Tutorial (Easy)Adding an Attachment

Sarj14

Reaction score
Welcome to my first tutorial, Adding an Attachment!

Difficulty: 2/10 Easy

Let's begin right away!

What This Tutorial Shows
This tutorial shows shows you how to add an attachment to your unit in a step by step process, that is all.

Why Would This be Useful
This is a great system to use in RPG/ORPG maps. Though, I strongly suggest if you are using this system, then also use the system that allows only one item per group. IE: Only one chest armor, only one left hand/righthand weapon, that system. A tutorial for that can be found here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/triggers-scripts-269/just_spectatings-item-carry-system-132141/ By Just_Spectating

Step 1) Open up Warcraft 3: World Editor, which is located in your Warcraft III folder.

Step 2) Find your model that you want to use for your attachment. I will be using http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/spiked-mace-sunchips-145993/?prev=d%3Dlist%26r%3D20%26t%3D7. Then open up your Import Manager (F12) and import it and add the correct File Path for your model if needed. Now save and exit then reopen World Editor so the model will definitely work.(Credit for the model to Sunchips from http://www.hiveworkshop.com)

Step 3) Once you've found your model and imported it, make a custom unit spell. I am making one called "Spiked Club Attachment" so I remember what it is you can name your ability anything you want. (I used the unit spell "Sphere").

Step 4) Once you've created your ability, you need to change some things. Scroll down till you see the following:
Art - Target
Art - Target Attachment Point 1
Art - Target Attachment Point 2
Art - Target Attachment Point 3
Art - Target Attachment Point 4
Art - Target Attachment Point 5
Art - Target Attachment

Once there, open up Art - Target and set the model to the model you imported from Step 2. After that is done, you can set it to appear on your unit using the Art - Target Attachment Points 1-5. I am going show you how to do the left hand. So, your model is in the Art - Target. Now open up Art - Target Attachment Point 1 and add a string saying "hand,left". Hit ok and exit out of that. Now go to Art - Target Attachment and edit it to only 1.
After that is done, scroll down till you see:

Stats - Item Ability

Open that up and check "True".

My screen looked like this when I was done.
Step 5) Now, you've set up your ability. Keep Object Editor open and click the second tab next to units, Items.

Step 6) Make a custom item and open up Abilities - Abilities. Click Add Ability and find the spell you made in the Custom Spell list, for me I found the spell "Spiked Club Attachment".

*Optional* - Step 7) This step is optional, but I think it is really cool for RPG maps! Go to your item and look for Art - Model Used. Erase what is in there and click Import: and use the model that you downloaded. This will make it so when the item is dropped, it won't be a treasure box with gold, but it will show as the model you used! So like I am using the spiked club and it dropped, it would appear on the ground as the spiked club model I used.

My screen looked like this when I was done.
Step 8) Now, for the real easy part, creating the trigger. Open up Trigger Editor and make a 2 triggers, mine is named "Spiked Club Pick Up" and "Spiked Club Drop". This will make it so when you pick up the item, it will appear on your unit, and when you drop the item, it will disappear.

Step 9) Now, make a new event, "A unit Acquires an item". Now, make a condition "(Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Your Item" Now, make an action called "Unit - Add Your Spell from (Triggering unit)". Mine looks like this.
Trigger:
  • Spiked Club Pick Up
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Spiked Club
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add Spiked Club Attachment to (Triggering unit)

Step 10) Now, you made a pick up trigger, now to make a drop trigger. Just copy and paste the pick up trigger and rename it to name of the drop trigger you want. So you now have 2 trigger that look like the above one I have. Now, open the event and make it so it is "Unit - A unit Loses an Item". Keep the condition the same. Open the action trigger and change it to "Unit - Remove Your Spell from (Triggering unit)". Mine looks like this.
Trigger:
  • Spiked Club Drop
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Loses an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Spiked Club
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove Spiked Club Attachment from (Triggering unit)

Step 11) Time to test the attachment. Make a unit, (I used Arthas) and create the custom item you made for it infront of him. If you did Step 7 it should show you the model you used as the item. Now, test the map. Once it loads, pick up the item. It should appear in Arthas's left hand, if it didn't, then read back through the tutorial and see what you did wrong!

End Testing Results

Thanks for reading my first tutorial, Adding an Attachment! :thup:

Happy Attaching,
-Sarj14

Edit: Fixing Grammer Errors

Sarj14

Reaction score
Ftl... didn't see that one. Well, that one seems more "advanced" but I never added the attachment points I guess.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
tbh, I don't really like it.

Sorry, sounds harsh, but... I don't know.

Something about it.

Not general enough, to general, just to... Repetitive? I feel like there is the other tutorial for this, plus... I don't know.

Edit: Put screenshots in Spoiler Tags?

Sarj14

Reaction score
Well, it is my first tutorial. So, how would I be able to improve it? More information, or what? I mean, all you said was you don't like it, not what was really wrong with it.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
We already have one of these. A better one of these.

Anyways, how to improve: Make one that hasn't been done before.

Romek like the new avatar... Pretty spiffy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.