Games not working

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
All my games aren't working properly and I've tried everything I know to try and fix it.

Crysis, one of the few that does work, doesn't work well. Heres a screenie:
blahcv7.png

As you can see there are textures stuck to the screen, in this case part of a road, but it changes as I play, sometimes bullet-marks and sometimes tire-tracks.

UT3 doesn't start at all, says something about an incompatibility.

CoD4 doesn't work, nor does CoD2.

I think the problem might be something to do with CoD2. I wanted to play multi player with my settings up high on my new screen, so I changed my video settings and it stopped working. Then the other games wouldn't work either.

All these games have previously run on my computer, each quite well, even Crysis. Here are my specs too:

- Pent D 2.8Ghz
- 2GB RAM 533Mhz
- 7900GS DDR3 256Mb PCI-e (450Mhz Core, 1320Mhz Memory)
- ASUS P5L Motherboard
- ChiMei 22" Monitor (got it recently, but the games have worked on there before)

Ultimately, if I can't fix it, I'll have to do a reformat, which I don't want to do. So hopefully one of you knows how to help me here. If theres anything I forgot just tell me.

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Oh, and heres a list of things I've tried:

- Reinstall drivers
- Reinstall dx9
- Many, Many reboots
- Resolution changes

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well your CPU and video card are lacking, which might explain why CoD4 doesn't start up.

Ah nevermind, just reread that this is a new issue that didn't occur before.

Rad

Reaction score
I really don't know the cause. Since its happening in multiple games I doubt its any of the games itself. And its not the monitor, period.

I have the same graphics card as you and all of those games work fine for me. I also have the same amount and speed of RAM as you do. It shouldn't be a hardware problem.

I suspect its a DirectX issue or a driver issue, possibly some other software can be causing it.

You might try uninstalling the drivers completely and reinstalling them, possibly something like that with DirectX. Get the latest version of direct X.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Can't it be something with your graphic card? Overheated/Broken/Drivers, or something like that?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You should go to your graphic card properties, or your card (driver) configuration utility and ramp down some of the visual settings. You might have turned up some special effects in your driver configuration program - which would explain why it goes across multiple games. You just need to get back to the same settings you had before - which might have been default if you have not tweaked them out in the past.

I also don't see anywhere in your post about what kind of graphics card you have?

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I suspect its a DirectX issue or a driver issue, possibly some other software can be causing it.

Yes, I suspected this too, because it happens across a range of games.

Can't it be something with your graphic card? Overheated/Broken/Drivers, or something like that?

I've got the latest drivers (169.2 i think) but I suspect theres a conflict somewhere with the installation.

So I'll completely uninstall the drivers, then reinstall. Also, is it possible to uninstall DX9? I might try starting both from scratch.

I also don't see anywhere in your post about what kind of graphics card you have?

ASUS EN7900GS
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=269&model=1349&modelmenu=1

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I completely reinstalled my drivers and my games now work. I suppose the problem lied in not uninstalling my drivers everytime I changed them, and then them not working properly afterwards.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help anyway. +rep

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.