the mouse pointer at all times. Graphics have not been made yet.

Attachments

• NotBattleMagesDemo 26.12.2008.w3x
    121.8 KB · Views: 206

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Thanks for the support. I'm going to continue working on this and post new demo maps all along the way to the finish line.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
The round system is now finished
  • Players can join one of two teams. The team names are still to be decided. I don't want them to be called Terrorists and Counter Terrorists like in Counter Strike. Suggestions are appreciated.
  • A new round begins when either teams have been eliminated, and players are given money to use on new skills.

The command -restartlevel can be used to restart everyone to default starting skills and money.

I'll upload a playable version once I create some terrain to fight in.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Completed:
  • Terrain with two bomb locations: Lumber Mill and Gold Mine (I decided to go for the classics)
  • Money system
  • Bomb system near completion
  • Defuse system near completion
  • -repick and -changeteam commands added
  • Ability: Drink Mana Potion - All units have 30 mana which never regenerates. Drink Mana Potion is given to all units, has no cast time and unlimited use. After 3 seconds you regain all lost mana instantly. You may walk around while drinking, but casting any spells within the 3 seconds drinking, breaks it's effect.
  • Drink Mana Potion overhead icon
  • Limitation on bomb planting locations
  • Camera system with changeable overhead view and closeup view using the mouse wheel and mouse pointer position
  • Added support for some skills to have a set amount of charges instead of using mana. Using a skill with no charges remaining initiates skill recharge which recharges the skill after a few seconds.
  • Dropable items with auto pickup when walking over them
  • Random bomb distribution
  • Bomb overhead icon when planting
  • Auto team balance

To Do before first release:
  • Defuse overhead icon
  • Spectator when dead mode

A fully playable map will be released once the map is finalized and I've tested how many players it can support without cpu-slowdown.

First release will feature one character; the Wizard. In later releases I will add more characters for different game play styles.

Plans for later releases: (incomplete and in no particular order)
  • New bomb model
  • New bomb explosion effect model
  • Character: Berserker
  • Character: Archer
  • Character: Necromancer
  • Killed units dropping last used skill on the ground for others to pick up.
  • Full spectator mode
  • More things I just can't remember at the moment

CaptDeath

Reaction score
just an idea for the teams give the team leader the function to change the team name and have all the players on team X to have that prefix like
AngelsOfDeath Tyreal.F.E.A.R.:[would be my bnet name with AngelsOfDeath in front of it]

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
just an idea for the teams give the team leader the function to change the team name and have all the players on team X to have that prefix like
AngelsOfDeath Tyreal.F.E.A.R.:[would be my bnet name with AngelsOfDeath in front of it]

Great idea, in case anyone would want to play as a clan

Metaldrummer

Reaction score
This would take some getting used to, but it's really fun so far. Keep it up!

I need to go play Diablo II again....

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
This would take some getting used to, but it's really fun so far. Keep it up!

Thanks, I've been very enthusiastic about this map until now. The map has started to take shape and I've tested it a bit on B.net. Unfortunately it bugs right away when starting a B.net game. Offline it has no issues, and it's not a desync bug, so I'm clueless about what's causing it.

Unless I can somehow manage to figure out what's causing the bug, I won't be able to continue this map. Please Take a look in this thread if you want to know about the bug and try help me solve it. Here's the latest map if you'd like to see it's progress.

Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.