Game crashes when I change the day/night speed with triggers

Hazanko

Reaction score
Whenever I use triggers to change the day/night cycle speed, it crashes the game. It only crashes if the day/night cycle has already started (ie after initialization), but even if I turn off the day/night cycle, change the speed, then turn it back on it still crashes.

What I'm really trying to accomplish is having nights that are 3x longer than the days. I already have a timer system in place for doing this but I would like to use the clock at the top as a reference, and I like the transition effects.

Any way to change the game time speed without crashing the darn thing?

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
You can change the day / night lengths in the Gameplay Constants.

Generally, when you want to change the speeds, you need to do it when the day / night cycle is on. So turn on the cycle first, then change the speed.

Can someone verify that? I'm basing that off my experience.

Hazanko

Reaction score
No matter what values I use in the game constants day and night are always exactly the same length.

I could change the UI for the clock but that would just make it so its not in sync with the actual game time, and it goes through the clock once for day and once for night so no matter what I do its gonna be the same for both.

I could use a periodic event to manually move time forward every second during the day, but that seems kinda clunky.

Thanks for the comments though.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
well, since there are like 8 time dots, and night is 3x as long...
that's 3 game hours per dot, which means your game should have 9.
So, if the game's time is 12h+, then pause time every 3 hours for 6 hours.

Hazanko

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Faster Day
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.10 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
      • (In-game time of day) Greater than or equal to 6.00
      • (In-game time of day) Less than or equal to 18.00
    • Actions
      • Game - Set the time of day to ((In-game time of day) + 0.01)

I added this trigger and got the desired result. Its smooth, adjustable and very light weight.

I just wish the built in functions for manipulating time worked better.:rolleyes:

Edit: elmstfreddie, yeah I ended up doing pretty much that but at a constant rate during the day

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.